STUDIO I Evaluation!!!
May 26, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #466 of 559

Quote:
My 600Ω DT880 were too loud for extended listening at volume 24/31, so please be careful with your ears. You are probably shooting way above 95 dB or so. Maybe even 100.

Thank you, I will.  I should clarify that when I'm listening in a normal environment for extended listening I don't play it any louder than 19 or 20.  But on a noisy train during rush hour on my commute is when I need it higher.  No longer than a half hour or so.  Longer than that is not safe I hear.  Under a half hour at higher volumes is ok I think.

May 26, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #467 of 559
Those situations are very dangerous: a headphone needs to be at least 9 dbl over its environment to be heard comfortably. Actually, the louder it gets past that, the better. That is why keenly isolating earphones/headphones are great. Even the DT770, which isolates well, isn't fully safe. Again, please be careful. 90dBl only takes 15 minutes to cause damage. 

May 27, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #469 of 559

Quote:
Well, thank you again.  Can you recommend a nice sounding full size headphone supra-aural or circum-aural that isolates really well for the Subway?  I'll keep the volume down in the meantime... 

Supposedly the Sennheiser HD25 II ("NOT THE SP MODEL") is supposed to be a nice sounding set of portable cans? Didn't you have the ESW9's?

May 27, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #470 of 559
I do have the ESW9's but I'm looking into better isolation so I don't have to blast the volume so loud on the Subway.  Shigzeo has me scared to death, and he's probably right!  I seem to remember my Ultrasone HFI 580's having nice isolation, I might just get another set.  I liked those cans alot..

May 27, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #472 of 559
Craig, is it possible for you to post a summary review and evaluation?  Do you compare or contract the Studio with comparable players - what's better, what's worse, etc?  When will Whiplash post the Studio on their website for sale?  Thanks.

May 27, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #473 of 559
Just came in the mail.  My initial impressions of it are positive.  Tried it with Grado 225 and RE0.  Volume was good in the upper teens and low 20's across a variety of music (FLAC and MP3) except for some quiet classical music.  Flac plays just fine.

While the interface looks the same as the Amp3, it just seems easier to navigate.  Maybe I just got used to the Amp3, although it's been months since I last used one.  The selections look the same, even the eBook (?).  No EQ.

The heft of this thing is impressive.  Unlike, say the Rocco, this player feels substantial.  The buttons are working better than the circle thing in the Amp3.  The plug in at the top do looked like they were drilled out.  The RE0 plug fit fine and the Grado adapter worked well too.

Even without a burn in, the sound is good.  The Amp3 had a very tinny sound out of the box that isn't present here.  Hiss isn't a concern for me, so I won't comment on that.

Came with a pair of earbuds and IEM's, charger, and usb cord. 

My initial thought is that it is everything the Amp3 was supposed to be.

May 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #474 of 559
OK, just got the T1 today, but don't have my amp for it yet.  But the Studio drives the T1 to quite a loud level, I am surprised it does as well as it is doing with a 600 Ohm headphone!  I really haven't had much time to play with the Studio this week, but I hope I have time soon so I can post more impressions.

May 29, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #475 of 559
Is anyone here going to be receiving the Studio-I and using it with audiophile EIM's like JH13's or 16's?  If so I would love to see a review.  I am especially concerned about hiss.  I see lots of recent discussion about the Studio, but not the Studio-I.  Has it also been released or has been delayed?

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #479 of 559
I tried the microcard over the weekend.  Boot up time is minimal.  Playback was error free.  My only complaint is the lack of a resume function. After playing off the card, the player resumes back to the last played song of the internal card.

The Ety4s play great on the Studio.  It doesn't have the power issues that the AMP3 had, namely not being able to drive the Ety well enough.  Volume levels seemed to be roughly the same whether using the RE0, Grados or Ety4s. 

Playback on the Ety4s was great for modern music but just OK for classical and better for jazz.  I had hoped to use it primarily for classical playback but will use it instead for modern music.

The Studio is 8gb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back