STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
May 14, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #856 of 1,367
Alright who here has heard or preferably owned both the holo audio level 3 and the terminator? Which is better and why? Which is more musical sounding? Soundstage, bass etc.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to those two.

Thanks for the help

May 14, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #857 of 1,367
Alright who here has heard or preferably owned both the holo audio level 3 and the terminator? Which is better and why? Which is more musical sounding? Soundstage, bass etc.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to those two.

Thanks for the help
Don't forget to add the Audio-gd R7 and Totaldac D1core into the mix

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #859 of 1,367
I would purchase through music direct and get the PS Audio Directstream if you're willing to spend Terminator money. Totaldac is also a good choice. My favorite is dCS, but all of these are great and have updates that keep it up to date with new features and sound upgrades. These dacs are built to be updated for many years

May 16, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #860 of 1,367
If I could I would like to ask the members of this thread if you could choose between the Holo Audio Lvl 3 or the Denafrips Terminator which do you go for. The Terminator is obviously more money, but is the terminator that much better then the Holo to justify the extra cash. Which would you choose to pair with a Carbon?

The Terminator is pretty much at the top of what I would spend on a Dac which is really the only reason I wouldnt consider springing for the Directstream even though I would like that one.

May 16, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #861 of 1,367
I've decided now on the Terminator after a good deal of research. Only problem... I have no bloody idea where to order it. Its only available right now through Vineshineaudio.com and the U.S. is the only country that they have a hard time shipping to apparently. I have emailed them and am just awaiting a response.

I think the size and weight of the Denafrips will fit nicely with my enormous Carbon amp haha.

May 17, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #863 of 1,367
Thanks I was leaning toward the Holo simply for budgetary purposes, but I kept reading reviews. I read a lot about the Metrum Pavane, the Holo, the Yggy, PS Audio, Chord, and the Denafrips Terminator. It seemed like everyone who reviewed it said it was just as good if not better then dacs twice its cost and more. It seemed also that it basically was the only dac of the ones reviewed that essentially ticked every box. some were bass shy but overall sounded good or had small soundstage with great imaging etc. The Terminator just ticked all those boxes and was considered incredible in all of those areas.

Plus its massive and heavy just like my Carbon so I imagine they will get along splendidly haha.

Now to purchase my 009S.

May 18, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #865 of 1,367
Haha yeah I am pretty damn happy right now. Cant wait for the Terminator to come in and to get my hands on the 009S and 007.

May 23, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #867 of 1,367
Annnnd the 009S order has been placed. Now its just my least favorite part... the bloody wait.

May 23, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #869 of 1,367
Yeah it definitely is not fun. My terminator is 3 - 4 weeks out, and could be the same for the 009S. But at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Almost time to sit back and just enjoy the sound without wondering whats next.

May 23, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #870 of 1,367
As mentioned on the other thread - the 009S is a bit richer and more natural sounding than 009 on the Carbon. As if you injected a really good tube midrange into the pairing - which reveals the 009 / Carbon mids as slightly too dry by comparison. That's why it doesn't pull ahead by too much on the BHSE, and actually falls behind the 009 on a DIY T2. Not *everyone* will prefer 009S / Carbon over 009. But most will.

The 009 and Carbon setup was indeed the result of following good advice. This kind of debate is simply the minutiae you encounter on the very highest levels of headphone sound quality.

Being the happy owner of both the SR009 and SR009S --connected to a BHSE with Philips Miniwatt NOS tubes, see my profile--, I spend a lot of time trying to compare them. The following différences, expressed as "What's better in each", have appeared so far:

--For the 009S: richer, more exact tones; more micro details
--For the 009: lower bass level, but bass sounds seem more accurate, well defined, "square"; higher sonic dynamics, especially with percussions (drums, piano…)

Of course, the whole thing depends on the kind of music played and the listener's hearing habits. For instance, the better dynamics of the 009 is certainly due to a higher treble level, to which one quickly get used; fixing this defect can be felt, for a moment, as a lack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back