STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Mar 2, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #768 of 1,367
Why oh why are there so many SR-009 for sale at low prices at the moment ? I'm hesitating between a sr-009/009s and voce and I wonder...
Well maybe because of the 009S/VOCE? If anyone prefers the 009 to the (S) better get them while you still can because the Stax rep at CJ NYC told me they were gong to discontinue the 009 soon.

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #771 of 1,367
Thanks for the replies ! If I understand well what I read, the 009S is sounding between the Voce and 009 ? More relaxed ? I have never heard a 009 sadly, I had a 007 early Mk1 and liked it very much but wanted more bass and needed a closed can back then so I sold it. Now I can get an open back again, bought a Diana but didn't like the signature. Now hesitating between Susvara, Voce or 009/009S...

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #772 of 1,367
Thanks for the replies ! If I understand well what I read, the 009S is sounding between the Voce and 009 ? More relaxed ? I have never heard a 009 sadly, I had a 007 early Mk1 and liked it very much but wanted more bass and needed a closed can back then so I sold it. Now I can get an open back again, bought a Diana but didn't like the signature. Now hesitating between Susvara, Voce or 009/009S...

If you are looking for more bass among the choices, VOCE will be the one, which shares more similarity with 007 MK1. You can PM me for more impressions.

Mar 2, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #773 of 1,367

Go to head-case, Spritzer and Kevin Gilmore have shared their impressions of Voce there.

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #777 of 1,367
007 without the black debris/dust cover. It sounds 10-15% more transparent. Worth it to me. Have to be careful if you wear big earrings.

It would be interesting to see what happens to the SQ if people remove the dust covers on their S009/S009s.
It is not that dangerous, the transducer/diaphragm is pretty puncture proof.
They did tests once on Martin Logan electrostatic speakers, puncturing the foil with hundreds of holes and it did not degrade the SQ.

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #779 of 1,367
What about the dust and the arcing ? It may feel good for the ears massages

When I still had my Martin Logans (ok, it didn't punch holes into the transducers though) I used to vacuum them (the trancducer foil) to get rid of dust particles and indeed, it improved the sound quality.
On a side note:
Whosoever owned electrostatic speakers knows, what a simple design electrostatic speakers are.
Basically it's two metal plates called the stators and sandwiched in between is a coated foil, called the transducer.
3 parts, that's about it. And electrostatic HP are not any different from e-stat speakers.
So to ask up to $6000 and more for such a headphone is insane. I am sure the parts will not cost more than $100.
Why do you think the Kaldas guy from Bombay is able to offer electrostatic headphones for $500?
And I wouldn't be amazed if the SQ of the Kaldas comes close to the Stax 009s. It's basically the same design.

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #780 of 1,367
When I still had my Martin Logans (ok, it didn't punch holes into the transducers though) I used to vacuum them (the trancducer foil) to get rid of dust particles and indeed, it improved the sound quality.
On a side note:
Whosoever owned electrostatic speakers knows, what a simple design electrostatic speakers are.
Basically it's two metal plates called the stators and sandwiched in between is a coated foil, called the transducer.
3 parts, that's about it. And electrostatic HP are not any different from e-stat speakers.
So to ask up to $6000 and more for such a headphone is insane. I am sure the parts will not cost more than $100.
Why do you think the Kaldas guy from Bombay is able to offer electrostatic headphones for $500?
And I wouldn't be amazed if the SQ of the Kaldas comes close to the Stax 009s. It's basically the same design.

Cool, I will be waiting for you to excercise those practices as in buying a SR-009, remove the protectors, puncture holes, and vacuum cleaning it. I can’t wait to hear impressions and your experiences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back