Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #440 of 1,163
This is my first foray into good headphones. My research has told me that Stax have the sound that I believe I am looking for.
Being that I've never owned a good set of over ear headphones, never heard any Stax earspeakers on any amp/converter, would one assume that I would be quite happy with the L300's powered by the 252A? Rather than worrying about other options or more powerful amps? I've potentially found a good deal on a 252A. Ignorance is bliss right?

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #441 of 1,163
Being that I've never owned a good set of over ear headphones, never heard any Stax earspeakers on any amp/converter, would one assume that I would be quite happy with the L300's powered by the 252A?

Being that I've owned/heard a good chunk of the high-end headphones out there (including many that cost four figures) and prefer the SR-L300, I'd say you're in for a good time. :alien:

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #445 of 1,163
After several weeks of searching, I've finally got a 252S and some L300's coming later this week! I'm very excited to say the least!
Just for fun, can you guys give me a good song list to initiate them with and to see what they can do?
Recommendations for the first song?
Thanks!

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #447 of 1,163
Hi, I would like to know the opinion of all of you that have been able to compare the L300 with the Sens HD800.
I listen mainly classical and female jazz. Which would you choose for it? Which are the differences between them?

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #448 of 1,163
Hi, I would like to know the opinion of all of you that have been able to compare the L300 with the Sens HD800.
I listen mainly classical and female jazz. Which would you choose for it? Which are the differences between them?
In terms of detail and transparency L300 wins but Sennheiser HD800 is no slouch. It might have equal amount of details which are sometimes hard to comprehend due to the expansive diffused soundstage and you're listening in a non ideal noisy place.

I own Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO and comparatively I didn't like L300 at all. Bass depth is absent, treble extension is also not satisfactory. And as usual soundstage is way too intimate but it is airy.

I absolutely loved the L700 though. It has the best bass depth and presence I have heard in any headphone.

Consider this too that L300 is a cheap headphone. In the SRS-3100 kit you pay for amp + headphone. But if you consider headphone price itself it's pretty cheap and then it sounds really worth the price. L500 and L700 are more in the premium category than L300 (obviously).

At the price of the SRS-3100 kit you could get better results with a good dac/amp + dynamic/planar headphone.

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #450 of 1,163

I owned both and like the SR-L300 (or heck, any STAX) far more than the HD 800. It's more transparent, neutral, fast, clean, etc.

Even with extensive EQ, the HD 800 just came off as overly tight, dry, and mechanical to me most of the time. In a figurative sense, it made wood sound like ceramic. Without EQ it was painfully bright and tinny at times. (Measurements support this.)

If you more or less only listen to those two genres, you won't notice the HD 800's weaknesses as much. (I listen to just about every type of music.)

For reference: I drove my own HD 800 from the Chord Mojo and someone else's HD 800 from the Simaudio MOON Neo 430HAD. (Also more briefly from the Sennheiser HDVD 800.) It sounded almost the same from the Mojo despite being more than eight times more affordable. And I drove the SR-L300 from the SRM-252S.

At the price of the SRS-3100 kit you could get better results with a good dac/amp + dynamic/planar headphone.

I haven't been able to get sound even remotely as good as entry-level STAX with countless non-electrostatic headphone systems. (Even ones approaching five figures.)

Tonal balance is kind of a moot point when EQ exists. But overall, STAX is already more neutral than just about anything else, so it's less difficult to equalize them properly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back