STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Jul 23, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #496 of 1,367
What you guys think of an tube preamp to feed Carbon? I think about the Vincent SA T7 or Sa 32. Additionally they have tone controls for bass and treble to adjust.

I think it would be well worth a try. I use the tube pre-amp section of an Apex Pinnacle to feed my BHSE and its performance IMO is improved significantly, the sound now goes way beyond what the BHSE can do when driven directly from a DAC (in my system). It provides tighter more impactful bass; sweeter highs, and a more realistic soundstage. It makes the BHSE+SR-009 combination really sing - so now I'm waiting to see what introducing the SR-009S does !

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #497 of 1,367
May I kindly ask people to refrain from talking about the T2 or post any pictures of the sorts? This is really not good for my wallet, and my BHSE is not feeling loved :wink:

Not good for the wallet indeed... I am considering getting a $2300 KGSSHV from Birgir for work.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #498 of 1,367
Not good for the wallet indeed... I am considering getting a $2300 KGSSHV from Birgir for work.

Well, when you have a taste for any hobby....it means bye bye wallet....and it is true for any hobby ! The more you get involved, the further your wallet is out the windows.....girlfriends and women are also included LOL

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #503 of 1,367
May I kindly ask people to refrain from talking about the T2 or post any pictures of the sorts? This is really not good for my wallet, and my BHSE is not feeling loved :wink:

:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
589.gif
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #504 of 1,367
I think it would be well worth a try. I use the tube pre-amp section of an Apex Pinnacle to feed my BHSE and its performance IMO is improved significantly, the sound now goes way beyond what the BHSE can do when driven directly from a DAC (in my system). It provides tighter more impactful bass; sweeter highs, and a more realistic soundstage. It makes the BHSE+SR-009 combination really sing - so now I'm waiting to see what introducing the SR-009S does !

I think it’s fairly well known that adding a pre-amp stage is not needed if you DACs outputting a high quality signal, of course you may favour the extra distortion artifacts, but it’s not an improvement in fidelity.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #505 of 1,367
Rig 18.jpg
I thought using my Esoteric D-02 as DAC and Preamp is the best way to feed my Amp´s, Loudspeaker and Headphone. Since i have a new Gruensch-audio Power-amp with no volume control in my system i was a little bit disappointed as i discovered a slight hum, generated by the DAC.

So i had to add a volume control and tested a Accuphase Preamp.

First, as i expected it is not possible to hear any hum noise anymore, enough reason to buy the pre but in addition the system sound way more brilliant and dynamic. The same, maybe not so
extreme in sound improvement, for the BHSE.
For me, adding a Preamp is the way to go.
Staxheaven.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #506 of 1,367
Would you still call 009S being less Bass than 009 under your setup ? I can’t be the only one to say that 009S is not less bass but rather leaner and faster as it is still just dynamic and punchy. I would assume that adding a pre-amp will provide the oomph that 009S needs. I do really think 009S is harder to drive than 009 despite it fancy electrodes

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #507 of 1,367
They are very close to each other and i think the 009S get equal if you like to use more volume. Maybe the electrodes made that difference. I still feel the 009S is more sensestive or different in potential on good recording qualities. On better recording quality i like the 009S more.

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #508 of 1,367
I'm back in business, boyos - got my brand new replacement 009S today, courtesy of a strong effort on my behalf by HeadAmp (thanks Justin and Peter)! This pair is nice and quiet on both drivers so far. Fingers crossed; I have to admit being a little more paranoid than usual. But the other pair was bad right out of the box, so I have reason to be optimistic now.

I'm also in the process of switching my headphone setup from exclusively digital to a vinyl source (~10K total source; not a fair comparison vs. Yggy level DACs, but hey). No contest to my ears. WOOSH - that's the sound of me throwing away my entire digital file collection and moth-balling my DAC, lol. I'll be hitting my record collection even harder now. The 009S sounds really great from vinyl; I think it maintains most of the advantage over 009, that I'd originally heard on the digital source. Very natural midrange. No issue with lack of bass or dynamics.

Now the trick is that my main speaker/vinyl rig - after massive upgrades, lots of tweaking/matching, and gelling together over a year - has reached a level of musical satisfaction far beyond anything I've ever owned. Seriously, every weekend is spent stuck in front of that, spinning for hours of musical bliss with my girlfriend. Hoping to bring the separate Stax/vinyl rig up a bit closer to that level. I should get the T2 this week (thanks George!!), and I'm upgrading the phono cartridge from an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze to a Shelter Accord (I have a Harmony on the main rig). Good times!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #509 of 1,367
Honestly, I keep swapping 009 and the 009S, and I have to say that they are distinctively different! It is so freaking crazy. The idea to let one go in place of another is just getting more ridiculous per each time I am swapping them out LOL!

It is like waking up next to your wife one day and wishing that she would have gone to the gym and tone down, but then if she did that, you would wish for her to be a little more chubby some other day roflmao !

I was rolling this morning and then Swapping 009/009S. Suddenly I have the urge to try out the Interconnect that bring even more Oomph into the bass and sub-bass for my 009S.

This guy was made from Cardas 17.5Awg per pole, and there we go, all that Slam and rumbles even more (previously using pure solid silver XLR). Even running from LKS004 live conversion of DSD512 from my built PC. And that UltraPure Silver USB X_X totally tunable system with Stax :D. Btw, The T2 will love everything you toss at her, just as long as it is of good quality!

7F7F140A-51E7-4154-8DE9-CDBB01F95D28.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #510 of 1,367
Honestly, I keep swapping 009 and the 009S, and I have to say that they are distinctively different! It is so freaking crazy. The idea to let one go in place of another is just getting more ridiculous per each time I am swapping them out LOL!

It is like waking up next to your wife one day and wishing that she would have gone to the gym and tone down, but then if she did that, you would wish for her to be a little more chubby some other day roflmao !

I was rolling this morning and then Swapping 009/009S. Suddenly I have the urge to try out the Interconnect that bring even more Oomph into the bass and sub-bass for my 009S.

This guy was made from Cardas 17.5Awg per pole, and there we go, all that Slam and rumbles even more (previously using pure solid silver XLR). Even running from LKS004 live conversion of DSD512 from my built PC. And that UltraPure Silver USB X_X totally tunable system with Stax :D. Btw, The T2 will love everything you toss at her, just as long as it is of good quality!

If you can. Try to get a Voce and Shangri-la Jr and review that with the 009S+T2

This is what im seeking to know. Hope thats not asking too much :)

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back