SRH840 impression
Jan 10, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #1,906 of 2,135
Just to let people know, I did receive a new pair and I'm extremely happy with the service I received. Now I'm just hoping these will last a bit longer.

Funny thing, I haven't been a big believer in burning in headphones, but straight out of the package these actually are very bassy. I remember moaning about it when I first received them, but over the time I got used to it. However, now that this new pair is again too bassy/muddy for my taste I suppose I will have to reconsider my stance on the whole burn in matter. Maybe there is something to it after all... 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #1,908 of 2,135
Jan 10, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #1,910 of 2,135
That's good to hear. The trouble is I need good mid-range and from what I read it's not Beyer's speciality. However it might still be better than the Shure's. From what I can gather the Beyer's are a touch reticent in the mid's and that's what keeps me from pulling the trigger. It occurs to me from reading extensively around here that maybe no headphones are good in the mids for the price of the 880's. If this is true I'm stuffed because money is tight. Of course there's always the AKG K702's which I gather are pretty good in the mids but then the frequency extremes seem to suffer.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,911 of 2,135
I found the 840s to be quite nice in the midrange, performing better than the Beyer 770 and 990 (I haven't heard the 880) in that regard. Heck, I think the 840 is better than the 770 and 990 overall, though I am admittedly just not a fan of the Beyers.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #1,912 of 2,135
That's exactly my problem - no reference point. These might be the best (or the worst) headphones in the world, but without listening to any competitor how would I know. I wish Shure would release a new model to sit above the 840's, that would be interesting.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #1,913 of 2,135
I got a pair of SRH840s not too long ago. I got these after reading a bunch of reviews on head-fi and other places that talk about their great sound and they indeed deliver. I pair them with my iBasso D4 Mamba (used as a DAC and amp, with gain on) which I picked up from a fellow Head-Fier not too long ago and they sound amazing. 

Here is my 2cents on the 840.

Downsides first:

Physically:

Weight: I find the biggest downside to them is the weight. I got a close friend of mine 440's for christmas and they are definitely lighter. Significantly lighter. Although inertia is still a b*tch for both of them (any quick head movements = fail). They really are large cans. 

Clamping Pressure/Headband: Oh, the clamp force on my little head. Maybe my ears stick out and touch the pads that cover the speakers. Or a combination of a lot of clamping pressure and that. I don't have an obscenely small head or anything, to be honest I'm just a normal average sized 19 year old. 5'10. 170lbs. Nothing special. The headband is also large. Even on the smallest size, they tend to slip off if I bend my head down too much. The clamping pressure keeps the cups on my ears to use them as an axis while the headband slips down. On the 440's the issue is not as bad due to the headband being significantly lighter, but even on the 440's the headband is still relatively large and heavy. I read only in one of two of the reviews online about the head size being meant for larger people, but I forwent such comments because of the price (budget, nothing crazy) and the sound (I've also had good experience with the Shure customer service with my SCL2 cables cracking every half year...but that is another story). So this point should be noted to younger Head-Fiers and just those who have smaller heads.

Sound:

Fatiguing: Another downside, at least for me is that I find the music, while it sounds great, not as engaging as I'd like and thus fatiguing. Or maybe its just the clamping on my head.

Leaking: Also, while these cans are closed cans, sound definitely leaks, and if you are close enough, you can hear the music. But this is like within the range of hugging and stuff (as well as dependent on your volume), so its a non issue as most people will not enter your personal space....but you should know it does not block out all sound. So don't listen to things you don't want people to hear you listening to at super loud volumes. (Insert obscene inappropriate jokes here)

Soundstage: I don't know if it is just me, but for some reason I can't get the music to stop playing from behind me. It's like the band is on a stage behind me and I'm standing at the front of the stage with my feet touching the edge and they are playing to my back. Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I'm just thinking that and then my brain sets up for me to listen to it like that. I really don't know. 

Upsides (is that the opposite of downsides?):

Physically:

Pads: The pads on the 840's are indeed loads better than those of the 440. They are soft and comfy. This also factored into why I got the 840s. 440's can be found for ~$80. 840's can be had for ~$150. I figured if I wanted the better pads, I'd prob end up paying $20 for them and $5 for shipping so the additional $70 for the 840s meant ~$25 for better pads and $45 for the better cans. Anyway, just a thought for people with the money who cant decide whether or not they want the 840 or 440.

Sound:

Bass: The bass does not lack. They are no Dr. Dre Beats, but they definitely don't lack. I don't find them to be overpowering at all. 

Detail: Instrument separation is amazing. I don't listen to classical, but I can hear all sorts of instruments that I've never noticed and they come out clear. You have to try to listen to the sounds in the background though, its the subtle bass playing in the background and stuff that just become more apparent and clearer. Music is more detailed and just sounds plain nice. 

Vocals: Vocals, they sing to me. Oh Cat Power...you beautiful woman you.

