Strongest Headphones WIth Best Warranty
Jan 27, 2011 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Frequen C

Head-Fier
I have bought many pairs of headphones expecting them to be sturdy. I have tried brands known to be "strong" such as skullcandy and beats. My 3 pair of skullcandies all broke, two of which I threw away and one of which I sent in for warranty (SK pro) only to never see again. My beats also just broke with under a week of ownership, and I didn't buy them from an authorized dealer so If they become unwearable those are going in the trash aswell.

I'm looking for a closed headphone that clamps tight on your head, is extremely durable, is closed, and has a warranty similar to koss's lifetime no questions asked warranty. Is this too much to ask?

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 13
I feel like all I do on this site is recommend the B&W P5s. Oh well. Here it goes again. I think they only have a two year warranty, but they also have the replacement cables, earpads, and what have you, available through their site. They're built with very durable materials, crafted beautifully, and clamp tightly to your head without losing any degree of comfort. I've been enjoying them for about a month so far. Happy listening xD

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 13
I think koss has lifetime warranties on their products.  I would look at their product line and choose something sturdy.

However the beats and the skullcandies are known to have subpar build quality, not to mention subpar sound.  Don't think that it takes a huge amount of abuse to break those products; they are just products that seem to break easily.

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 13
The strongest headphones I have ever auditioned have to be the German Mastero's 8.35D. If you stomp on them they will not break according to various reviews. If you thought Skullcandy had any strength you are wrong, they are about the least durable I know of. Three year warranty on a headphone you will never likely break is great as well. A good friend of mine suggest that the Mastero's are the headphones to have when recording in a studio.

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 13
The Shure SRH840's are well made....solid built. 

Not very comfy though. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequen C /img/forum/go_quote.gif.

My 3 pair of skullcandies all broke, two of which I threw away and one of which I sent in for warranty (SK pro) only to never see again. My beats also just broke with under a week of ownership, and I didn't buy them from an authorized dealer so If they become unwearable those are going in the trash aswell.

I believe this comes under the heading 'divine intervention'.

Gotta love Skullcandy's customer service if this is a typical sequence of events. After the incessant moaning on HF about supposed poor build quality on Grado phones, I havent had a single problem. Not one, despite the fact that the phones look and feel 'flimsy' on initial inspection - contrast that with the 'big and tough' headband on the higher end Senns, a headband notorious for cracking - reminds me of the old parable about bamboo bending in the wind while oak trees fall over.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 13
Actually, I think I will get a pair of headphones with a nice protection plan instead of relying on the sturdiness of the headphones. Does anyone know of a good site that offers protection plans that they will honor?

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 13
Yeah, German Maestro unbreakables or the DBI Pro 700.  They are virtually unbreakable.  You'd also be pretty hard pressed to do any serious damage to the Beyerdynamic studio line (DT150, 250 or the bomb-proof DT48)

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 13
You have pretty much described the Koss PRO/4AA or 4AAT series. Great sound, clamps tight and built like a tank. And the famous Koss lifetime warranty is the best in the industry. Oh and closed cans as well as very affordable.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 13
DT48 or Sony MDR-V6 for durability

The best warranties are from Koss and SK, you should pursue your lost SK pro.. The warranty is one of the only positives of the Skullcandy brand.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks everyone, I've already started a new thread for my in-home listening headphones, so we can let this one die
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back