STUDIO I Evaluation!!!
Jun 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #496 of 559
Well, the skips have gone away, don't know why.

Now it seems as if there's a difference between playback from the card and the internal memory.  FLAC files play back from the external card but are filled with pops and ticks when played back from the internal memory.  This proved true for different types of music, but was especially noticeable with solo classical music, such as violin and piano sonatas.

Above I thought that classical music playback was disappointing but listening after burn in and through full size headphones makes a big difference.  I was getting generally disappointed with playback of all types of music with the Ety4s and the Studio.  A few days ago I went back to my Grado 225's and AKG 702 and found the sound of classical music to be superior.  Not just for classical but for all types of music.  Seems as if this player may be best for full size headphone playback.

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #499 of 559
Guys,

Craig is alive and well, but very busy.  I had a brief exchange of emails with him this morning, but I'm in the same boat as the rest of you.  For what it's worth, I have had the opportunity to test the Studio using the pre-production sample Craig had brought with him to Can Jam.  I was extremely impressed how well it drove the attached, recabled Senn HD650s using FLAC files from internal memory. The unit had the recessed HP-out and Line-In jacks, which will be corrected in the production run.  Those he expected to arrive shortly, in a manner of the next few days.

There aren't that many DAPs out there with a Class A rated HP op-amps integrated, certainly not in a compact size like the Studio.  I really liked the solid-as-a-brick construction.  Reminded me of the unibody MacBook units.  I have promised a detailed review and comparison between it and the iMod once my unit arrives.  For now, I think it has the potential to be an excellent compact DAP for any situations when a DAP/amp combo may not be a most convenient choice and when an iPod Nano just won't do acoustically.

For now, please be patient.  Just like in past dealings with him, Craig always comes thru.  

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #500 of 559
Mmm.. so reassuring.... I need to get it soon though because I'm going abroad... can't be stuck with only a clip+ for months... ahhhhh! :frowning2:

On the other hand, I wonder how this will stack up the new hifiman - it seems to already be setting the standard and it's not even out yet XD

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #501 of 559
I spoke to Fang and briefly listened to the new HM-601 prototype.  He had brought two of those with him to Can Jam, but they were handmade units with incorrect labeling on their plastic casing.  The Studio 1 prototype seemed to be farther along in its development, so it wouldn't be fair to compare them at this time, but I do anticipate them being competitive offerings in the same segment in terms of features, sound quality and usability (size).  Although the Studio 1 was still smaller, I don't know for sure whether the HM-601 casing dimensions and/or materials will change when it reaches production stage.

Sorry for not being able to provide more data points for you.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #502 of 559
Hey, at least you posted them :) - I'm already getting a studio, so I won't be getting a hifiman unless it's a significant upgrade ( I doubt it though because they are as you said - competitive in the same price range) ... as always - exciting to get something from Craig :)

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #503 of 559

Quote:
@sbulack

How about AMP3 pair with MX 980, is it a good match?

You've since sent me this question in a PM, and I've replied to that PM, but I'll reply to this question in this thread for the benefit of others who may be interested.

Yes, I find the Sennheiser Mx980 to be a wonderful match with the Studio.  The sound using this pairing comes very close to the sound from multiple very good full-size headphones in my collection in a much more conveniently portable earbud package.  I'm very happy with the sound from this pairing of player and phone with all genres of music I've used this rig to listen to - including classical (from full orchestral down to small ensembles and solo instrumental performances, including the hard-to-get-really-right piano).  This is important for me, since I use this rig in my cubicle at work: the leakage from these buds is low-level enough for me to enjoy really full, rich sound without unsolicitedly "sharing" my music with my cubicle neighbors.

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #504 of 559

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the surgery. Glad you are getting better :)

Thanks very much for your good wishes.  They are appreciated.

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #507 of 559
Though I am also getting quite impatient, it's probably due to a mix of can jam and the recessed headphone hjacks... But the wait is kill in me... Hehe

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #508 of 559

Quote:
out of curiosity, how many people have gotten their Studio yet? I thought it was mailed out a while ago, but it seems only a few people have actually gotten it

I have received the Studio that I pre-ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back