SRH840 impression
Feb 18, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #1,667 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy cow Hsiu, you sure do have a melon of a head!
tongue.gif

I have a small/medium-sized head, and the most I can extend it to is to the 3rd notch. So HaiDukken!, I think you'll be fine.

And I do use the SRH840 for the dorm as well; it was one of the reasons why I bought these. If you're worried about leaking noise, it will leak somewhat at a reasonable volume, but if there's a little bit of ambient noise around you, it's basically silent to everybody around you.
smily_headphones1.gif

too bad m had is filled with useless goo. I wish I have a better head including all parts on it
frown.gif

Will you be at the SF meet on Feb 27 ? hopeful I can let people who own SRH840 compare the stock vs mine (SXC or Mogami) to see the differences. my ear really sucks and untrained.

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,670 of 2,135
I am currently using SRH440 and iBasso D10 as my second headfi rig. I like it so much that I am considering upgradirng to SRH840. Two questions though:

1) Is D10 powerfull enough to drive the SRH840 to it's full potential? What about the Beresford?

2) How will you describe the differences between SRH440 and SRH840 when used with decent amp/source?

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #1,671 of 2,135
I got my SRH840's three days ago and right out of the box they sounded great. I'm burning them in with pink noise in between listening sessions and they're getting tighter every time I listen.

I bought them because I just wasn't satisfied with the sound of my HD595's out of my D2 (or anything else for that matter). The HD595's are just way too polite for my tastes. Sure there's detail but there's no body to the delivery. No balls, if you will. With the SRH840's I still get the detail (in fact I hear far more) but I also get the feeling I'm right there with the musicians. They seem to work especially well with older recordings like Year of the Cat by Al Stewart. This deceptively simple album really seems to test audio components in my experience. There's a wealth of detail in the mix and it also tests timing very well. On the HD595's it feels anaemic but on the SRH840's it comes alive.

Another album I always use to test components is Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warnes. All I can say is LUSH! It sounds absolutely superb on the Shures. Everything in the mix occupies it's own space on the soundstage and never seems to compete with other elements. As you can tell I like these a lot.

One more benefit of these cans over the HD595's - my wife toerates me in bed again, lol. They leak very little sound, especially at moderate levels. Perfect.

I'm sure there are better cans outthere but for now I'm really happy with what Im listening to right now. Having said that I've ordered a Fiio E5 to see what benefits amping can deliver. I have no prior experience with amping and so if there's an increase in quality with a £20 amp then I might be persuaded to try out something more expensive. I hear the iBassoD10 getting a lot of mentions so I might go that way but I must say I particularly like the look of the Emmeline range of amps. Who knows where in the UK I could source one of those though.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #1,674 of 2,135
The sound quality in SHR840 is IMHO great especially considering it's price tag. They are quite heavy and the headband could've been better but the ear pads are very soft comfortable.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #1,676 of 2,135
I have owned the srh840s since this past summer. While I love the sound, the things are so heavy that they create a pressure point on the top of my head. I have a pair of wireless Sonys hooked up to a TV and they are really light albeit with poor sound, but at least they never create a painful pressure point. Does anyone have this problem, and if so how did you fix it, short of buying new headphones?

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #1,677 of 2,135
I just sold my SRh 840. The sound is quite different than the HD 25 I II. The Shures really are quite a nice set.

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #1,678 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorrofox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they're getting tighter every time I listen.

Same. I got lazy about 40 hours in, and now I am just playing music through them, but I have heard a lot of change along the way.

I read a review that claimed they got better sound from one pair of cushions/pads than the other, so I tossed on the replacement pair, and they do sound less 'bassy', and more open overall. Other reviews claim that the other pads are 440 pads...which might explain that. But Im guessing they are just 840 replacements.

Either way, the replacements sound a bit better to me. And are also more comfortable. Which is huge, because I am getting occasional headaches due to clamping. Early on the clamping was downright brutal, but has eased up considerably. I dont have a big head at all, but I do suffer from sinus headaches, pressure, and allergies routinely.

I also noticed that simply pivoting the earcups toward the back ears, away from my temples, while worn, can at times make me forget they are on at all.

I am running them on an X-fi forte SC, with the integrated amp. Im not noticing any difference in running them amped or not. Certainly louder, but no SQ increase. And the integrated amp is pretty decent. More than enough to drive the 840.

Without EQ adjustments, I feel these are not terribly great for heavily distorted rock, etc. But they really shine with cleaner music. And electronic/dance just sounds phenomenal.

Pretty terrible for gaming, as many might imagine.

Very happy overall. But I am still thinking I am more of an open HP kind of guy. I heard the AD700 and was not terribly impressed given how much they are hyped. So I hope to save up for the AD900, after hoping to hear them at Can Jam.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #1,680 of 2,135
Closed in, small soundstage. ATH-AD700 and DT880 are much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back