STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
Jul 1, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #331 of 1,367
Coming from SRM717 over KGSS to Carbon and each step was easily one league better with SR007. But SR009 is not that amp dependant and also very good with SRM717. Each step in the amps are a few percent but not that league steps as with 007.

So are you saying with a 009 that a Carbon is only 10 or 20% above a Stax amp?

Interesting - as I am contemplating a Carbon purchase and have read significantly different reports most of which cite MASSIVE improvements over Stax amplifiers.

Jul 1, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #332 of 1,367
For some people 5% is another league for others it is not the case.
When you have the money go for Carbon. It can play a lot louder and is always clean sounding where an SRM717 has distortions at some point.
I never heared the T8000. This is maybe also a very good option but very expensive.

A percentage value from me will not help you. You have to hear it on your own. And then you can decide if it is worth for you or not.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #333 of 1,367
For some people 5% is another league for others it is not the case.
When you have the money go for Carbon. It can play a lot louder and is always clean sounding where an SRM717 has distortions at some point.
I never heared the T8000. This is maybe also a very good option but very expensive.
Literally nobody is saying the T8000 is a good option, lol. The Carbon is indeed excellent (and a fabulous match with 009S). It's a lot more than 5% better than the 727 I heard. I do tend to listen loud, so that probably exacerbates the difference.

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #334 of 1,367
With a SR-0007, these different amps change the headpphone into a completely different beast. The SR-007 is VERY different with each amp. I dont think that this is the same with the SR-009.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #335 of 1,367
With a SR-0007, these different amps change the headpphone into a completely different beast. The SR-007 is VERY different with each amp. I dont think that this is the same with the SR-009. Some say that 353X even is enough for the SR-009. And yes, many say that the T8000 is a good match for the SR-009. Just not here maybe. I dont do very high volumes though, and maybe others neither, so that could be an exlanation, too.

I am currently testing out a 009S and using the 353XBK (which came with my L300LE).
I would not purchase a T8000 as there seems to be 1) universal hate for this amplifier 2) it is actually MORE expensive than a Carbon

It is interesting to hear now two different people comment on the lack of "major upgrade" a Carbon provides over the Stax branded amplifiers.
Not to question anyones comments. I am trying to keep a "score card" as Padam has been doing with internet reviews of the 009S.
So far the scorecard from my interwebs reading (and a few PM's) still shows those who say "major" upgrade to the Carbon are running easily in the majority.
Still causes one to think - as I have been unable to demo a Carbon so it will be a leap of faith.

I continue to listen to the 009S with my 353X and compare it to my Utopia/Moon 430HA. The 009S continues to impress vs. the Utopia - especially if it is handicapped by the 353 I am using which cannot provide all that it needs.

Another point of interest I just realized (duh - light bulb going off). My Utopia is also playing a bit unfairly against the Stax - it has an upgraded cable Kimber Axios cable.
Its CHEATING :)

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #336 of 1,367
I am currently testing out a 009S and using the 353XBK (which came with my L300LE).
I would not purchase a T8000 as there seems to be 1) universal hate for this amplifier 2) it is actually MORE expensive than a Carbon

It is interesting to hear now two different people comment on the lack of "major upgrade" a Carbon provides over the Stax branded amplifiers.
Not to question anyones comments. I am trying to keep a "score card" as Padam has been doing with internet reviews of the 009S.
So far the scorecard from my interwebs reading (and a few PM's) still shows those who say "major" upgrade to the Carbon are running easily in the majority.
Still causes one to think - as I have been unable to demo a Carbon so it will be a leap of faith.

I continue to listen to the 009S with my 353X and compare it to my Utopia/Moon 430HA. The 009S continues to impress vs. the Utopia - especially if it is handicapped by the 353 I am using which cannot provide all that it needs.

Another point of interest I just realized (duh - light bulb going off). My Utopia is also playing a bit unfairly against the Stax - it has an upgraded cable Kimber Axios cable.
Its CHEATING :)

Well you can't replace the Stax cable so nothing can be done about that. From what I understand though, Stax cables are of very high quality.

