SRH840 impression
Oct 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #1,171 of 2,135
Just a note for Canadian-Fiers and folks wondering about the delayed availability of these, the Future Shop Eastern Distribution Centre just got their shipment of these after being delayed since August. In about a week or two, the Future Shops in Ontario should have them. Retail is $249.99, but cost is only ~$95, so if you know someone who works there or at Best Buy, get on that staff purchase train!

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #1,172 of 2,135
So after much reading I also ordered up a pair of these 840's. Ive never had headphones before so Im kind of excited.

I started with e3, then e4 and about 3 months ago I got the se530. I let them burn in but never used them. Finally last week I took a trip and popped the 530's in and didn't really like them. I loved the sound, but I think Ive grown out of the IEM feel. They just weren't as comfortable as they had been in the past as i was used to.

So I think I'm going to sell my 530's with only 4 hours on them(of "in ear" time). I don't really use ear/headphones much as it was only getting used with my ipod which is in the car most of the time anyway. Anybody interested in the 530s?

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #1,173 of 2,135
I have been a rather big fan of these SRH-840 headphones for some time but have just encountered a problem. It appears that the bass is significantly diminished if I wear glasses while listening to these 'phones. This is not the case with any of my Grado 'phones using cup pads. I have to wear my frames out of necessity as I am writing my thesis and otherwise my eyes go "buggy". But it's an undeniable fact. The bass is way more visceral and hefty without the glasses on. Has anyone else encountered this and, if so, is there any quick fix? *Fingers crossed*
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #1,174 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been a rather big fan of these SRH-840 headphones for some time but have just encountered a problem. It appears that the bass is significantly diminished if I wear glasses while listening to these 'phones. This is not the case with any of my Grado 'phones using cup pads. I have to wear my frames out of necessity as I am writing my thesis and otherwise my eyes go "buggy". But it's an undeniable fact. The bass is way more visceral and hefty without the glasses on. Has anyone else encountered this and, if so, is there any quick fix? *Fingers crossed*
smily_headphones1.gif

contact lens is the only solution

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #1,176 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
contact lens is the only solution

Well, there are also these:

7765.1N.jpg

tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #1,177 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gossling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which headphone, between the RE0, SRH840 and ES3x, reproduces acoustic instrumental and vocal music (classical, jazz, choral, classical art songs, etc.) most naturally to your ears? What qualities allow them to do this?

Thanks

Honestly, for instrumental music and vocals, I think RE0 sounds just about as enjoyable as ES3X to my ears. ES3X has great mids, but I think the crown still goes to RE0 in the treble department - I've yet to hear a headphone that bests RE0 in the treble. RE0 treble is never too bright and never too dark - it's always just right with the stock bi-flange tips IMO - and it's got tons of detail and awesome clarity! Like I said the mids are better on ES3X, but RE0 is really not that far behind at all - it still has very full, rich mids with great clarity and detail and a wetter presentation than ES3X, which are kinda dryish by comparison.

Shure SRH840 comes in last for these types of music IMO. It's still great, but it sounds a bit closed in compared to ES3X and RE0. The overall sound quality is also not quite in the same league as the other two IMO.

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #1,178 of 2,135
Hi guys, i am new here. This is my first post. I aimed at ad900 as my target before. However i may looking at srh840 as it is more convenient to carry around and the accessories is tempted to me. However how is the srh840 sounds compare to ad900? i know that one is open and another one is closed back. I aspect srh840 soundstage and airy feel will not as good as ad900. How about other such as, comfort, high, mid and low? I just hope that anyone who try these two headphone can give me some idea how different they are. Thanks for the chip in.
beyersmile.png

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #1,179 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Weird, I don't have this problem.

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #1,180 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a note for Canadian-Fiers and folks wondering about the delayed availability of these, the Future Shop Eastern Distribution Centre just got their shipment of these after being delayed since August. In about a week or two, the Future Shops in Ontario should have them. Retail is $249.99, but cost is only ~$95, so if you know someone who works there or at Best Buy, get on that staff purchase train!

The shipment was distributed faster than I thought as most stores got them Tuesday morning.

Almost every Future Shop in the GTA will now be carrying them.

Also, after picking them up yesterday, I must say that I quite enjoy them out of the box. They're not jaw dropping or anything, but perform admirably with guitars and violin. Detail is very notable as well, almost a little bothering with recordings from Toumani Diabate as you can hear his string plucking shoot out and stab your brain. For the price, you definitely cannot go wrong. I'll make another note if I hear any difference after a thorough burn in.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #1,182 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shipment was distributed faster than I thought as most stores got them Tuesday morning.

Almost every Future Shop in the GTA will now be carrying them.

Also, after picking them up yesterday, I must say that I quite enjoy them out of the box. They're not jaw dropping or anything, but perform admirably with guitars and violin. Detail is very notable as well, almost a little bothering with recordings from Toumani Diabate as you can hear his string plucking shoot out and stab your brain. For the price, you definitely cannot go wrong. I'll make another note if I hear any difference after a thorough burn in.

Will the future shop in B.C carry them soon? Also, how much did they cost there? Thank you.
happy_face1.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #1,183 of 2,135
Looks like I'm yet another one that will be selling my se530s for the 840s. The IEM thing is just not for me I think. I've been using the 530s in the office and on the plane for a few months but I just can't get used to the IEM. "It's just not the same"... From what I've been reading, it looks like the SRH840s will be perfect for use in the office and while traveling.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #1,184 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, i am new here. This is my first post. I aimed at ad900 as my target before. However i may looking at srh840 as it is more convenient to carry around and the accessories is tempted to me. However how is the srh840 sounds compare to ad900? i know that one is open and another one is closed back. I aspect srh840 soundstage and airy feel will not as good as ad900. How about other such as, comfort, high, mid and low? I just hope that anyone who try these two headphone can give me some idea how different they are. Thanks for the chip in.
beyersmile.png

Anyone can answer my question.
frown.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #1,185 of 2,135
Just ordered mine. Should be here on Friday. Thank You 3.99 overnight shipping from Amazon
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back