Superlux Express Train
Jun 14, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,096 of 1,352
http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD562-Black-HD-562-headphones/dp/B00SGJP55M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434258924&sr=8-1&keywords=HD562

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #1,097 of 1,352
Jun 16, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,102 of 1,352
  http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD562-Black-HD-562-headphones/dp/B00SGJP55M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434258924&sr=8-1&keywords=HD562

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

Ordered these Sunday night, delivered by Tuesday 3pm to Southeastern US with Amazon Prime. Superlux did it again! Awesome value for under $40 and manages to have a completely different sound signature than the HD668B, HD681EVO, HD531, and HD631 - all models I own and have bought for under $40  - and in one case for $21 shipped.

Clamping force is largest of any cans I've had - and is not too variable due to mostly plastic construction. The sound is solid with in your face midrange. It is the opposite of V-shaped - which could be called A-shaped - except the hump isn't so crazy as to overshadow the bass and treble. The bass is solid and there - but not overly emphasized. The treble is there, but seems to miss the very high range  - which really has no musical content - but it's absence is felt by the lack of air or sparkle present in other cans. However, it doesn't sound like the treble was just turned down - everything is still there, it's just not shiny or attention drawing.

The sound signature seems to suggest use in recording for self-monitoring while recording vocals. I happen to use cans every week for this purpose and will try them out for this very purpose at the end of the week. These cans emphasize the right frequencies of the spectrum for this very purpose and they can  be driven loudly enough for this purpose.

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,103 of 1,352
  Ordered these Sunday night, delivered by Tuesday 3pm to Southeastern US with Amazon Prime. Superlux did it again! Awesome value for under $40 and manages to have a completely different sound signature than the HD668B, HD681EVO, HD531, and HD631 - all models I own and have bought for under $40  - and in one case for $21 shipped.

Clamping force is largest of any cans I've had - and is not too variable due to mostly plastic construction. The sound is solid with in your face midrange. It is the opposite of V-shaped - which could be called A-shaped - except the hump isn't so crazy as to overshadow the bass and treble. The bass is solid and there - but not overly emphasized. The treble is there, but seems to miss the very high range  - which really has no musical content - but it's absence is felt by the lack of air or sparkle present in other cans. However, it doesn't sound like the treble was just turned down - everything is still there, it's just not shiny or attention drawing.

The sound signature seems to suggest use in recording for self-monitoring while recording vocals. I happen to use cans every week for this purpose and will try them out for this very purpose at the end of the week. These cans emphasize the right frequencies of the spectrum for this very purpose and they can  be driven loudly enough for this purpose.

Really amazing.

Pictures? How would you compare these against KSC75 and Tascam TH 02?

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #1,104 of 1,352

Really amazing.

Pictures? How would you compare these against KSC75 and Tascam TH 02?

I can't comment on the Tascam cans because I've never tried them. I do own the KSC75 and PortaPro and interchange the drivers and clips depending on my mood. The Koss and Superlux have completely different sound signatures and therefore uses for me. I've tried the Koss for self-monitoring vocals, and for that - they are absolutely horrible since they severely attenuate the very frequency a typical male vocalist needs to hear due to their V-shaped signature. The bass on the Koss is also not clear enough for monitoring purposes plus the Bass kind of bleeds into the lower end of the frequencies I need for monitoring.

The Koss are much much more comfortable than the Superlux due to very little, or in the case of using clips, zero clamping force. I tend to use the Koss when walking around in public when I want to be aware of my surroundings and also be able to talk to others if they should be silly enough to initiate a conversation. When played at higher volumes, the Koss have a little grain in them - but when using the Koss I usually keep the volume quite low. The somewhat one-note bass character of the Koss also aren't really an issue at the volumes I listen to. I am unable to tell the brand of bass guitar or amp used using the Koss, but I can hear the bass very loudly. I need to use the Superlux more to conclude anything about the bass. Keep in mind that I've only owned the Superlux for a couple hours.

When listening to music, I tend to play at rather low volumes. However, monitoring headphones tend to be played very loudly and I choose colored sound on purpose in order to accentuate the instrument or vocalist being recorded or monitored. The Superlux seemed to be colored in the exact fashion I need for live vocal monitoring- but still able to play the other parts of the frequencies with some clarity and separation.

One thing strange about the Superlux I found is that if I push the cups against my ears - like to do to all cans to position them - they make a very loud squeek in my ear when I release my hands. When I did this on purpose, the sound reproducibly repeats - kind of sounds like a mouse, but at frequency of of around 2 kHz. If I try doing this with no music playing, same squeek.

I don't think I would ever use the Superlux for critical listening or walking around in public due to the clamping force and also the total lack of sparkly and euphoric sound that comes with the higher frequencies that I perceive to be missing. However, I think they are in a good position to become my #1 vocal monitoring cans - but I need to use them for a significantly more amount of time to make a conclusion.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,105 of 1,352

(Pardon the not-s-good picture, it's quite dark in here, and my phone's camera sucks lol)

Just out of the box, it's somewhat V-shaped, with the midbass being very powerful, but without sounding too dark.
What really hooked me was the amount of detail present in these headphones: definitely not what you'd expect from something within this price range. So many stuff I only hear on $200+ headphones and IEMs can be clearly heard with the HD562. Awesome!

It came with some velour pads, but for some reason I can't put it on at all. Like it's too small for the cups or something. So I just stuck with the stock pads.
Oh, and the clamping. Yeah, it's very very hard. Makes it difficult to wear it for too long.

I'll try to come up with a better review in a few days' or weeks' time when I've gotten used to its sound.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,106 of 1,352

(Pardon the not-s-good picture, it's quite dark in here, and my phone's camera sucks lol)

Just out of the box, it's somewhat V-shaped, with the midbass being very powerful, but without sounding too dark.
What really hooked me was the amount of detail present in these headphones: definitely not what you'd expect from something within this price range. So many stuff I only hear on $200+ headphones and IEMs can be clearly heard with the HD562. Awesome!

It came with some velour pads, but for some reason I can't put it on at all. Like it's too small for the cups or something. So I just stuck with the stock pads.
Oh, and the clamping. Yeah, it's very very hard. Makes it difficult to wear it for too long.

I'll try to come up with a better review in a few days' or weeks' time when I've gotten used to its sound.

Couldn't you just put them on a box of the size of your head (All night) to see if the clamping gets loose?

Thats what I´ve done with my cans.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,108 of 1,352
After having them for just about a week, I do notice the detail, but I still note the lack of sparkle and shimmer - which is not a bad thing. These are a very efficient pair of cans compared to the rest of the Superlux cans I own. They did very well for monitoring.

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #1,110 of 1,352

That is kind of expected,they are made for a DJ and monitoring,clamp has to be strong.

When DJing with other cans, I've had to put another set of cans on top of the ones I use to increase isolation. I don't have to do this with the 562. The swivel out left cup is also kind of nice. It's kind of different that the cable comes out the right, since all my other single sided cans have them coming out the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back