Summary:

The cans sound perfectly fine out of my Macbook Pro and my iPod Classic, but do benefit greatly from my dac/amp. My friend's 440 also benefits from the D4, but not as much as the 840. Her 440's aren't completely burned in yet, but from what I heard, I found the detail to be lacking compared to my 840's which have been burned in maybe 50+ hours (probably more...but thats just a ballpark-ish).

I guess what I'm saying is that the headphones sound great, but aren't exactly ones that make you go crazy and want to dance. But it should be noted that they are "Professional Monitoring Headphones" not remotely close to any of those Dr. Dre Beats or whatever that are meant to blast your music and make a rave in your head. They are also meant for people with larger heads. They are heavy. If you can stand the downsides I've found, then get them. They will make you happy. Especially if you have an amp.

Oh, and for the record, I listen to a lot of indie, alternative, rock. I'm also not a music/audiophile expert. I just enjoy my music. I'm only a college student doing computer science, so I tend to sit in front of the computer a lot and listen to music while I work. Take my opinion for what you will. Maybe get the cans and make your own. Cheers.

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #1,914 of 2,135
the 880s actually have quite good mids, there's a slight treble emphasis which I actually enjoy. 

i think the 880s are substantially better than the 770s and the 990s, both of which have emphasised the bass at the expense of the rest of the spectrum

that said, there is no accounting for taste and the SH840s and DT880s actually sound quite different so it'll be best if you could try them for yourself

Quote:
That's good to hear. The trouble is I need good mid-range and from what I read it's not Beyer's speciality. However it might still be better than the Shure's. From what I can gather the Beyer's are a touch reticent in the mid's and that's what keeps me from pulling the trigger. It occurs to me from reading extensively around here that maybe no headphones are good in the mids for the price of the 880's. If this is true I'm stuffed because money is tight. Of course there's always the AKG K702's which I gather are pretty good in the mids but then the frequency extremes seem to suffer.

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #1,915 of 2,135
Au5t3n5 - I agree with almost everything you've said but what really struck a chord was your impression of the sound coming from behind you, me too! I'm not sure why this is because other than yourself I've not heard anyone else ever comment on this but it's certainly true in my case. It stops me from ever becoming truly immersed in the sound and that's annoying. Could it be a side-effect of them being closed cans?

Imademymark - That's what I always read - that the 880's are the better of the three affordable Beyers. Finding a retailer isn't easy around my neck of the woods though, especially for the 600Ohm version (which I think I would prefer).

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #1,916 of 2,135
I find these very comfortable and very secure on the head. I like the chassis a lot. "Clamping force" was perfect right out of the box for me.

I don't have a problem with sounds appearing to originate behind me. I can't listen to headphones with a wide soundstage very well (AD700s, which I just sold) because of the significant differences in how each of my ears work. The 840s are pretty much the limit in soundstage / wideness for me, anything more and it becomes disconcerting to listen to.

I find the sound not lacking in any frequency range. It sounds pretty natural. Detail is pretty good. Bass is decently rounded and overall liveliness is good. I'm pretty satisfied with them overall, and I'll be keeping them as closed cans.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,917 of 2,135

Quote:
Au5t3n5 - I agree with almost everything you've said but what really struck a chord was your impression of the sound coming from behind you, me too! I'm not sure why this is because other than yourself I've not heard anyone else ever comment on this but it's certainly true in my case. It stops me from ever becoming truly immersed in the sound and that's annoying. Could it be a side-effect of them being closed cans?

I don't know about it being a result of closed cans, but the weird sound stage definitely detracts from being able to immerse myself in the music. I'm glad at least someone here agrees with me and that I'm actually not crazy. Haha.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #1,919 of 2,135
I've really been enjoying the heck out of my SRH840s lately.
What started out as sort of a step-child headphone in my stable has become the go-to headphone in my work rig.

What I've come to realize with the Shures is that they are a little picky about synergy with a particular setup, and they have a burn-in/acclimation period that is very long (whichever you subscribe to).
Sort of on par with the Ultrasone Edition 8.  The more hours of head-time you put on them, the smoother they will sound.  To my ears, anyway.

Right now, my work setup is seriously rivaling my reference home rig.  Not in terms of ultimate resolution, but in terms of pure enjoyment.  
And that is both frustrating and satisfying at the same time.  ; )

Work rig:

Foobar  -->  S/PDIF Bridge by Halide Design  -->  Meier StageDAC  -->  WireWorld Eclipse 6 RCA interconnects  -->  Woo Audio WA6 (GE 6FD7s and EML 5U4G)  -->  SRH840.

And, voila.  A very satisfying rig.

Peace,
The Wuss

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #1,920 of 2,135
Hello! I've recently bought a pair of this headphones, and I'm very satisfied with them.

I'm currently driving the Shure with my Xonar D1 soundcard, and was wondering if I would be getting a lot of improvements by buying a dedicated amp or an external DAC. If there would be some improvements, what's the best option around $200?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back