Studio headphone help from those more Head-Fi sly than I.
Dec 16, 2011 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

scottysound

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I am new here but have long worked in home and larger studios producing music of many varieties. These days I have paired down my studio to a small workstation of which I mostly use to record my own projects ranging from Indie-Rock to Indie-Dance and Underground House/Techno music. I have recently moved into a building that doesn't allow me to use my monitors late into the night which is when I do most of my work. This means I need headphones to work with. I plan to buy two pairs. Both of which I am looking to be quite uncolored and neutral so I can use them to do premixes and accurately evaluate the music so when I have the opportunity to do final mixes on my Adams', I know I won't be too far off.

The first pair I would like to be a durable, closed back pair for $250 or under that I can use both at home in the studio as well as when I'm traveling by plane, train or automobile. These would mostly be used just plugged into my laptop's headphone out jack.

The second pair I am looking for would be a nice open backed pair solely for use at home in the studio. The budget is higher here and I'd like to stay below $750. These would mostly be used plugged into my audio interface (M Audio Firewire Solo). I'm also very open to moving into a headphone amp set up, or upgrading my audio I/O as long as I stay within the budget.

I know this is a tall order, but I've done a ton of research (much of which here on Head-Fi) and am still completely undecided. Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated!

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks MalVeauX!
Those are two options I hadn't even considered. I had looked at the Q701 and DT880, but thought there may be some better options out there. You proved me right and I'll investigate your other suggestions too!

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the input IMAWolf! After some more research, I ordered the GMP 8.35 yesterday and you just made me feel more confident I made the right choice. I already got them here at work today (thank you Amazon expedited shipping) and look forward to putting them through the paces tonight in the studio! 

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks for the input IMAWolf! After some more research, I ordered the GMP 8.35 yesterday and you just made me feel more confident I made the right choice. I already got them here at work today (thank you Amazon expedited shipping) and look forward to putting them through the paces tonight in the studio! 

The 8.35 will need a few hours of burn in, if I remember correctly it will take a minimum of 5 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back