Suitable amp for Denon ah-d7000?
May 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #31 of 53
I've come to suspect that the Burson 160D is the way to go with the Denons, and your post (mishalex) helped out a lot to further push me toward this, what seems to be an amazing, amp :D
Now the only issue is money, as it is a bit pricey (especially in Sweden).

Thanks for the reply :D

May 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #32 of 53
Quote:
The thing with the Little dotI+ is that it is a hybrid tube amp, so it is half transistor and half tubes. Mine takes no time to warm up, only it sounds better after a while like most amps.

I would honestly recommend a hybrid with denon's because you will get the better timing and current associated with SS amps (better for low impedance cans) but the big soundstage of tubes.  

x2......................i am listening to the d7000 on a xcan v3 hybrid now...superb sounding...airy,..clear...organic..alive.

May 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #33 of 53
Nice suggestion.  You might be able to get the best of both worlds with a good hybrid amp.

May 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

x2......................i am listening to the d7000 on a xcan v3 hybrid now...superb sounding...airy,..clear...organic..alive.

Yes... good... but a lot better on the X-CAN v8, which provides more current to drive low impedance phones really well.  You will notice an improvement.

In fact... I believe the X-CANv8 drives my Denons better than all the other amps I've tried with them.

May 14, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #35 of 53
I've owned the Denons with SS, hybrid, and tube amps.. the Denons sound beautiful out of tubes, out of my hybrid amp they sounded good (not great), out of the SS Nuforce amps they sounded awful (IMO). 

I tried the little dot tube amps and have gone through 2 Woo amps, I really don't think there is a much a Woo amp can't do.

Just my thoughts

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #36 of 53
I really hope the d7000's sound that much better than the d2000's because the mids on the 2000 are absolutely horrible.  Also i would not ever spend that kind of money on a headphone that has any sibilance

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #37 of 53
Well there are many headphones that are sibilant and quite expensive. That said, the D7000s are much less sibilant than the D2000s, but certain tracks can become harsh - if recorded that way. Generally I am sensitive to sibilance and I thoroughly enjoyed the D7000s (one of my all time favorite headphones).

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #38 of 53
I really enjoyed them with the Musical Fidelity HPA, thought it was a great combo

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #39 of 53
i think i'm going to switch to speakers and vinyls.
Headphones are cool but i only need one pair and i think my hd598's will cover me for most music.  they aren't all that great at detail retrieval which leaves a black blackground on songs with hissing in them. the mids are smooth the highs are absolutely beautiful and bass is good but not much impact when needed.  because of the not so great detail retrieval they work great with mp3's. 
I think the headphone industry is kind of gimmicky. I'm sure some will argue and i have not yet owned a true pair of audiophile headphones but i feel like me having to do all this research just to find a headphone and amplifier that match and then be let down the way i have been is kind of bs.  
btw not in a great mood

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

I think the headphone industry is kind of gimmicky. I'm sure some will argue and i have not yet owned a true pair of audiophile headphones but i feel like me having to do all this research just to find a headphone and amplifier that match and then be let down the way i have been is kind of bs.  
btw not in a great mood

I think you'll find that the same goes with full size speakers; they're also dependable on the amplifier. I think this is less discussed because there's so much more affecting the sound than just the source, amplifier and speaker. The room plays a huge role in how they sound, and I think it might drown out many of the differences between different amplifiers.

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #42 of 53
I run my Denons out of various vintage integrated amps/receivers with good luck. And a couple of the set ups (6 in total) have speakers as well, so that's an added benefit of going in the speaker amp direction. Cost of entry to vintage is reasonable as well, with prices less than $100 to get you started.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #43 of 53
  Anyone use the D7000's with a DAC that has a built-in headphone amp and really love what they're hearing? 

A few ones, mainly solid state designs. It's more suitable than tubes

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #44 of 53
Well, currently I am using the Asus Xonar essence one Muses edition, and while it sounds clear and crisp, it really did not marry well with the Denons.. 
I have removed the cups to reduce the resonance that seems to be around 8kHz and to increase the bass slightly, so I can listen without destroying my ears... The backside is that the sound lacks direction (its been discussed in a few threads on this forum I believe). 
All in all I would not recommend the Asus Muses edition for the D7k.
(Also, the first unit did not have the low/high impedance jumper, but this was quickly take care of by an Asus correspondent on this forum without this jumper set to low its unbearable.)
So far the best audio experience with these cans for me has been with the PCI soundcard Creative X-FI Extreme Music. I know it is very...."non-audiofilic" to mess around with the equalizer, but I could really configure it so that I and all my friends who tried it had a hard time stop listening to them.

The hunt continues, and though many suggest solid state amps for D7ks, I am really interested in the Woo Audio Firefly, it looks really fancy.

@ DoctaCosmos: there is a HUGE difference between the D7k and the D2k, I too became so disappointed in the audio produced by them when I first tried them on that I felt that it probably was useless to continue the search for a good pair of headphones (The D2k were the first ones I tried in the more expensive category).

@Kikivan: The Asus Muses Edition is a dac with a built in headphone amp, however, no love to be found here.

@Oregonian: Do you have any specific models to recommend?

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #45 of 53
  Well, currently I am using the Asus Xonar essence one Muses edition, and while it sounds clear and crisp, it really did not marry well with the Denons.. 
I have removed the cups to reduce the resonance that seems to be around 8kHz and to increase the bass slightly, so I can listen without destroying my ears... The backside is that the sound lacks direction (its been discussed in a few threads on this forum I believe). 
All in all I would not recommend the Asus Muses edition for the D7k.
(Also, the first unit did not have the low/high impedance jumper, but this was quickly take care of by an Asus correspondent on this forum without this jumper set to low its unbearable.)
So far the best audio experience with these cans for me has been with the PCI soundcard Creative X-FI Extreme Music. I know it is very...."non-audiofilic" to mess around with the equalizer, but I could really configure it so that I and all my friends who tried it had a hard time stop listening to them.

The hunt continues, and though many suggest solid state amps for D7ks, I am really interested in the Woo Audio Firefly, it looks really fancy.

@ DoctaCosmos: there is a HUGE difference between the D7k and the D2k, I too became so disappointed in the audio produced by them when I first tried them on that I felt that it probably was useless to continue the search for a good pair of headphones (The D2k were the first ones I tried in the more expensive category).

@Kikivan: The Asus Muses Edition is a dac with a built in headphone amp, however, no love to be found here.

@Oregonian: Do you have any specific models to recommend?

I have two Kenwood KA-5700 integrated amps, a Realistic STA64B receiver, a Pioneer SA-7500MKII integrated, a Fisher CA-880 integrated and finally a Pioneer Spec1/2 rack system that also has the SG-9500 EQ and I feed it all with either vinyl, CD's or iTunes/Pandora/Spotify so a lot of variety.  I know there is some discussion about impedance mismatch but I just know how they sound out of the vintage amps - amazing. 

I've also run the Alpha Dog, TH600 and Ultrasone Signature DJ off them when I was auditioning them and am looking forward to the new Audeze LXC soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back