STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Jul 26, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #526 of 1,367
But tech flex was cool 5 years ago....

Jul 26, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #527 of 1,367
In fairness to hifiman spritzer did say that that jr is a nice sounding headphone. Just that it did nothing new and the price is not justified with the build issues.

It looks like the build of the 009S isn't perfect either, but the issues are smaller.

I don't think it is unfair to point out that the build quality of the Shangri-La Jr. does not compare with the build quality of the Focal Utopia or Stax SR-009, which share a similar list price, nor of the MrSpeakers VOCE or SR-007, which are significantly less expensive. I mean, "The back is a separate plate and how it fits with the rest of a the housing is a bit of a joke. No gap on the bottom...1mm at the top." I've seen plastic toys that fit together better. And, "I need more time with them but over all, not bad." is hardly a ringing endorsement of their sound. For that kind of money I would expect top tier build quality and sound, but then I'm weird that way.

Jul 26, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #528 of 1,367
The greatest Headphone cable is my He Audio jades. Hands down. It has 5 kinks, twist, 3 wires molded in certain spots into 1 stiff section. Its a beauty. Maybe this is why my pair sounds better than the He90 :) :)

20180322_121529.jpg

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #529 of 1,367
I don't think it is unfair to point out that the build quality of the Shangri-La Jr. does not compare with the build quality of the Focal Utopia or Stax SR-009, which share a similar list price, nor of the MrSpeakers VOCE or SR-007, which are significantly less expensive. I mean, "The back is a separate plate and how it fits with the rest of a the housing is a bit of a joke. No gap on the bottom...1mm at the top." I've seen plastic toys that fit together better. And, "I need more time with them but over all, not bad." is hardly a ringing endorsement of their sound. For that kind of money I would expect top tier build quality and sound, but then I'm weird that way.

I cant and wont defend the build issues. They are well, hifiman, so par for course. Same goes for the stupidly expensive price.

However go back and look at what Spritzer wrote 2 paragraphs up "Over all I quite like the sound". That is the best endorsement I have seen him give a new headphone in some time lol. The thing he complained about most was the smell!

We need a scale to translate what he thinks! For reference his 009S comments aren't much more positive.. especially considering the work he has already done to try and improve them.

"As for the 009S's, they are growing on me with the older 009 earpads plus I did some small tweaks to improve the sealing. They are still bass deficient but at least the top end doesn't make me want to cut off my ears... It's nice open top end and with the older pads they have a bit more focus which the stock setup really lacks."

I am all for piling on hifiman where they deserve it - build and price - but the sonic impressions of the Jr have been mostly positive. Even from someone who is absolutely ready to trash them without reservation if they deserve it.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #530 of 1,367
I cant and wont defend the build issues. They are well, hifiman, so par for course. Same goes for the stupidly expensive price.

However go back and look at what Spritzer wrote 2 paragraphs up "Over all I quite like the sound". That is the best endorsement I have seen him give a new headphone in some time lol. The thing he complained about most was the smell!

We need a scale to translate what he thinks! For reference his 009S comments aren't much more positive.. especially considering the work he has already done to try and improve them.

"As for the 009S's, they are growing on me with the older 009 earpads plus I did some small tweaks to improve the sealing. They are still bass deficient but at least the top end doesn't make me want to cut off my ears... It's nice open top end and with the older pads they have a bit more focus which the stock setup really lacks."

I am all for piling on hifiman where they deserve it - build and price - but the sonic impressions of the Jr have been mostly positive. Even from someone who is absolutely ready to trash them without reservation if they deserve it.

I talked to Spritzer privately and he said the Shangri-La Jr is at BEST a very good Stax lambda series! Damn.... LMAO! He also said it is no where near 007 or 009 levels!
He is bias thou for his 007 i notice. But still. Poor Hifiman :p

So I was thinking My god should I spend $4000 for a Stax L700 sound! Damnnnnn...

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #531 of 1,367
Yea that assessment sounds very reasonable. If it wasn't for the price and build issues it really could be an attractive option depending on what one was looking for.

Edit :: and in the grand scheme of things the lambda series are damn good sounding headphones, so I wouldn't call it faint praise either.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #532 of 1,367
What you guys think of an tube preamp to feed Carbon? I think about the Vincent SA T7 or Sa 32. Additionally they have tone controls for bass and treble to adjust.

I wondered about this when I had the Carbon and the 009. I used to run the KGSShv off-board Sanyo 450v and at that time also had an Audio Note M3 tube pre-amp in the chain. It did warm things up but I found it killed the sounstage and layering, everything got too sluggish. In other words, too much was lost in the process, too many components in the chain.

If you want the tube sound it maybe be better going BHSE with NOS Mullards.

Some other ideas to tame the top end on the 009 and Carbon:

1. Use Roon and the inbuilt DSP to tweak the FR
2. Use the Phasure Lush USB cable, that helped a lot, warmed things up without loosing details
3. Reduce the mA on the PS. Mine was set to 18.5mA, but some guys who have the ~Carbon reckon it sounds better on 16.5mA, smoother, less manic in the treble region
4. Look at an R-2R DAC with tube gain stage and also have the ability to tube roll

Hope this helps

Sep 2, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #533 of 1,367
I wonder what the point of a 009S is when one could just as easily get a 009 and 007. But then I'm a flavor-er and not a holy grail-er.

Sep 2, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #535 of 1,367
The flavor is too small of a difference. That's why its called a 009S than 010 or 011!!

I believe that the 009S main point was a bulletproof driver. Than anything else.

Sep 2, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #536 of 1,367
The flavor is too small of a difference. That's why its called a 009S than 010 or 011!!

I believe that the 009S main point was a bulletproof driver. Than anything else.

If it's not gonna have bad QC bugs, that alone is indeed worth it.

So far though it seems everyone with both the SR-009 and SR-009S is saying the flavor is at least different enough to create a divided fanbase between them.

Sep 2, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #537 of 1,367
If it's not gonna have bad QC bugs, that alone is indeed worth it.

So far though it seems everyone with both the SR-009 and SR-009S is saying the flavor is at least different enough to create a divided fanbase between them.

Yes. I see your point. It can be said like this. Iphone 8 and iphone 8S or Iphone 9 and 9S. Same number but with better or worst enhancement.

Sep 2, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #538 of 1,367

Well my 1st 009S pair had a bad driver right out of the box, whereas my two 009's have been perfect since new :frowning2:

Correct me if wrong, but haven't the impressions of the T8000 amp been that it's a bit bright & lean? The 009S may also have been a tweak towards a better voice pairing with their new "flagship" amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back