SRH840 impression
Dec 4, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #1,366 of 2,135
hello fellow srh840 owners!

i posted this on the forum but i didn't get any response so maybe i'll get lucky here. i've owned these cans for a couple of months now. they sound amazing but the comfort level on these aren't very high. the top of the headband that sits on the middle of my head puts too much pressure and causes soreness after about half an hour of listening. the band is already at its shortest setting so i don't think that's the cause of the problem

anyone else in the same situation and can offer some tips of loosening the top part of the band?

also, if anyone out there is running these out of the sansa clip, what volume level are you on? i think they're pretty hard to drive so mine are 3/4 of the way turned up. am i going deaf???

thanks!

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #1,367 of 2,135
Well goshdarnit if I didn't stumble upon this forum, do about 15 consecutive hours of reading (Sleep deprivation? Who knows....), including this entire thread....

Aaaaaand ended up purchasing these "cans" on order from Amazon, due Monday.

You folks deserve quite some credit, very convincing at "impressions" you are.

Hopefully these will be satisfying (I suspect they will, promise not to flame, but my current headphones are these: http://="http://www.alteclansing.com...duct_id=ahs502 )

My guess is that there will be some difference, and soon I shall find out.
smile_phones.gif

Anyway, keep up the good work, this is a very helpful and well run forum, kudos to the Mods, and members.

- Guthrie

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #1,368 of 2,135
You folks sure are convincing,

After stumbling upon this site, and reading around the forums for about 12 hours straight (including this entire thread start to finish), it became crystal clear that members here are hellishly good at making new equipment sound convincing and worth buying.

(- Waves goodbye to poor, dilapidated wallet - )

At least a good improvement hopefully awaits my ears, I am definitely excited to be getting these in on Monday. (Promise not to laugh, my current setup:Altec Lansing > Earphones > Earphones with Mic > AHS502

Planning on picking up an AMP (Carey? Glow? Woo? - Eh, time will tell...) sometime next year (once wallet re-inflates)

Cheers, and thank you folks for all the helpful advice. This forum is very well run, kudos to the mods, and members.

Hope to actually be able to add something to the collective brain pot soon, until then I shall keep on
smile_phones.gif
'ing

- Guthrie

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #1,370 of 2,135
Love my HD 25 I II...but I love my Shure 840 even more. I will keep the latter as they are awesome and portable.
The 840 remind me of the fit of the 280 Pro...not super comfy, but I am sure they will break in.
The sound literally is worth 1.5 times the money...if not double.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #1,371 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker3057 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone directly compared these to the beyer dt250's? I am very curious.

I was the same. I went for the beyer and I'm very hAppy with it....really under-appreciated IMO. I got the 80ohm version and it's great when I want to listen in bed to my portable CD player and sansa clip. (I leave the emu 0404 connected to the computer). I was worried about using the Shures without an amp. The beyers are fantastic with or without an amp(80 ohm, that is).

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #1,373 of 2,135
I have no problems wearing the 840. I listen all day sometimes with no issues. My 701 are more comfortable but leak. There Shure cans are so good if I already dind't own the 701 I wouldn't miss anything. Don't get rid of the Shure they are too good.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #1,374 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Shure 840s a bit better, but the Beyer dt 250 I owned were an impressive can. See my older notes.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...g-271s-128206/

Great review. I agree with a lot of what you wrote about the dt250. I prefer the akg mids also, especially with male vocals, but the beyer is awesome in it's own right...especially for jazz. I was listening to Tony Benet with a piano trio and I actually preferred the Beyers with that CD in some ways to the k240DF which I generally prefer above all others. They add some needed weight to the sound of piano and drums...and the bass is also better. I would have tried the 840's but I read they don't do well out of a portable DAP.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #1,376 of 2,135
Comfort-wise, I also found that the 840's lacked a bit. The top band makes no sense to me. It only touched the very top of my head and was subject to sliding around a lot. I am seriously thinking of getting a pair of (oft-said superior comfort-wise) Denon D2000's as replacement.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #1,377 of 2,135
Thanks for the info. I think I may be leaning towards the 840's. One thing that bugged me on testing them out was the headband made my hurt in an extremely unbearable manner. Like after wearing them for 15 mins the top of my head hurt for the rest of the day and I had a head splitting headache. I tried a brand new pair on. I would hope they would soften up after some wear. I will be wearing these for 5 to 6 hours at a time, 6 days a week, so they which ever one I choose MUST be comfortable. I have no way of trying on the Beyer's however...I really like the rest of the 840's though. They looked good, had the right weight, and even the coiled cable didn't bother me so much(that will likely change after I use them at the architecture studio though...) And the ear pads were comfy! I wouldn't mind some velour ones though.

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #1,379 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker3057 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. I think I may be leaning towards the 840's. One thing that bugged me on testing them out was the headband made my hurt in an extremely unbearable manner. Like after wearing them for 15 mins the top of my head hurt for the rest of the day and I had a head splitting headache. I tried a brand new pair on. I would hope they would soften up after some wear. I will be wearing these for 5 to 6 hours at a time, 6 days a week, so they which ever one I choose MUST be comfortable.

I'll help you avoiding the problem with your head... sell the 840 to me...
biggrin.gif

(Don't take it too seriously...
smily_headphones1.gif
... but of course I'll accept them if you offer...
biggrin.gif
)

How about adding a DIY thicker pad made from foamy PVC sheet, then cover it with stitched black clothes... it should be comfier then...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back