1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by padam, Apr 20, 2018.
Tags:
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Next

Last
  1. padam
    [​IMG]

US retail price: 4600$ (estimated)
    Expected availability: July 2018

This top model of open-ended electrostatic headphones is a challenge for the most demanding audiophiles, requiring uncompromising sound reproduction quality across the 5 Hz to 42 kHz frequency band. Thanks to the new generation of thinned Electrode Membranes (MLER2), the new geometry of air reduction holes and its gilded surface, which with its high specific gravity even further suppresses unwanted vibrations, brings the headphones perfectly balanced reproduction even in the area of the deepest frequencies. All-metal aluminum earcups basically eliminate undesirable resonances. The headphones are designed exclusively for connection to any STAX desktop power amplifier.

[​IMG]

Sound element with new fixed electrodes
    If the fixed electrode becomes much thinner, the air resistance will be decreased and the permeability of sound waves will be improved. On the other hand, thinner electrodes are poor in rigidity and suffer from vibrations of their own and the sound becomes muddy.The SR-009S evolved further the electrode established in the SR-009 as the integration of present technology.
    The edges of electrode hole were smoothened through after-etching processing to reduce air resistance, and the permeability of sound has been improved even more. Moreover, gold plating processing with large specific gravity further decreased the electrode vibration. Finally, the sound clarity has been achieved by reducing the resistance of the electrode itself.
    Tough solid aluminum chassis
    It has been attached more firmly to the sound element, contributing to improve the clearness of sound. Furthermore, case thickness has been reduced to the limit, for a smoother flow of condensation-and-rarefaction airwaves from the transducer.
    Newly designed metal guard mesh
    Intensity has been increased by giving roundness to the “guard mesh” of the sound element, which lowered the influence of reflection and improved the resolution.
    Updated earpads
    Thinner, more acoustically transparent protective fabric has been adopted in the new earpads.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Official product page (with specifications)

First short listening impression with factory visit in Japanese (translation available)
    Oneguy's short listening impression
    HugoFreire's short listening impression
    Arnaud's short listening impression

Head-fi TV video

In short, a warmer, smoother, fuller, but even slightly more detailed headphone compared its SR-009 sibling, which will remain in production alongside this new SR-009S variant.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  2. baiyy1986
    Another S version, when will they launch the E and X?

Boerd and Hifi Boy like this.
  3. draytonklammer
    Curious if this is actually a thing. Haven't heard anything personally.

4. padam
  5. oneguy
    Now this is exciting!

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  6. HoloSpice
    Ohhhh totally getting this!

7. Ali-Pacha
    Stators' colour is disturbing somehow when you got used to original seamless looking between stators and cups.

Ali

HoloSpice likes this.
  8. arnaud Contributor
    I expected a release at the headphone festival next week, this looks more like a photoshop based fake news :p

HoloSpice likes this.
  9. Ali-Pacha
    There's nothing on Fujiya Avic blog for now...let's wait :D

Ali

10. Whitigir
    Holy! If this is real, I am in! My T2 can’t wait no longer !

The electrodes now is gold plated similar to SR-007 ? Also the variation os “S” and similar price point is awesome and probably stands for different sound signature. At least , Stax is not pulling “because it sound good”

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    ToroFiestaSol and HoloSpice like this.
  11. padam
    Additional images:
    TR18OR-STAX-009s-HOUSING.jpg TR18OR-STAX-009s-IMAGE.jpg TR18OR-STAX-009s-MLER2.jpg

I g o r, Pokemonn, jgazal and 4 others like this.
  12. HoloSpice
    Omg you're not joking

13. Whitigir
    I am Hyped....hyper breathing !! Beautiful SR009 build with gold electrodes

I need to go rob my piggy bank and call up my dealer....LOL!

alan967tiger, oneguy and HoloSpice like this.
  14. padam
    Sound element with new fixed electrodes

If the fixed electrode becomes infinitely thinner, the air resistance will be decreased and the permeability of sound waves will be improved. On the other hand, thinner electrodes are poor in rigidity and suffer from vibrations of their own and the sound becomes muddy. The SR-009S evolved further the electrode established in the SR-009 as the integration of present technology. The edges of electrode hole were smoothened through after-etching processing to reduce air resistance, and the permeability of sound has been much more improved. Moreover, gold plating processing with large specific gravity further decreased the electrode vibration. Finally, the sound clarity has been achieved by reducing the resistance of electrode itself.

Chassis

Tough solid aluminum chassis employed secures firmly the sound element, contributing to improve the clearness of sound. Furthermore, the case thickness has been reduced to the limit, making the flow of condensation- and-rarefaction air wave from the sound element more smooth.

Resolution

Intensity has been increased by giving roundness to the “guard mesh” of sound element, which lowered the influence of reflection and improved the resolution of sound.

I g o r, simomat, Pokemonn and 2 others like this.
  15. ToroFiestaSol
    Looks like the ruthless overlord of the headphone universe, just incredible lmao
    I hope the voicing is warmer than the original, I'll be following this thread :)

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Next

Last