SRH840 impression
Oct 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #2,071 of 2,135
I'm another happy user happy of the SRH-840. I use it with a Meridian Explorer and my laptop (running J. River 19) to play FLAC files at work. The closed-back, over-the-ear design gives very nice reduction of ambient and keeps my music from disturbing others. The sound is pretty mellow, IMO, in a good way, with good soundstage and imaging and nice frequency balance, if a little on the warm side. I listen to classical, jazz, bluegrass, and a little rock, and they all are highly enjoyable.

I haven't had much chance to use them on a fancier rig, but I'm very, very pleased at what these phones offer for the money.

The SRH-840 may not be "better" than my Sennheiser HD 650, but they are easier to listen through for hours at a time -- both in comfort (the 650 clamp my head too hard) and in a more mellow frequency response.

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #2,072 of 2,135
Love the sound out of these things. Much more balanced than the Senns 380's I had before (though the Senns were quite fun with that boomy bass, as well) and overall more suitable for mixing.

Anyone else find the headband a bit uncomfortable? It just feels like it puts too much pressure on the top of my head. I have to physically slide it up and down to relieve the pressure point, every 15 minutes or so. Any remedy for that? Is there a way to add more padding on the h-band itself?

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #2,073 of 2,135
Anyone else find the headband a bit uncomfortable? It just feels like it puts too much pressure on the top of my head. I have to physically slide it up and down to relieve the pressure point, every 15 minutes or so. Any remedy for that? Is there a way to add more padding on the h-band itself?

I've not had that problem. I suppose you've tried just sliding the earpieces down a little bit (you know they adjust)?

Good luck with it!

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #2,074 of 2,135
The 840 headband has this massive rubbery weight in it. Check this out...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/484116/my-shure-840-mod-warning-lots-of-pictures
http://www.head-fi.org/t/485381/shure-840-frankstein-headband-mod-mission-complete

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,075 of 2,135
Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread but I have a question. I've owned these since they were released and think they're great. Recently though I've been tending to use headphones when out & about and these are just no good for that. So I've been looking at the momentum (full-size) and I really like the look of them. I could happily use them outside too. What do the momentums sound like in comparison to the Shures though? Any thought anyone?

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #2,076 of 2,135
I have both as well. I bought the Momentums for much the same reason you are considering them - closed headphones that are light and comfortable to wear around. I definitely prefer the sound of the Momentums, they have a richer, more satisfying sound.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #2,077 of 2,135
Thanks for getting back to me Mikey. Unfortunately since I posted I bought a pair of V-Moda M-100's for portable use. I've had so many Sennheiser in the past and always end up getting rid of them because while they do tend to be accurate I usually get bored with them. So I thought I'd gamble on the M-100's. So far, so good.

Thanks again for replying and I hope you enjoy the Momentums.

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #2,080 of 2,135
My AKG K540, which I bought for 80 euro's 1,5 years ago, have as much clarity as the Shure SRH-840's, only with less, more recessed mids, and way more bass, and more treble.

But back then they were almost half the price of the 840's. They're even cheaper now at their price of 65 euro's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back