Streaming Audio Devices: review and information thread (Updated 4/23 with JF Digital review)
Dec 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #16 of 142
^Much appreciated for the additional consideration...seems like DNLA certification for a RAID storage device to stream media should be an extra stamp of compatibility.

Nice to know nothing blows the SB Touch out of the water so far.  Will keep an eye on this thread, though! 
wink_face.gif

I certainly hope so and as soon as the new v2 ReadyGear units are available for sale I should be getting one.  I'll report back here on how well it goes...thanks!

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #17 of 142
I like this thread, I've been wanting something like this for a long time. what I don't like are the pricepoints of the gear you have choosen 
tongue_smile.gif

just and idea:
couldn't you just try for example one of those cheap micca players with optical/coaxial output (there must be others out there but this is what comes to my mind first) hooked up to one of those cheap rear view car LCDs? 
since you'll be conecting your DAC and AMP to the optical/coaxial out of the player, scalability would not be a concern.

personaly I don't care much about streaming services because of the quality, I mean this is not ment to be something portable, just a low consumption computer replacement (If i got it right) so using anything lower than your own FLAC files on a USB HDD or NAS feels some how wrong.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #18 of 142

Quote:
I like this thread, I've been wanting something like this for a long time. what I don't like are the pricepoints of the gear you have choosen 
tongue_smile.gif

just and idea:
couldn't you just try for example one of those cheap micca players with optical/coaxial output (there must be others out there but this is what comes to my mind first) hooked up to one of those cheap rear view car LCDs? 
since you'll be conecting your DAC and AMP to the optical/coaxial out of the player, scalability would not be a concern.

personaly I don't care much about streaming services because of the quality, I mean this is not ment to be something portable, just a low consumption computer replacement (If i got it right) so using anything lower than your own FLAC files on a USB HDD or NAS feels some how wrong.

Sorry about the prices! The Grace Digital Tuner is currently $149 for refurbs on their website. But maybe that doesn't quite do what you want..... I thought I good a good range though, from $220 to over $1000 new. 

Your idea about rigging up a player is interesting, but not exactly what I want to focus on. People who are so inclined can probably figure all kinds of creative ways to make something work. But I'm looking more for commercial products that anyone can buy and use. I think there are a lot of folks out there who would like to get something like this going but are under the impression that they have to spend $4k or more for a Linn. I want to show people that there are  more reasonable ways of getting there without going broke in the process.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #20 of 142
I've been lurking here for a couple months. The overwhelming amount of stuff to read, consider, and try to absorb is staggering. Thanks to all you guys who are transmitting your knowledge, wisdom and experience to us lesser beings.

The reason I am posting is to comment on the Grace Tuner. I bought a refurb unit direct from Grace and finally tonight got it up and running. It does exactly what I want it to: streams internet radio thru my (modestly priced) Onkyo A-5VL amp/dac and out to speakers/phones.

I love this thing! My ears are still learning, so my comments here are for the (hate to say it) "coolness" factor of having a hi-fi device which looks great on my shelf, and lets me hear thousands of internet radio stations with decent clarity and fidelity.

I have had it on a couple hours, and not one single hitch or dropout or issue. And it takes a load off my laptop not having to stream music/talk radio/whatever, and transfers that to a standalone device.

So far, so good, and thank you sir for your excellent review of the Grace Tuner. You are the main reason I got it, and I couldn't be happier. Will report back as needed with additional findings.

Jim

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #21 of 142
Add Music Fidelity M1Clic and PS Audio Perfect Wav Dac w/ Bridge to the list - these both have ethernet streaming capabilities.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #22 of 142

Quote:
I've been lurking here for a couple months. The overwhelming amount of stuff to read, consider, and try to absorb is staggering. Thanks to all you guys who are transmitting your knowledge, wisdom and experience to us lesser beings.

The reason I am posting is to comment on the Grace Tuner. I bought a refurb unit direct from Grace and finally tonight got it up and running. It does exactly what I want it to: streams internet radio thru my (modestly priced) Onkyo A-5VL amp/dac and out to speakers/phones.

I love this thing! My ears are still learning, so my comments here are for the (hate to say it) "coolness" factor of having a hi-fi device which looks great on my shelf, and lets me hear thousands of internet radio stations with decent clarity and fidelity.

