STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Apr 28, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #121 of 1,367
Btw, the pads look different than the ones in the SR-009, I don't think the difference is because of the hours of use, it just looks like a different leather.
Really ? Wut leather ? Lol...how could u tell from the pictures? And did anyone even care about Burn in before impression ?
Just kidding

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #122 of 1,367
Btw, the pads look different than the ones in the SR-009, I don't think the difference is because of the hours of use, it just looks like a different leather.
There isn’t a difference in leather. Feels the same. The underlying foam OTOH feels stiffer on the 009S than the 009. Whether it’s wear ‘n tear or sourced from different maker, that’s unknown to the public.

Apr 28, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #124 of 1,367
Got in the preorder queue. Why delay the inevitable?
Make me proud bro make me proud! And the added benefit of being your friend. Take one for the team!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #125 of 1,367
The staxaudio.com site (Woo Audio) lists the SR-009 earpads as in stock, but discontinued, other sites have no SR-009 earpads listed at all (for now).
With the original SR-009 it says leather, with the SR-009S it says leather (direct skin contact), high-quality synthetic leather (surrounding portion)
So yes, there may have been an earlier earpad revision, and it is possible that the newer box SR-009 headphones have slightly different earpads already.

Apr 29, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #126 of 1,367
I have my 009 for a year or so. I do think it is newer version ? It does seem to have Pleather surrounding on the pads and only genuine leather on the contacts , or the faces of the pads. But why would they change the pads ?

Anyways, did someone mention about no stax fart ? Did you wear glasses ? It does not fart when I wear my glasses, but it will when I dont. Or did Stax found out that the Port mod are working and improved upon it ?

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #127 of 1,367
The inner protective mesh is different on the 009S than the 009. The slightly more diffise character I hear in the 009 may be due to that. Even Shimizu-san (sales) didn’t know till I pointed it out to him.

I’ve used up all my data packets & cant upload photos. I’ll upload when I get access to WiFi.

Edit:
SR-009S
22F960F6-9994-4CF6-8FE6-2333A6D7ACF2.jpeg

SR-009
C59FF305-4C63-4B9B-9386-ED875FC88D84.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #128 of 1,367
Possible that it was an earlier version demo unit.
Because the old ones were discontinued, in the end it is going to be one common earpad for the two headphones.
But first they need to stack up production on the headphones themselves, not on earpads. So it will take a fair amount of time, until they are available to purchase separately, maybe half a year or so.

Maybe they have cured the mid 'hardness' around 1-2khz, but that also means it is not as diffuse-field equalized as before, so slightly less out of the head.

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #129 of 1,367
axelcloris: STAX sent us one of the only SR-009S headphones in existence, and since we’re only going to have it at the office for a short time we’ve been trying to get as much listening time as possible. We’ll be posting a head-fi TV video soon

I doubt they can add that much more now, though :wink:

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #130 of 1,367
Possible that it was an earlier version demo unit.
Because the old ones were discontinued, in the end it is going to be one common earpad for the two headphones.
But first they need to stack up production on the headphones themselves, not on earpads. So it will take a fair amount of time, until they are available to purchase separately, maybe half a year or so.

Maybe they have cured the mid 'hardness' around 1-2khz, but that also means it is not as diffuse-field equalized as before, so slightly less out of the head.

Sorry that’s in reference to my comment on the the inner ear pad mesh?

All their SR-009 units used the same type of mesh. And last year I went to their (Stax) office to have my earpads changed and they gave me the expected 009 (thicker/coarser) mesh.

Apr 29, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #131 of 1,367
As I wrote, maybe the new version it is not available yet as a separate part (they only have the old version as a service part for now), but is listed as being discontinued.
So it would be logical to replace that with the new, common one after they've made enough headphones. That's how they did with the SR-007 (even though there were changes in the color scheme), although some stock is still available from the different versions.
But of course only later seeing a brand new SR-009 + an official statement can clear things up on that.

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #133 of 1,367
As I wrote, maybe the new version it is not available yet as a separate part (they only have the old version as a service part for now), but is listed as being discontinued.
So it would be logical to replace that with the new, common one after they've made enough headphones. That's how they did with the SR-007 (even though there were changes in the color scheme), although some stock is still available from the different versions.
But of course only later seeing a brand new SR-009 + an official statement can clear things up on that.
Whilst it may be logical (and I agree with you), it's still speculative. I've reached out to Stax and their response is as of now they have no plans to update the SR-009 the inner dust cover mesh to the SR-009S. I gather they probably have a large number of stock of the original which may last a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back