1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by padam, Apr 20, 2018.
Tags:
First

Back
43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63
Next

Last
  1. Tekunda
    Look, if you had read my post, you would have seen that I never suggested to puncture holes into the transducer.
    I just used Martin Logan's stress test to show that this foil is not as fragile as people might think it is.
    And indeed, I am saving for an e-stat HP, just waiting for Kaldas Research to start selling their $500 headphones to compare the SQ with the Stax.
    But you can bet, if feasible, I will take off the dust covers to check if the SQ will improve.

2. Scgorg
    Martin Logan speakers/electrostatic speakers in general use way thicker membranes than what stax do. I believe stax uses 1,35 micron while ML is in the range of 12 micron thickness. It's not weird that martin logan speakers can take way more abuse when the membrane is so much stronger. Last time I checked Martin Logan doesn't need/use dust covers. The greater spacing for ML drivers also means that arcing is much less of a problem, especially from something as small as dust. The black "debris" cover found on the headphones ear pads are not the true dust covers in stax either. They use a super thin membrane, similar to the driver itself which is completely acoustically transparent both in the front volume and back volume.

On another note, if you look at the ridicolous design of the 009 stators and how it's made I'm sure you will understand that it doesn't cost 100$ in parts. Hell, even the earcups themselves are machined aluminum, good luck getting those for 100$. I'm not trying to justify the cost, or even say that the design matters, but there is a reason why the L300 sells for 400$ and the 009 doesn't.

3. Tekunda
    They take a block of aluminium and a CNC milling machine will cut the earcups out of the block of aluminium.
    I just don't get the pricing. In today's economy, not very many people have $6000 for a pair of headphones.
    If a company were smart they would produce a $2500 TOTL super nice designed maxxed out electrostatic headphone, and audiophiles around the world would stand in line to buy one. This company would make its money through much higher sales.
    Why do you think people like the Focal Clear or Stellia so much. They are below the magic $3000 mark and look great. I would like to see the sales numbers of the 0900s, they can't be very high.

HoloSpice likes this.
  4. Scgorg
    As I said, I absolutely do not defend the pricing, if I ever were to buy a 009 it would be used. And as it stands 007 is much more intriguing, although still quite expensive. I think we agree on the philosphy of headphone pricing.

5. Tekunda
    And for a layman, all this fancy stuff like super thin diaphragms, coated with gold, all that sounds very expensive.
    But let us not forget that e-Stat speakers were invented around 1930 so it's basic technology and you can take one gram of gold worth around $35 and use a press to make gold foil, which will cover 1 square meter. So spraying a piece of plastic foil with a bit of gold dust will cost just a few pennies.

6. Whitigir
    You should start making your own E-stats headphones, and when it sound as good as Sr-009 with the price point you are insisting now, I will be sure to buy one, and that is a promise

7. Tekunda
    Now that you mention it, I have thought of it indeed. I have a friend in the Bavarian Forest near Regensburg, who developed all by himself and sells a line of super hightech electrostatic speakers. He will be at the audioshow in Munich this year.
    I plan to share my thoughts on developing a line of super high-tech, first class build quality, beautifully designed and really comfortable e-Stat headphones. And all of that for a maximum price around $2500.
    If he says that it is possible and he is the guy to know, and if he is interested, we might give it a chance.

HoloSpice and Whitigir like this.
  8. Whitigir
    Sound good, the Voce was originally planning to be lower pricing too, but turned out much higher than everybody thought =/, very sad, keep us updated

HoloSpice likes this.
  9. chinsettawong
    Hi Tekunda,

You need to look inside the Stax driver to really understand why it's super critical to have the dust covers there. On all the Omega series headphones, the stators are not insulated. If there is any dust in there, it will surely cause a problem. For Martin Logan ESL, the stators are very well insulated and there is no need for the dust covers,

Since you mention about making electrostatic headphones, you can visit my thread here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-diy-electrostatic-headphones.498292/. I've been making my own DIY electrostatic headphones for years. And yes, they sound wonderful.

Wachara C.

10. Tekunda
    You have done a superb job with your DIY hp, I must say!

11. mercman
    I just noticed that Headamp has dropped the price of the SR-009S to $3799 from $4325.

12. Scgorg
    That is for an open-box pair, new price is still $4325.

13. mercman
    Thanks for correcting me! I missed the "open-box"!

14. lithiumnk
    Hello everyone
    Before entering the world of estats, I have some doubts...

1. Which is the best amp pairing with 009s and 009 in terms of dynamics, resolution , treble response and bass slam ?
    2. Does bhse with 009s sound laidback as compared to 009?
    3. Has anyone paired 009/009s with a NOS R2R DAC ? Any impressions
    4. Is 009 still the king for classical genre and busy tracks?
    5. How is 009s's low end as compared to abyss phi cc/tc ?
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    HoloSpice likes this.
  15. HoloSpice
    How big is your wallet?

Lord Rexter and Whitigir like this.
First

Back
43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63
Next

Last