Superlux Express Train
Sep 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #376 of 1,352
Quote:
so you have to use extra small socks?

do you think I could do this mod to my pannies. they use an oval shaped pad, though

Doesn't matter the shape of the ear pads, it will all work, hence the more stretchy/ tight the socks are the better.  Better fabric material will result in better comfort/ aesthetics.  Its easy as cake once you get the hang of it. Well I also used this mod on my monoprice 8323 headphones, and it does wonders.  So have fun you'll. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #377 of 1,352
Quote:
Doesn't matter the shape of the ear pads, it will all work, hence the more stretchy/ tight the socks are the better.  Better fabric material will result in better comfort/ aesthetics.  Its easy as cake once you get the hang of it. Well I also used this mod on my monoprice 8323 headphones, and it does wonders.  So have fun you'll. 

strange question but what brand/size sock did you use?

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #378 of 1,352
Quote:
strange question but what brand/size sock did you use?

LoL, the blue sock mod is some random chinese made socks I got from my trip to China that happened to be just around. Was initially messing around with some other ones but they didn't work/ plus I cut them too short so I wasn't able to cover the entire pad area.  So a really good pointer is to cut the socks a little bit longer then trim them down to the perfect length.  (The size would probably be a medium or a small in American standards?)

The sock mod I used on the red superlux phones were just black ladies stockings I got from the Dollar Store. LMAO Ladies stocking works really well cuz they are extremely thin and stretchy.

If you have socks that are tight/ stretchy ie; dress socks, they would probably work pretty well.  Socks of polyester material seems to be ideal from my experience. But just work with whatever you have and see if it works, most socks should work. 

LoL so much sock talk on a headphones forum. ha

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #379 of 1,352
Do you wrap the sock directly over the pad, or do you have to cut the pleather off first?

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #381 of 1,352
Quote:
Has anyone tried the HD330 ? I've seen Headfonia's review, but I'd like more input. I'm a bit intrigued.

Here at Audiohipster, we have a couple of HD-330 left,  to me they sound more like the 660, & (440 with their clunky design), all have 40MM drivers... mind you then most all their other models,( for example the 662, 681 668B, (669 with that panty weight penis connector altho don't seems to effect the 668B as much...) all the 50MM drivers & may look similar, at first glance, but far from it... totally sound and perform way different one from the other,) ...  the 330 is semi open, altho not as open as the 681 or 668B for singing along with... the HD-330 is a very nice great sounding headphone,  i prefer the HD-660, in the studio and listing as well.  

SuperSlutz does have some great sounding headphones our two favorites that our mod worthy is the 681 & 662...  unbelievable what Steve Rothermel can do to these... and please no caps or resisters...  just unbelievable difference.  

we use the HD-662F a lot in the studio tracking loud live bands, the flat response & no hype 'd up frequencies... make it pleasure to track the bass and guitarist in the same room with the drummer. 

and the stock HD-681 is good to set up a mix with ... with the deep reaching sub tonic tones and sweltering highs... your mix comes out pretty good, nice tight bass not over emphasized, and the highs are not stabbing you to death...  I like this headphone, sounds more like the K240 then all the others... except on steroids...  Keyboard players should love this headphone. 

The HD-662 ... man i like this headphone too, it is deep with a wide smooth mid... like a river... man just feels good... with that extreme upper airy highs... don't you know.   

Cheers 
 Doyen 

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #383 of 1,352
After finishing my t50rp i got the samson sr850, and love them.  First mod was the 2 pence mod with a touch with discs glued over, really improves it more than i thought it would.

Next up:

Pads
Recable
Headband

Anything else?........... 

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #384 of 1,352
x2 on the 662F. I just did a super easy quick mod to these together with new pads ----what a sound. Insanely great.
 The Creative Soundblaster World Of Warcraft pads just arrived tonight. Super easy to install and a perfect fit. The comfort is unreal. Same inner holes and height as the stock pads,.
 Here's a few pics of this mod. I am used to modding orthos so this was a bit different than I am used to dealing with, in addition the baffle vents screwed up my usual rates of special acoustic filler so I had to drop my rates down.
 It's very important to use the inner opening stock foam and fabric discs that came with the stock pads.  It's what the factory has tuned these things with( obviously ).
Simply excellent sound, not that they don't sound excellent stock, this just is the icing on the cake, that little extra that just does it..

