STAX SIGMAS COMPARED, LOW BIAS, SIGMA PRO AND SIGMA/404
Jun 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #76 of 149
The 1000 404LE's sold in a few months and Stax couldn't build them fast enough to keep up with the demand.  As for the SR-Sigma Pro, I'd guess there are quite a few of them out there but not as many as the normal bias version.  The S-Pro was gone from the brochures by the early 90's but they could be custom ordered long after that. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #77 of 149
I've got a quote from a Polish distributor:

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/Distributor-Poland.html

400$ for a pair of drivers + 120$ for the cable.

i find the price of the drivers way too high.

will continue looking...

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #78 of 149
Man I feel the burn from UPS! I bought a pair for $500 and had them sent to Canada sadly they were declared as $500 also.  The brokerage fee from UPS was $134.84.
They take $54.85 just for themselves and then duty and taxes. The UPS guy told my mother that UPS is the most expensive way to go and said he hoped they were
worth it. I bought a soundcard and amp off ebay and it was about $450 US and the guy sent it DHL I think it was about $40 in duty. Over my dead body will
I ever use UPS. I don't know how they can be competitive and get repeat customers.

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #80 of 149
I have the Sigma Pros and The Sigma non Pros.  You can run both off of the Stax SRM007t amp.  I tend to keep my Sigma Pros on the SRM007t or SRM007ta amps.  If I am using my Sigma non Pros I like to use the SRA 12S.  I think that the SRA 12S does justice to the Sigma non pros.  It gives off a clean and tight sound.  I would like to know where I could get a pair of the Sigma 404s?  Scottsmrnyc

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #81 of 149
Sigma 404s? Hardly anybody has these and none have been for sale. The only practical way to get one is to sacrifice one of your Sigmas to an upgrade procedure.
From any discussions I have heard, the Sigma Pro, although the rarest, may be the best candidate and would be improved the most, but even the standard Sigma is a way different animal when turned into a Sigma 404. 

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #82 of 149

Quote:
I have the Sigma Pros and The Sigma non Pros.  You can run both off of the Stax SRM007t amp.  I tend to keep my Sigma Pros on the SRM007t or SRM007ta amps.  If I am using my Sigma non Pros I like to use the SRA 12S.  I think that the SRA 12S does justice to the Sigma non pros.  It gives off a clean and tight sound.  I would like to know where I could get a pair of the Sigma 404s?  Scottsmrnyc

I also like my low bias Sigma off an SRA 12S.  I added a PS Audio Noise Harvetser to the power outlet in the back and got a notable increase in sweetness of sound.

Quote:
Sigma 404s? Hardly anybody has these and none have been for sale. The only practical way to get one is to sacrifice one of your Sigmas to an upgrade procedure.
From any discussions I have heard, the Sigma Pro, although the rarest, may be the best candidate and would be improved the most, but even the standard Sigma is a way different animal when turned into a Sigma 404. 

While I like the low bias Sigma a great deal, I still think that the Sigma pro will sound better in dynamics and clarity in a comparable amp and would probably sacrifice a low bias Sigma to make it a Sigma/404.  But I am sure others can disagree.

Given the scarcity of all Sigmas I hesitate  to recommend that anyone scafrifice a working model but try to find  a broken one to modify.

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #83 of 149
I would have a hard time converting either my normal bias or the Pro to a 404, but may eventually do it.
Not sure which one I would sacrifice though. Recently changed the head band on my Pro and now both are on mint shape.
They sound great for chamber music and Jazz. For busy orchestral works or complicated bass sections in Baroque music, the bass can become a little fussy. 
Bach's chorales however sound so real it's almost like being there. The soundstage takes you to the Chappel were the singers are performing.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #84 of 149
I had a package waiting for me when I got home...

(sorry for the crappy pic)

They rest on my head very lightly, and feel like they'd fall off with any sudden movement - is this normal or do I need to change the headband arc thingy?

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #86 of 149
That's a normal Sigma headband. One of the most comfortable listening experiences ever. The Sigma/404s with a 202 or 404 headband will press laterally with much more force. Great sound eh?

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #87 of 149
Thanks for the responses guys.

I dont think the headband is stretched. I took one off one my lambda headbands and tried it. It felt pretty similar. Maybe my head is just a bit small?

I also looked at my 202 and 404LE headbands. Those are of a different design and dont fit the sigma earspeakers as the 'connectors' are plastic vs metal. 

I suspect some new lambda earpads may solve my problem as the ones on the sigmas look quite thin.

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #89 of 149
Thanks for the link.

Interesting suggestion there of drilling some holes so something like the 202 headbands will fit - no way I'm doing that!

I suppose the sigmas feel the way they do on my head as they are relatively heavy and bulky. I'll try to get a detailed listen to them someday soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back