Suggestions for closed headphones with decent subbass.
Sep 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

namaiki

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'd love any suggestions for closed low fatigue headphones with "movie/cinema" type sub bass that isn't very much rolled off. Budget is preferably <$1k.

I've heard that these might be hard to get a decent seal and might therefore sound bass light.
AKG K550
Beyer T70

I didn't find too much about these in terms of comparisons. I've heard that they might not be comfortable and might experience sibilance along with not always easy to get a good seal.
GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35 D
GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.300 D

Based off the frequency graph, I was also considering getting me some Fostex TH900s, but they are a bit pricy and the hinges seem fragile.

Also somewhat considering the Sony MDR-1R, but they aren't released yet.

I'd be "upgrading" from my Beyer DT250-250 which are great, and I have my ATH-W1000X which have bass emphasis, occasionally more detailed than the DT250, but subbass is quickly rolled off - noticeable in a song - Age of Dub http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQlpKCmTMoc @ 2:45. Also, I am assuming that the two lower bass sounds still are there in the song after compression, etc. No proof that they are there because I have not heard them.

Not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just kind of floating around after recently getting my ATH-W1000x which I hoped would be my last headphone purchase ever.

I generally listen to j-pop.

My current setup is: Laptop-> Dacport with 1-ohm output impedance mod (not the most detailed according to what I have read, but nice and smooth sounding)-> Headphones. *cough*

Anyway, sorry for the rambling and thanks for any questions/comments/suggestions.

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 8
LCD 2 has almost no subbass rolloff

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 8
If you can get a hold of them, the discontinued Denons all have nice sub-bass, although their highs can be a bit sharp for some.
The K550 has nice sub-bass but needs to be equalized to be truly earth-rattling. They are a neutral headphone so without EQ, the bass might not be loud enough for a movie theater-like experience.

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 8
I've heard a lot of good things about the LCD-2, but I think that those are open or semi-open.

If I went for the Denons, I guess I would if I could find a one at a decent price. They're quite costly now and unfortunately probably share the same issues as the TH900 (hinges are a weak point).

Any other suggestions for closed high-end headphones with decent subbass?

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Be aware that D5000/7000 are semi-open and have very good sub-bass and yes D5000 may sound bright for some people but their sub-bass goes deeper than D7000 while on the other side D7000's highs are not as bright as D7000 and that's why I have D7000. I think you still can get them new and they within your budget. I heard LCD2 at the meets properly amped but never was able to get what is so special with them comparing to D7000 or T1 (T1 are open so will not work for you). Also K550 is lacking sub-bass rven when driven by very expensive amp

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 8
The germans have a great seal and are the best headphones for isolation and durability. they are no match though for the denon dX000's imo though. They also don't have movie cinema type sub bass either but they reach low and can be fatiguing.

It's hard to find a non fatiguing closed hp with good isolation and sub bass. 

Maybe the jvc hp-dx1000

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 8
  The germans have a great seal and are the best headphones for isolation and durability. they are no match though for the denon dX000's imo though. They also don't have movie cinema type sub bass either but they reach low and can be fatiguing.

It's hard to find a non fatiguing closed hp with good isolation and sub bass. 

Maybe the jvc hp-dx1000

Hmm, I prefer my GMP 8.300 D over the D2000 anytime. Better bass, mids, highs, PRaT.
In fact better everything, except for soundstage maybe. But I don't care about soundstage.

Closed, sub bass and non fatiguing: DT 150 and GMP 250. Though the latter doesn't isolate good.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 8

Hmm, I prefer my GMP 8.300 D over the D2000 anytime. Better bass, mids, highs, PRaT.
In fact better everything, except for soundstage maybe. But I don't care about soundstage.

Closed, sub bass and non fatiguing: DT 150 and GMP 250. Though the latter doesn't isolate good.

I have had the gmp 8.35 D and the d2k. I fould the mids better better on the gmp but the bass and detail to be a better experience with the d2k. I thought it to be a slight step up from the german in soundstage. Overall I would buy the gmp over the d2k because of its build and mids, but I am a midrange head and a bass head and the german 8.35 d bass wasn't bass head level but was satisfactory and reached deep thought at times I wanted a tad more. 

Both weren't far from eachother in fatigue to me, though the d2k was a little more and had a less smooth sound. I have never heard the 8.300 D.

I didn't have them together so my memory could be wrong. But if the person is considering the other denons(d5000/7000) thats when I would imagine it not being a fair match particularly because the user mentioned sub bass in movie rumbling quantities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back