I have had it on a couple hours, and not one single hitch or dropout or issue. And it takes a load off my laptop not having to stream music/talk radio/whatever, and transfers that to a standalone device.

So far, so good, and thank you sir for your excellent review of the Grace Tuner. You are the main reason I got it, and I couldn't be happier. Will report back as needed with additional findings.

Jim

Thanks Jim - that's exactly the purpose of this thread. Not to necessarily convince people to buy anything, but rather to help them make an informed decision about what works for them.

I'm glad you are enjoying the Grace Tuner. It would be easy to overlook just based on price, but it really is a great performer for what it is. The refurbs for $150 are almost a no brainer. I'd love to hear your continued impressions of it once you have some more time spent.

Quote:
Add Music Fidelity M1Clic and PS Audio Perfect Wav Dac w/ Bridge to the list - these both have ethernet streaming capabilities.

Thanks! I meant to add the Clic, must have forgot. I'll have to look into the PWD with Bridge - I didn't realize it could be used in that fashion. Thanks for the info.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #23 of 142
Very interesting thread Project86 (as usual with you).

I've just found 2 new streaming audio devices made by Pioneer : the N50 and the N30 ($699 and $499).

The N50 is a streaming device and an USB dac (async. 24/192) with coaxial and optical inputs. The N30 is only a streaming device, it doesn't have the USB input, nor the digital inputs. Both have optical and coaxial outputs (24/192). Both have a USB in front for Ipod, Iphone...

Very good looks for both.

More here :

http://www.audiostream.com/content/pioneer-n-50-elite-networked-audio-player

Pioneer's website :

N50   http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Audio-Components/Hi-Fi+Audio/N-50

N30  http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Audio-Components/Hi-Fi+Audio/N-30

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #24 of 142
Very well done and useful thread -- I will be following as it further develops.  Thank you.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #25 of 142
Thanks for doing this
It reminds the time when HeadFi pc was fun.
I still think maybe pc section is not the right place, considering those with audio rack systems are in the other sections.
I would suggest shorter reviews if possible.

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #26 of 142

Quote:
Very interesting thread Project86 (as usual with you).

I've just found 2 new streaming audio devices made by Pioneer : the N50 and the N30 ($699 and $499).

The N50 is a streaming device and an USB dac (async. 24/192) with coaxial and optical inputs. The N30 is only a streaming device, it doesn't have the USB input, nor the digital inputs. Both have optical and coaxial outputs (24/192). Both have a USB in front for Ipod, Iphone...

Very good looks for both.

More here :

http://www.audiostream.com/content/pioneer-n-50-elite-networked-audio-player

Pioneer's website :

N50   http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Audio-Components/Hi-Fi+Audio/N-50

N30  http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Audio-Components/Hi-Fi+Audio/N-30

Will add those, thanks! 

Quote:
Thanks for doing this
It reminds the time when HeadFi pc was fun.
I still think maybe pc section is not the right place, considering those with audio rack systems are in the other sections.
I would suggest shorter reviews if possible.

I struggled to figure out which section this belonged in. It could really fit in several spots, so I just chose this one. Maybe that was wrong.

Shorter reviews are my resolution for the new year. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #27 of 142
Hi-great thread. I have a Squeezebox Touch, which was working fine with my upstairs PC and my iMac, allowing me to listen to the computers on my living room stereo. I have been collecting FLAC files, and found my hard drives filling, so I bought a Seagate Goflex 2 TB external hard drive, thinking I would move all the music files to it, and be able to use the Squeezebox to listen in the living room (Krell preamp/amp, Thiel speakers, somewhat dated, pre-kids, still nice sounding). I also stream to my Android Phone via Tonido-slow, especially between tracks but usable. At any rate, this seems not to work; at least, I can't get it to work. The Squeezebox can't "see" the Seagate. I called Logitech, and was told "the device is not supported". External hard drives connected via USB do work, but this connects to the router (I later found out it uses the Pogoplug system for streaming/NAS). I'm not terribly adept at computer management, and was hoping someone had a (not too complex) way to get this to work. Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and add more external hard drives via USB, but I'm hoping what I already have will suffice. I appreciate any help from Head-Fi community. 
Thanks-Jack