Jul 1, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #337 of 1,367
I actually really like the Utopia (especially with a vinyl source; it doesn't mesh as well with digital which is the opposite of Stax), but no cable & amp on earth can make the Utopia sound as good as a well-amped 009S. Not even that close; the Stax 009S just crushes it in the midrange. So I wouldn't worry about that "unfairness" lol. I have both a Draug Silver and Silver Dragon for my Utopia, btw.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #338 of 1,367
I actually really like the Utopia (especially with a vinyl source; it doesn't mesh as well with digital which is the opposite of Stax), but no cable & amp on earth can make the Utopia sound as good as a well-amped 009S. Not even that close; the Stax 009S just crushes it in the midrange. So I wouldn't worry about that "unfairness" lol. I have both a Draug Silver and Silver Dragon for my Utopia, btw.

Well - since two channel (Brit UK) is my primary listening I strictly adhere to source first for budget allocation. Digital on the Utopia is no problem at all - a Linn Klimax DS for source doesn't hurt matters :).

Actually the amp is handicapping my Utopia imho - Moon 430HA. Just so so.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #339 of 1,367
Well - since two channel (Brit UK) is my primary listening I strictly adhere to source first for budget allocation. Digital on the Utopia is no problem at all - a Linn Klimax DS for source doesn't hurt matters :).

Actually the amp is handicapping my Utopia imho - Moon 430HA. Just so so.
I quit on digital, and downgraded to an inexpensive DAC that I like (ECP Audio - sounds more analog-ish) for all my FLAC and DSD files. I have ALL my heavy source funds allocated to vinyl (literally 40x or more invested than what I have in my digital side, lol); all my eggs are in that basket. That said, your Linn streamer looks to be quite the gorgeous piece! I won't pony up, but I wish I had one. I'll bet it sounds amazing.

The Moon looks like a nice amp too (haven't heard it), but yeah I'll bet you can do better for the Utopias. I've been running an old (circa 2003) HeadAmp Gilmore Balanced Reference, and I love it. Sounds absolutely great with the Utopias on vinyl. But, priorities man...get your 009S a Carbon or BHSE!

Jul 1, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #340 of 1,367
I am the same as you in that vinyl is my primary source of travel (said the man with 7k LP's on the shelves).
Vinyl is served up by a maxed out Linn LP12 so I am happy :)

The Moon was chosen over a GSX because 1) my sources are in my 2 channel system and are taken off of my Naim preamp. DIN to RCA cable out from the preamp so no balanced input capable for the GSX so it would be wasted fed single ended. Supposedly HeadAmp are working on a new unit which will internally convert single ended RCA inputs to balanced. 2) the Moon has a remote control :). With that said it is a bit "slow" and a touch veiled imho.
Benchmark are shortly releasing a new headphone amp which looks very interesting - remote control too!

BHSE - no - too old to mess with tubes. I also want something that I can turn on and immediately listen to - and also be able to leave it on all day.
Carbon will provost likely be in my future. Still demoing the 009S and trying to get a handle around it. As I said - it is rather impressive run through the 353 vs. the Utopia so - I WOULD HOPE - that a Carbon would take it off to the stratosphere - which is what most seem to say.

Things need more "weight" - not more bass which I am fine with - everything simply needs a bit more weight. It does seem that people say stats can be a bit "thin" compared to others - if the Carbon can do that then I would be happy. The 353 may also be sometimes contributing to a "pinch" of zzzz..... on the vocals. So far the obvious improvement over the Utopia is detail and clarity. Also a lot of "air" around everything - instruments and vocals. Top notch vinyl gives a 3 dimensional presentation vs. mediocre digital. That is what the 009S is doing vs. the Utopia. The Utopia sounds like it is only 2 dimensional compared to the Stax. Focal still nailed it though. Being under the corporate umbrella with Naim paid off as the headphones have loads of PRAT - the most important thing. They did it with definitive start and stopping of the notes and vocals a touch up front. If your toes don't tap then something is wrong.

Jul 1, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #341 of 1,367
Supposedly HeadAmp are working on a new unit which will internally convert single ended RCA inputs to balanced.

I wonder if this is a Super Symmetry Dynalo, but I was told this would be a new GS-1 and I would imagine it shouldn't be in the same league as the GS-X Mk2... who knows.

