SRH840 impression
Feb 8, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #1,652 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a D10 through it's optical/amp combination. It is indeed a great match for Shures.

I bougth the SR-840's little brother today. Needed a pair of closed cans to use when my girlfriend is tired of listening to my Grado's..

The SR-440 seemed to be a good choice for me taking price/value/isolation into consideration. Anyhow I have tested it with my iBasso D10, and does seem to be a good match. Can imagine the SR-840 sound great with this dac/amp.

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #1,653 of 2,135
I also agreed that D10 is a good match with SRH840, with optical input.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #1,654 of 2,135
I just want to say thanks to all here at Head-Fi for giving their input on these. I just got mine an hour ago as my first set of cans that I did a little research on and am enjoying them. Here's to more money being spent in the future, haha!

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #1,655 of 2,135
After reading over 100 pages of reviews/impressions, I ordered the SRH840 from Northern Light & Sound yesterday. They said there were two in stock. Mine should be here next Monday (February 15). Thanks to everyone who shared their impressions of these headphones.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #1,656 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveykz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to say thanks to all here at Head-Fi for giving their input on these. I just got mine an hour ago as my first set of cans that I did a little research on and am enjoying them. Here's to more money being spent in the future, haha!

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to head-fi!

Hopefully you feel that you made a good choice =]

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #1,657 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading over 100 pages of reviews/impressions, I ordered the SRH840

Me too. Mine came in this morning and out the box I've been very, very impressed--I haven't taken them off for a couple hours. I've been listening to a wide range of my music collection (Monk, Dina Washington, Muddy Waters, The Roots, Dre, Coltrane and the like) and, for the genres I listen to, I don't think I could have found a better pair of cans for the money I spent.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the bass extension on these.

Thanks head-fi!

Feb 10, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #1,658 of 2,135
Great, enjoy them!
They really are a nice pair of phones.

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #1,659 of 2,135
Ordered the younger brother (440) a couple days ago, snow has delayed my package.
frown.gif
Had a snowday and got a day off from school, but my headphones have been delayed.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #1,660 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think these would be great for you in this regard. I'm 6'6'' and have a noggin to match. No microphonics...

Whoa, almost missed your reply. Thanks ... and yeah I'm pretty sold on these for my lug-around fullsize cans. Once I saw the headband twisted around in a youtube vid, along with the positive impressions here, plus your post ... these are just what I need.

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #1,661 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when and where is the meet cuz I will left NYC before Feb 25, and left USA soon after that. no job, have to leave the country 2 months after graduation >_<

Sorry for the long delay, I've been a bit busy.
The NYC meet is on March 13th, so it seems to be just after your Feb 25th deadline.

I have been enjoying these Shures though, J&R's 2-week return period just ended, and I'm not feeling bad about it yet.
I've put a bit over 150 hours of pure pink-noise burn in on these, along with hours of actual music and playing TF2 with them. I'm a bit confused as to how much burn in these need, as some people simply say 100 hours, but don't say if it's 100 hours of music, or 100 hours of pink noise. Either way, I've got over 150 hours of pure pink noise on these, and probably over 200 hours of combined usage now, so they should be sufficiently burned in.

I am surprised at noticing the bass has greatly calmed down. Part of me thinks I just simply got used to them, but I feel the bass isn't as boomy as before. It's still very present, but it's not boomy and overbearing like the PX100's bass.

I brought my set over to my friend's place to compare them directly with his Sennheiser HD-580 and Grado SR-225 again, and he claimed these Shures sounded like completely different headphones (he was with me for the unboxing and initial listening.) In any case, these Shures are almost exactly what I was looking for, I think. While the Grados mids were still far too forward (especially with Jpop being inherently bright) it was painful to listen to for extended durations. The Sennheisers on the other hand, felt very laid back, and I would frequently get bored, although I have no complaints about its sound quality. It would've been my next choice if the Shures weren't suitable for me.

The SRH840's though, although they lack the air of the 580's, they were still quite good, and for me, I felt it was a good balance on the mids, where it seemed more forward than the 580's but not as aggressive as the Grados - exactly what I was looking for. It wasn't painful, but it wasn't laid back, so I could enjoy all the vocals without getting bored. I also feel these weren't sibilant at all, compared to a couple other options I tested at J&R, which really hurt my ears when the singers pronounced the "s" and "ch's".

Overall, I am really enjoying these headphones.
Thanks, guys!

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #1,662 of 2,135
I am glad you like the phone, if you hate the coil cable it looks like Shure is releasing the straight one soon. no need for re-cable anymore unless you want to try thing out. I will not be in the NYC meet but the San Francisco meet with my local friend. I regret we cannot compare re-cable vs stock together though.

personally I do not like Grado either, too forward and upshifted for not only anime song but also the hip pop that I tried in B&H.

other than recable, I stuff a ring of Mogami 2534, (anything around the size will do)in the ear-pad to push it upward that give more space for my ear to fit in the cup. it is a super low tech change you can do and tell me what you think about it

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #1,663 of 2,135
would the shure's be comfortable for a smaller head? I don't want it so that these cans are so big that they feel wobbly on my head. I plan on just keeping these headphones strictly to my dorm though, so would they be recommended or not?

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #1,664 of 2,135
I don't know how small your head is but mine is pretty big, I have to extend the headphone to the max to wear it. so I think it is fine with small head.

Cable comparison: Mogami 2534 vs ALO SXC, Internally my SRH840 is re-cabled with SXC. however due to 3.5mm jack I installed, I can change the external cable easily. I made a 3 wire braid SXC interconnect and a Mogami 2534 interconnect. both are 3 foot long ended with SwitchCraft 3.5mm. since I can not long use stock cable I cannot compare them to stock. however by switching between SXC and Mogami, the most prominent change is the mid high and high. ALO tend to have more high and make the mid brighter compare to Mogami 2534. Mogami will sound "warmer" because it is not as high emphasis while ALO is slightly crispier. So if you are interested in re-cable SRH840, this is how it will sound with Mogami vs ALO. The difference is so obvious even untrained noob with impaired ear can tell.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #1,665 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by HaiDukken! /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would the shure's be comfortable for a smaller head? I don't want it so that these cans are so big that they feel wobbly on my head. I plan on just keeping these headphones strictly to my dorm though, so would they be recommended or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how small your head is but mine is pretty big, I have to extend the headphone to the max to wear it. so I think it is fine with small head.

Holy cow Hsiu, you sure do have a melon of a head!
tongue.gif

I have a small/medium-sized head, and the most I can extend it to is to the 3rd notch. So HaiDukken!, I think you'll be fine.

And I do use the SRH840 for the dorm as well; it was one of the reasons why I bought these. If you're worried about leaking noise, it will leak somewhat at a reasonable volume, but if there's a little bit of ambient noise around you, it's basically silent to everybody around you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back