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #28 of 142

Quote:
Hi-great thread. I have a Squeezebox Touch, which was working fine with my upstairs PC and my iMac, allowing me to listen to the computers on my living room stereo. I have been collecting FLAC files, and found my hard drives filling, so I bought a Seagate Goflex 2 TB external hard drive, thinking I would move all the music files to it, and be able to use the Squeezebox to listen in the living room (Krell preamp/amp, Thiel speakers, somewhat dated, pre-kids, still nice sounding). I also stream to my Android Phone via Tonido-slow, especially between tracks but usable. At any rate, this seems not to work; at least, I can't get it to work. The Squeezebox can't "see" the Seagate. I called Logitech, and was told "the device is not supported". External hard drives connected via USB do work, but this connects to the router (I later found out it uses the Pogoplug system for streaming/NAS). I'm not terribly adept at computer management, and was hoping someone had a (not too complex) way to get this to work. Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and add more external hard drives via USB, but I'm hoping what I already have will suffice. I appreciate any help from Head-Fi community. 
Thanks-Jack

Hi Jack,

Good question - this is one of the reasons I started this thread, in order to discuss issues like yours. I had hoped more people would be involved in the discussion, but maybe it will pick up later.

It's a complex situation due to all the variables involved. But this is what I suspect (correct me if I'm wrong): You have the Seagate drive added to the network via your router, and are using Pogoplug to manage it. This will allow it to work with UPnP/DLNA streaming devices like the NAD C 446, Grace Tuner, and many others. The Squeezebox Touch, unfortunately, does not use the same protocol, but rather has its own software (SqueezeServer, now renamed to Logitech Media Server). 

Solutions?

Well, since you already must have some form of SqueezeServer running (since you mentioned using the living room stereo to stream from the computer), it might just be a matter of configuration. Ignoring audio streaming for the moment, does the Seagate drive show up on your network as a drive? And you can read and write files to it? If so, you might be able to configure SqueezeServer to "scan" that drive for files, which would then be accessible through your Touch. 

If it doesn't show up with its own drive letter, or if SqueezeServer can't "see" it, then your other option is to use a direct USB connection to the Touch itself. I've seen some of the GoFlex drives with a USB port, so maybe yours does have one. The downsides to this direct connection - the Touch is not as quick when managing files directly from a larger drive. It is acting as the server, rather than your computer being the server, and it just isn't as good. Also, you would have to manually connect the drive to your PC to transfer files whenever you get new music.

Hope this helps - try some things out and let us know how it works.

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #29 of 142
Thanks for the quick reply-I'm surprised it isn't a busier thread-I'm sure many Head-Fi folks are playing around with streaming...maybe everyone is happy with their setups and have no questions/issues (though, looking around Head-Fi, folks generally have as much to say (if not more) about things they love or have found). Anyway, the Seagate GoFlex COMES with PogoPlug (it has a base, which has pogoplug built in)...that is how it works. I think I might have been slower to buy if I realized that (though I had been considering Tonidoplug, a similar device, that I had read was better at streaming). Anyway, if I get the questions, both my PC and iMac see the GoFlex as an X drive, and I can drag music to it from either. The Touch, though, doesn't see the X drive at all, which I don't get (I'd think it would show like the connected external hard drive, which is connected to my PC, and shows as a drive there and on the touch.). Anyway, connecting the GoFlex to the Touch is a possibility, though, as you say, it removes any network connectivity, and I'd have to plug it back into the router to get more music onto it. You say it would be slow...would it work to connect it to a PC and that into the Squeezebox? (of course, my wife, who already feels like a martyr having to live with my living room setup, would be even less happy with an old PC there...I do need to upgrade the Dell I'm using, though...). (I'm not sure if the software on the GoFlex allows it to be used in this way, or if it is configured for router connection If it can be connected to the PC or iMac, I could do that, and the Touch should see it, though I'd still have to disconnect/reconnect to load. The Seagate site is not help on this, though I get the feeling it doesn't hook directly to a computer like a standard external drive). If I replaced the Dell, it would be free to use in that way...would still have to unhook to load music. Not impossible, but a goal of this streaming stuff is generally to have as much music available, in as many places and in as good-sounding files as can be had, with as little fuss as possible, if I have this right (at least, that is what I'd like).

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #30 of 142
One question-how do I "configure" the Touch to see the Seagate X drive? That is essentially my basic question. The answer from Logitech is that I can't.
Thanks again, Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back