Superlux Express Train
Aug 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #362 of 1,352
If you do decide to get the Superlux HD-330.
You can order them from Thomann in Germany and also get the Beyer DT990/880 Velour ear pads with them.
Total would be around $86, which includes shipping,  7 days shipping time.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #364 of 1,352
Quote:
Looks like I'm going to get a Superlux HD330.

Will the amp on the Asus Xonar DG be enough for it?

The Xonar DG can half-way decently drive 250-Ohm headphones and the HD-330 are 150-Ohm, so you should do ok.

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #365 of 1,352
I've had my Superlux HD668B's for a few days now. I understand the plastic body for the price... the sound is really good for $50.
The ear pads bother my ears after a few hours. All I can find is this (look below) for replacement ear pads, and they cost as much as the headphones!

Anybody know a cheaper replacement ear pads, but still better than the stock ones?

$40 - AKG K-240/270/271 Velour Pads - Image

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #366 of 1,352
Quote:
I've had my Superlux HD668B's for a few days now. I understand the plastic body for the price... the sound is really good for $50.
The ear pads bother my ears after a few hours. All I can find is this (look below) for replacement ear pads, and they cost as much as the headphones!
Anybody know a cheaper replacement ear pads, but still better than the stock ones?

These seem to be well liked by Superlux owners.
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Blaster-Warcraft-Headset-Cushions/dp/B004N8J64Q

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #367 of 1,352
Quote:

There are some pleather creative earpads on amazon for $15 that fit. They are a much higher quality pleather and they don't bother your ears nearly as much. They are also a bit deeper and really really squishy and soft. They are a pain to get on, but they DO fit.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Blaster-Warcraft-Headset-Cushions/dp/B004N8J64Q

I got those for my 681 and they made them 20x more bearable. They don't change the sound much because the foam piece in the back is very thin

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #368 of 1,352
Quote:

Two Words: "SOCK MOD" 
All you need is a nice comfy new pair of socks and wrap it over the stock pads of the superlux as depicted in this tutorial. Cheap, provides lots of comfort and most importantly no more sweaty ears!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/1335#post_7673723

Have fun.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #369 of 1,352
Quote:
Two Words: "SOCK MOD" 
All you need is a nice comfy new pair of socks and wrap it over the stock pads of the superlux as depicted in this tutorial. Cheap, provides lots of comfort and most importantly no more sweaty ears!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/1335#post_7673723

Have fun.
tongue_smile.gif

Wait a sec...so I'm just assuming you have to take the stock pads off first right? And How exactly does this work with the superlux pads? The pads used in the tutorial are grado pads.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #370 of 1,352
Thanks all for the W.O.W. headset pads info, just grabbed a set for the 662F=half the $ of the AKG ones there and pleather is best imho for bass.
Will check back in after I get em. Stock pads are o.k. after they warm up a bit but could always be better and a bit more pliable would help.  I think I will try to mod the stock ones by opening them up and replacing the inner foam. If that works out in an easy non-destructive manner I'll post pics on that also.
Going to line the cup rears also with the 1/8 inch thick Creatology Adhesive foam see if it brings down some peaks.

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #371 of 1,352
Quote:
Wait a sec...so I'm just assuming you have to take the stock pads off first right? And How exactly does this work with the superlux pads? The pads used in the tutorial are grado pads.

It's the same logic really, you don't even need to take the stock pads off the superlux headphones. Just cut the socks to a certain length as described in that tutorial and just wrap it over the stock ones and then tuck the trimmed side of the sock into the gap inside the ear hole/ driver area. If you cut it nicely enough you don't even have to tuck it in/ much. 

Oh if you use thick socks as I did with one of my superlux phones, I wrapped the sock almost all the way over the phone and left only the smaller rotating circle  with the vents open, making the headphone look something like a earmuff. LoL For me this solved my pleather sweaty ears problem as well as insulated the sound/ made it sound more tight/ better, it's a win win!!! 

But if you use really thin socks, such as black ladies stockings I used on my other superlux, you can tuck one end of the sock into the gap where the stock pads covers the phone, then all you need to do is tuck the other end of the sock into the gap inside the earhole/ driver area.  This makes the sock fit snug onto the original pads. Basically you are just putting a thin layer of stocking over the stock pads so the pleather pads would no longer make you sweat.  

Hope this makes sense, but once you do it, it's self explanatory really and you'll know what I mean. It's easy as cake and cost nothing. So have fun and get creative with it!

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #373 of 1,352
AHhahaha priceless pics! Maybe if you use used socks the result will be better
popcorn.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #374 of 1,352
Quote:
Doesn't work very well haha. Not sure how to get it to tuck in on the inner side.

http://i.imgur.com/8333m.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zvpAZ.jpg

Well you got to get socks that are really tight cuz the cotton/ wool? ones you used are too thick and loose as in the fabric material.  Here I'll upload some pics of my superluxes, one using a blue semi think sock and the other using black ladies stockings.  The stretchiness of the material of the socks makes a HUGE difference on how well this mod works, plus it will look a lot better if it's wrapped really tight over the stock pleather pads. Alright have fun and experiment with more materials!!!

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #375 of 1,352
Quote:
Well you got to get socks that are really tight cuz the cotton/ wool? ones you used are too thick and loose as in the fabric material.  Here I'll upload some pics of my superluxes, one using a blue semi think sock and the other using black ladies stockings.  The stretchiness of the material of the socks makes a HUGE difference on how well this mod works, plus it will look a lot better if it's wrapped really tight over the stock pleather pads. Alright have fun and experiment with more materials!!!

so you have to use extra small socks?

do you think I could do this mod to my pannies. they use an oval shaped pad, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back