SRH840 impression
Sep 7, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #2,102 of 2,135
Does anyone know of a tutorial or if it's possible to tighten the sliders on the Shure SRH headphones? One of my sliders is quite loose.

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #2,103 of 2,135
Dear everyone,

I have a dilemma. I want to buy the AKG K550 which I had earlier but the seal is so bad that I am hesitating.

However, I also am looking is the SRH1540 which is out of budget as of right now but I am willing to safe up. Only that would take too long because I just cant handle so long without a headphone.

So my concerns are how does these sound compared to the AKG K550, what is the build quality of this headphone (really important, I use these EVERYWHERE), what is the comfort level of these (stock, and velour).

Thanks for your time.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,104 of 2,135
Better build than the k550, I could never get a good seal on the akg so I found them subpar, who knows with a good seal. Comfort, I never minded the shures, the headband is a hit and miss with people. IF the k550 wouldn't have been so big on my head and not fit, I bet I'd give it the nod on comfort. Really the shures are a great hp, if you're going to go next tier up, you may want to consider a mad dog and bypass the 1540s, planars are magical, to me, and Manu others

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #2,105 of 2,135
Hi, I am considering buying the SRH840 for listening to classical music (Mainly symphonies). Do you recommend them for this purpuse? And also, Is there a mod to correct the bass roll off? And theyr'e not too wide, right?  Thanks

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #2,106 of 2,135
Anyone ever liberate the drivers and do a different enclosure? I hate the nid bass hump. Thinking of pulling the drivers out and doing a semi open cup. Ideas?

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #2,107 of 2,135
  so, finished wiring for dual hifiman smc connectors, now have a balanced shure 840, sound improved. Problem is, i have a very open airy insanely detailed He4. So, i want to further mod the 840, i realize i wont get anywhere near the he4, but im aiming at improving the highs. Waiting for the new alcantara pads still, and wood partial cups are prepped for danish oil treatment. Im also considering dampening a bit, as the low mids are intruding a little to much into the spectrum. I can eq the highs but id rather find a way to get them naturally. Maybe an open 840? its an easy fix i may be trying.

if you want them to sound like beats do that.

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #2,108 of 2,135
Nov 10, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #2,110 of 2,135
Has anyone tried the alcantara pads from the 1540 on these?
Do they make much of a difference to the sound?
Are they cooler?

My final set of  stock pleather ear pads are on the way out and I thought I might try these as a replacement.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #2,111 of 2,135
  Hi, I am considering buying the SRH840 for listening to classical music (Mainly symphonies). Do you recommend them for this purpuse? And also, Is there a mod to correct the bass roll off? And theyr'e not too wide, right?  Thanks

Do you need a closed can, then better try DT660 premium, does (Mahler) symphonies much better..Open headphones are preferable for classical though IMO..

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #2,112 of 2,135
So about 70 hours later I am suprised how I can love a closed Can...

It sure opened up and does remind me of my SE530, the bass finally starting to tighten up and is developping a great definition which I hope will develop even more over time, mids are good, very clear and crisp,treble is superb, tons of detail, very clear..

The overall balance of this headphone is excellent IMO, I couldn't be more happy

Way other league then the D2000 if you ask me.

Did I say the detail of Shure is stunning!!

Hi Quinto! May I ask how did you burned-in this headphones? Is pink noise enough to turn the bass tight?

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #2,115 of 2,135
I actually think these headphones are really source dependent.

When I listened to them from my mp4 player 3 years ago, I thought they sounded excellent, but when I listened to them with my Blackberry phone 2 years ago, they sounded harsh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back