STUDIO I Evaluation!!!
Jun 20, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #511 of 559
GOOD!  You should have it this week I'm sure, and  I'm excited for you..  I'm absolutely loving mine.  Just watch out for that plastic back plate, because  it comes loose easily.  You're going to love it though.  So much headroom, and such accurate sound.  It's really impressive.  Let us know how you like it!

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #516 of 559
I'm wondering if my Amp3 battery would work with my Studio 5 years or so down the road.  I want a backup battery for my Studio, and I got to thinking that this would be an easy solution since I won't be using my Amp3.  Anyone know if the two batteries are interchangeable?  

Jun 23, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #517 of 559

where is Craig? i miss him :frowning2:

I'll second that motion.

I thought maybe my emails weren't getting through or something but it seems Im not the only one
Who hasn't heard from him in quite a while. Strangely reassuring evidently.

Jun 23, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #518 of 559

Quote:
I'm wondering if my Amp3 battery would work with my Studio 5 years or so down the road.  I want a backup battery for my Studio, and I got to thinking that this would be an easy solution since I won't be using my Amp3.  Anyone know if the two batteries are interchangeable?  

Don't both of them use standard batteries, plenty available from battery shop? Will the players work 5 years from now? I think they will, but one never know.

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #519 of 559
Hey guys, I spoke with Craig earlier. He is doing fine :) He is just amazingly busy with all the Head-Fi changes and such. Hopefully he will be more active on the forums very soon.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #520 of 559
I'm confused.  Is Whiplash Audio recommending and selling the Studio and Studio I players?  The products are not on Whiplash Audio's website.  My previous questions have gone unanswered.  A final review of the finished product was never posted.  Does anyone own, and have you tested, the Studio I player with hi-end EIM's?  At this point I don't see one compelling reason to even consider purchasing the Studio products.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #521 of 559

Quote:
I'm confused.  Is Whiplash Audio recommending and selling the Studio and Studio I players?  The products are not on Whiplash Audio's website.  My previous questions have gone unanswered.  A final review of the finished product was never posted.  Does anyone own, and have you tested, the Studio I player with hi-end EIM's?  At this point I don't see one compelling reason to even consider purchasing the Studio products.

My understanding is that Whiplash is a HiSound reseller of the Studio DAPs.  I'm expecting a Studio 1 to arrive by the end of the week and intend to write up a 3-way comparison between the RWA iMod, Studio 1 and the HM-801 in about a week after that, give or take a few days.

I briefly listened to a preproduction sample of the Studio 1 at Can Jam and was impressed enough to order it.  Wasn't even aware of its existence up until that point.

Concerning the website, Crag is probably delaying adding them to the store until there is sufficient stock available.  Until that happens a PM or email to him would probably be the best way to order one, which is what it sounds like others have done.

Jun 23, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #522 of 559
Thanks warp08 I really appreciate the response.  I have the high-end cans (JHPRO 16's) but am having the hardest time deciding which DAP to buy (upgrade from iPod).  I'm hoping Studio I will fit the bill, but seeing the ugly drilled-out jacks and reading other posts about some potentially cheap parts is causing my hesitation.  I wish a major manufacturer would take the digital audiophile market seriously.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #524 of 559

Quote:
Thanks warp08 I really appreciate the response.  I have the high-end cans (JHPRO 16's) but am having the hardest time deciding which DAP to buy (upgrade from iPod).  I'm hoping Studio I will fit the bill, but seeing the ugly drilled-out jacks and reading other posts about some potentially cheap parts is causing my hesitation.  I wish a major manufacturer would take the digital audiophile market seriously.

There isn't enough volume to justify the R&D required by a major manufacturer to cater to the mobile audiophile market, such as it is.  As the word gets out, this may change over time, but I foresee continued efforts from small, specialized one-man or "mom and pop" outfits to push the boundaries leveraging the cheap labor and component prices from China as well as design skills from American and Asian engineers.

For the masses, the eye candy Apple Nanos and 128/256MB compressed music quality will be perfectly adequate on the go.  Not a whole lot of them sporting JH16s, so the constraints of the DAPs do not become apparent when you use sub-$100 or even cheaper earbuds.

Most true audiophile products typically sport a modest external appearance because most of the development effort and component selection is focused on optimal sound quality vs. shiny buttons or cool LEDs or displays.  There are exceptions, but this is pretty much it.  To me, what matters is the sound.  It's not the only concern, but the #1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back