Creatology thin adhesive foam around the center there, Dynamat around the outsides of that area and that is also topped off with the Creatology foam. ( not all steps are shown here thought I had taken pics. )
On the baffle rears there are two sections between the white fabric covered tuning ports. In these two areas I added a curved piece  of Dynamat that same width also topped with Creatology foam.
EDIT FEB23 '13 :So not shown there is the red foam that covers all the dynamat in the cup rears, I also bumped up the acoustic filler a notch, and stuck a Micheals thin adhesive craft felt on the raised circular post top directly behind the driver, cutting a small line to allow the wiring through, also made sure to have the felt go around the rubber bumpers and not ruin those.  Most excellent. Off to test them to see if this knocked off the bit of peaks i was getting and give a better more natural increased staging ( properties of the special acoustic filler )

Most importantly the rates of Acoustic filler i use had to be tweaked a bit due to these ports in the baffle. If they were an open can it would have been fine but since they're closed up I had to hit the sweet spot between too much ( losing details and staging ) and too little ( a slight peak on the highs not bad though ) Fairly easy to find that zone but that's because I am used to the particular stuff's properties.

What I noticed about opening these besides how easy it is to open them, is that the wires are secured at a pint just before the solder joints, so if you are careful you won't do any damage to the wires with repeated openings.

the pads, my gawd the pads are so comfortable and soft.
 they look like they are stretching too much around the baffle but not so, a perfect fit. It's obviously easiest if you fold back that pad rears then roll em back over the lip.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #385 of 1,352
Quote:
x2 on the 662F. I just did a super easy quick mod to these together with new pads ----what a sound. Insanely great.
 The Creative Soundblaster World Of Warcraft pads just arrived tonight. Super easy to install and a perfect fit. The comfort is unreal. Same inner holes and height as the stock pads,.
 Here's a few pics of this mod. I am used to modding orthos so this was a bit different than I am used to dealing with, in addition the baffle vents screwed up my usual rates of special acoustic filler so I had to drop my rates down.
 It's very important to use the inner opening stock foam and fabric discs that came with the stock pads.  It's what the factory has tuned these things with( obviously ).
Simply excellent sound, not that they don't sound excellent stock, this just is the icing on the cake, that little extra that just does it..

Creatology thin adhesive foam around the center there, Dynamat around the outsides of that area and that is also topped off with the Creatology foam. ( not all steps are shown here thought I had taken pics. )
On the baffle rears there are two sections between the white fabric covered tuning ports. In these two areas I added a curved piece  of Dynamat that same width also topped with Creatology foam.
 Most importantly the rates of Acoustic filler i use had to be tweaked a bit due to these ports in the baffle. If they were an open can it would have been fine but since they're closed up I had to hit the sweet spot between too much ( losing details and staging ) and too little ( a slight peak on the highs not bad though ) Fairly easy to find that zone but that's because I am used to the particular stuff's properties.

What I noticed about opening these besides how easy it is to open them, is that the wires are secured at a pint just before the solder joints, so if you are careful you won't do any damage to the wires with repeated openings.

the pads, my gawd the pads are so comfortable and soft.
 they look like they are stretching too much around the baffle but not so, a perfect fit. It's obviously easiest if you fold back that pad rears then roll em back over the lip.

how do the 662f sound? I heard its like a fully closed 681

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #386 of 1,352
This is my only Superlux can at the moment not heard the 681. This mod seems to polish it up a bit. 
Maybe I should get a 681  to compare, but it's not fair comparing modded to unmodded.
The 681 was good for classical wasn't it. I lose track.  There's 3 versions of this thing gotta go check about the 681. Now look what you made me do :)

I would say they are close to neutralish/flat with a great bass quality ( not overemphasized ) and highs that are not lacking in any way. You're gonna hear everything that's there in the tracks.Which is why Doyen ( "audiohipster" in the above post ) would use these in the studio. With the slight edge off those these are fantastic. Any acoustic filler should help you there, of course these softer pads certainly help!

ymmv of course. I'm not one that can handle any sort of resonance for long but I also have to have the details.

Definitely bang for the buck these things. I'm off to give these a few days listening now to check the mod over %100

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #387 of 1,352
I have a 631 and it's extremely painful to the ears. The pads are just too thin to the point that the drivers are the ones making contact to my ears. Will the WOW pads fit?

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #388 of 1,352
hmm i dunno here are the measurements from the stock 662 pads.

the rear part of the pads that sits on the baffle of the stock pads is 105mm, these WOW ones should be~100mm.

Pretty sure the WOW pads are on Amazon under "Sound Blaster World of Warcraft Headset Ear Cushions"
yep $15

Product Dimensions: 3.9 x 3.9 x 2.2 inches

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #390 of 1,352
Please help me out i Have Stock 662 superlux (red ones) need to open the right can and i cant, o got the screws out but it wont open, it sound like something loose in there also the metal headband resonates if i touch them, anyone has a measurement out of the vendor specs? any filter mod to make it sound closert to a beyer 8xx or 9xx?
Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back