STAX SIGMAS COMPARED, LOW BIAS, SIGMA PRO AND SIGMA/404
Apr 26, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #46 of 149
Went to a solo grand piano concert 2 days ago - unamplified and in a fairly reverberant hall 2nd row and was surprised at the lovely smooth tone of the notes - interestingly enough, just like the Sigma/404's reproduction of recorded piano. The Lambda Nova Signature, even with the diffuse field equaliser on, is quite a bit more peaky in the attack of the notes than what I heard. Haven't heard unamplified music for a very long time - it sounds wonderful. Lovely to hear the notes decay in a hall also.

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #47 of 149
I have been listening to Mozart operas with the Sigma. Ed is correct regarding its airy sound, more than the Sigma Pro.
All in all, the normal bias Sigma is a keeper for me too.
I like the Sigma Pro more, but not sure I could let go of the normal bias Sigma. If I ever upgrade to the 404 driver, it may be the Pro that gets it.
John. I have listened to Murray Peraia, but from farther back in the theater. The sound coming out of his fingers is like raindrops. Uchida playing
Mozart piano sonatas sounds lovely from the Sigma.

May 31, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #48 of 149

Quote:
Went to a solo grand piano concert 2 days ago - unamplified and in a fairly reverberant hall 2nd row and was surprised at the lovely smooth tone of the notes - interestingly enough, just like the Sigma/404's reproduction of recorded piano. The Lambda Nova Signature, even with the diffuse field equaliser on, is quite a bit more peaky in the attack of the notes than what I heard. Haven't heard unamplified music for a very long time - it sounds wonderful. Lovely to hear the notes decay in a hall also.

Quote:
I have been listening to Mozart operas with the Sigma. Ed is correct regarding its airy sound, more than the Sigma Pro.
All in all, the normal bias Sigma is a keeper for me too.
I like the Sigma Pro more, but not sure I could let go of the normal bias Sigma. If I ever upgrade to the 404 driver, it may be the Pro that gets it.
John. I have listened to Murray Peraia, but from farther back in the theater. The sound coming out of his fingers is like raindrops. Uchida playing
Mozart piano sonatas sounds lovely from the Sigma.

The Sigma's  spatial qualities adds a sense of being at a real performance. Often when I would listen  to speakers or headphones after coming out of a concert hall, I would be struck by the fact that it did not sound like the real thing.  However, I have attended a fair nuumber of operas in the last couple of years and when I come back and put on the Sigma/404 in particular, I am transported back to the opera hall with none of the usual sense of disconnect.

About the only criticism I could make after the most recent 5 hour performance of Gotterdamerung was a touch of harshness in the french horns and soprano voice and this could be as much an amp/dac/recording issue. I should add that my 007A/717 had even more of this harshness, possibly because of its hf peak.  Still It was not much too complain about but more obvious because of the very long time spent listening to the real thing in the opera hall.

May 31, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #49 of 149
there is a Sigma Pro in the for sale forums today. Can't beat the price at 500.00 USD 
eek.gif

Since I already have 2 Sigmas, I will pass!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

We'll see how long it takes for it to sell. 
popcorn.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/494902/fs-stax-sigma-pro

May 31, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #50 of 149

Quote:
The Sigma's  spatial qualities adds a sense of being at a real performance. Often when I would listen  to speakers or headphones after coming out of a concert hall, I would be struck by the fact that it did not sound like the real thing.  However, I have attended a fair nuumber of operas in the last couple of years and when I come back and put on the Sigma/404 in particular, I am transported back to the opera hall with none of the usual sense of disconnect.

About the only criticism I could make after the most recent 5 hour performance of Gotterdamerung was a touch of harshness in the french horns and soprano voice and this could be as much an amp/dac/recording issue. I should add that my 007A/717 had even more of this harshness, possibly because of its hf peak.  Still It was not much too complain about but more obvious because of the very long time spent listening to the real thing in the opera hall.

The Sigma/404 just sounds great for piano - there is most of the bottom end heft present without the added top end peakiness (that isn't apparent in a live environment). I still like the LNS for it's slightly better bottom end, but the top end is still a bit too bright compared to real life. I've said it before, for midrange, the whole Sigma range is unbeatable. The NB Sigma had too much of a treble roll off and too big a bass hump for my liking - the 404 driver sorted that out nicely. I don't really miss the 007 Mk 1 much, lol. The equalised LNS and the Sigma/404 suit me just fine.

May 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #51 of 149

Quote:
The Sigma/404 just sounds great for piano - there is most of the bottom end heft present without the added top end peakiness (that isn't apparent in a live environment). I still like the LNS for it's slightly better bottom end, but the top end is still a bit too bright compared to real life. I've said it before, for midrange, the whole Sigma range is unbeatable. The NB Sigma had too much of a treble roll off and too big a bass hump for my liking - the 404 driver sorted that out nicely. I don't really miss the 007 Mk 1 much, lol. The equalised LNS and the Sigma/404 suit me just fine.

Are you saying you dumped the 007's?

May 31, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #53 of 149
Yeah, he did sell it.....  crazy Australians.... 
biggrin.gif

Is it true Yamasinc is not longer Stax distributor in the US? Oh man, who will then make the conversion for me when I make up my mind? 

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #55 of 149
i certainly did, Ed! Crazy Australians indeed!

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #59 of 149
Henerenry, where were you when I had them up for sale?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back