Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #466 of 1,163
Hi, I would like to know the opinion of all of you that have been able to compare the L300 with the Sens HD800.
I listen mainly classical and female jazz. Which would you choose for it? Which are the differences between them?
i do not own hd800.
but i am very confident in stax, that they will handle competition without troubles. :)

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #467 of 1,163
Sennheiser HD800 would be my choice. It has more body to the mids and soundstage is just great and improves your experience especially for classical, acoustic, orchestra, vocals, etc.

Between the two, I would always pickup HD800.

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #470 of 1,163
Totally different experience than any traditional headphone I have used or have. I hear everything. All at once. Very, very similar to having a loudspeaker setup and not headphones. At first it was distracting but I am sure I will adapt to it.

I am by no means going to throw away my other setups but come to the side of Stax was well worth it.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #472 of 1,163
Limited version of L300 - SR-L300Limited: costs same as L500 , but has L700 driver (which shares technology from 009). Only 800 pieces will be made.

6ba18cbeebe7747cd2347976bc2d3706.jpg

https://stax.theshop.jp/items/9564837

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #479 of 1,163
Jan 16, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #480 of 1,163
I was going through this thread for a good week or so. Finally my Stax 3100 system is here and I'm happy to share my initial impressions on this system. This is actually an upgrade of my HD600 which I was very happy about. I had a chance to give Audeze LCD-X a try for a few days also.

I must say that I had quite high expectation after reading reviews (no, I didn't audition L300 before). What I'm extremely happy about is their weight. After spending all day with LCD-X (675grams) my neck was in pain for few days. Stax are almost the same weight as HD600 which I like.

L300 are very airy and detailed. Love this part. This was my first impression on sound. Also seemd little bright at first but probably because of huge amount of details and air. Sound stage bit smaller than LCD-X but more precise and tidy. Luckily bass is not as overwhelming, it's just about right on most tracks, just sometimes doesn't go as deep as I like (I'd blame pads as I'm not getting right seal). Mids are my problem just a bit. I have a feeling that Audeze offered a bit more refined and structured mids. More rich. (I may be wrong, this may be also due to Audeze's warmness. I need some more time to come to final conclusion). But this was something I valued LCD-X the most and it's missing here a tiny bit.

Build, is... hmm. Just ok. Nice, soft cable, quite poor headband plastic, bit better earspeaker plastic, very thin pads. My ear is touching the inside plastic (but surprisingly it's not as iritating as for other cans. I can handle 4-5 hours).

I've seen many threads and videos about replacing pads from L500 but I'm not a huge fan of leather (natural or synthetic), I would rather get some velvet so I will try to DIY own pads. Plastic is ready, memory foam and few pieces of nice soft velvet I could get for 10 euros + basic sewing skills. If that doesn't work I will get L500 pads...

This is just my impression. I'm not experienced but happy to own Stax system. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back