The SR-009 never sounded thin to me, and the SR-007 is one of the most full bodied headphones I have ever listened to. Though I suppose the Lambdas might be thin sounding? To me, it is dynamic headphones that are often guilty of sounding excessively thin, but I've never listened to a Stax Lambda.

Jul 1, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #342 of 1,367
There is some information on the other forum but yes - a GSX light so I would imagine a step below - however it will not need a balanced input.

As for thin - hopefully it's the 353 which is responsible for that. "Thin" is also relative to my Utopias which have a very visceral impact.
That said the 009S's are doing quite a bit right.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #343 of 1,367
Things need more "weight" - not more bass which I am fine with - everything simply needs a bit more weight. It does seem that people say stats can be a bit "thin" compared to others - if the Carbon can do that then I would be happy.

Keep in mind the choices of the builder will have an influence on that, there is no one carbon, there are a lot of different ways a builder can go not only with parts choices but also powering it.

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #344 of 1,367
I am the same as you in that vinyl is my primary source of travel (said the man with 7k LP's on the shelves).
Vinyl is served up by a maxed out Linn LP12 so I am happy :)

The Moon was chosen over a GSX because 1) my sources are in my 2 channel system and are taken off of my Naim preamp. DIN to RCA cable out from the preamp so no balanced input capable for the GSX so it would be wasted fed single ended. Supposedly HeadAmp are working on a new unit which will internally convert single ended RCA inputs to balanced. 2) the Moon has a remote control :). With that said it is a bit "slow" and a touch veiled imho.
Benchmark are shortly releasing a new headphone amp which looks very interesting - remote control too!

BHSE - no - too old to mess with tubes. I also want something that I can turn on and immediately listen to - and also be able to leave it on all day.
Carbon will provost likely be in my future. Still demoing the 009S and trying to get a handle around it. As I said - it is rather impressive run through the 353 vs. the Utopia so - I WOULD HOPE - that a Carbon would take it off to the stratosphere - which is what most seem to say.

Things need more "weight" - not more bass which I am fine with - everything simply needs a bit more weight. It does seem that people say stats can be a bit "thin" compared to others - if the Carbon can do that then I would be happy. The 353 may also be sometimes contributing to a "pinch" of zzzz..... on the vocals. So far the obvious improvement over the Utopia is detail and clarity. Also a lot of "air" around everything - instruments and vocals. Top notch vinyl gives a 3 dimensional presentation vs. mediocre digital. That is what the 009S is doing vs. the Utopia. The Utopia sounds like it is only 2 dimensional compared to the Stax. Focal still nailed it though. Being under the corporate umbrella with Naim paid off as the headphones have loads of PRAT - the most important thing. They did it with definitive start and stopping of the notes and vocals a touch up front. If your toes don't tap then something is wrong.
The Carbon will definitely give your 009S the weight you crave...I guarantee it!

And yes, My Gilmore Balanced Reference has the same affliction as the GS-X in that it will not balance an SE source (like most phono stages), and thus will waste half of the amplification circuitry. However, there are additional factors to consider here. One, the design of the Gilmore amps is of such high quality, that the penalty for running SE vs. balanced is much smaller. I've tried this on a number of balanced amps. The Gilmore Balanced Ref still sounds excellent from SE inputs; not that far from balanced. Whereas on both the RSA Apache, Headroom Balanced Home and Balanced Max (the last Headroom versions; MUCH better than pre-2006 versions) that the drop-off performance from balanced to SE inputs is HUGE.

Two, you can buy a Jensen ISO Max transformer to convert a SE signal to balanced. This will allow you to use the full circuitry of a GS-X from an SE source, at the expense of an extra set of quality interconnects. These transformers are quite affordable, and reasonably transparent for our purposes.

Naim gear indeed sounds awesome. I first heard the Utopia off the simple headphone jack of a Naim integrated (the one ~ 3.5K), and that experience really struck me!

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #345 of 1,367
Utopia is the most overrated headphone I know. I had it 3 times. But the narrow soundstage and the highs are no contest against the 009.
The only open TOTL headphone I have beside my Stax phones is the LCD4 with near ectrostatic resolution and that punchy bass and smooth mids!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back