SRH840 impression
Oct 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #1,081 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the '81 version best, it's has a slower, more mature pase.. The first version from the 50's debut album is good as well, but faster, less coherent as a whole IMHO and the SQ isn't swell.. Gould wasn't involved as producer in those early days..

He did humm along, his mother learnt him to do that and he felt he played less when he didn't.. It bothers some people, but I don't mind but thats personal I guess..

He was extreme introvert, some say autistic, but all that doesn't matter, his interpretations are very interesting, his tecnique one of the best ever and a touche I really love.. Some purist take offence to the fact he wasn't always faithful to the score.

You should try the Goldberg '81 version, make sure you have the analoge version, not the digital..

This is a great buy

Amazon.com: A State of Wonder: The Complete Goldberg Variations (1955 & 1981): Johann Sebastian Bach, Glenn Gould, Tim Page: Music

and has a great interview CD with Tim Page
The whole interview is written/scripted by Gould, but don't let that scare you
biggrin.gif

Best music ever!!! IMHO of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks so much for this! And it also turns out that he was a Canadian, as am I. I'm not a raving patriot, but that does add something to the mythology. (I just read the whole Wikipedia entry and am very intrigued with the music and the man behind it.) Also cool to hear that another humming pianist was Oscar Peterson (also Canadian and fantastic at jazz piano) and that Bill Evans recorded his seminal "Conversations With Myself" using Gould's piano. Seriously look into Evans' work. Another eccentric that had a peculiar playing style. He would slump forward with his arms fully extended when he played, obviously seeing very little of the keyboard. Very cool trio jazz indeed...

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #1,083 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok your preferences sound similar to mine. except for the 325
biggrin.gif
Do you use the stock bowls on your 325is?

Yes, I use the regular stock bowls. I have used both comfies and reverse quarter-modded HD414 pads with them in the past, but dislike how the treble is muffled and the soundstage is compressed, respectively. I'm aware that you don't like the 325's, especially due to the over-powering highs that many others are wary of. I have never experienced this. It is likely due to the fact that I like a bit of bass "slam" with my music and the 325is's amply deliver, both allowing me to avoid increasing the overall volume and somehow bringing my attentions more often to the lows and mid's than the top end of the spectrum. I also use a hybrid tube amp and this warms up the signature a bit. I may be one of the lucky ones that got a particularly dark 325, as well. Compared to my 225's (long sold) they are both bassier and smoother in the highs. Weird, and something to be glad about! I have a feeling that the 225's were rather old (I bought them used) and were past their peak, if that is even possible.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #1,084 of 2,135
very interesting that your 325s are smoother than 225s. Nice! In all fairness, the 325is i heard were not burned in.
By the way, I heard some ms2is using comfies and I really loved the sound
biggrin.gif
Think of the ms1 on steroids... tighter sounding without some of the plasticky midrange colorations of the ms1. It was very musical but then again I only listened to 2 songs on them. They were nice enough though that now I'm anxiously waiting for the newest ms2i revision to come out.

Hehehe sorry for derailing the thread into Grado Land!

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #1,085 of 2,135
Yeah... me too! I almost pulled the trigger on the MS-2i, but figured there would be a marked upgrade within the next year or so, so went for the 325is instead. Truthfully, they did improve over +100 hours burn in, and have since smoothed out in a very pleasing way. Now that Grado has finished with the HF-2 backlog, I expect they will have more time to explore these other models. Here's to hoping "MS-2ii" is next!

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #1,086 of 2,135
Hey guys, i am fairly new to the site and as you can see it's my very first post.
After reading a few pages off this thread I was impressed by the amount of positive feedback given on these phones. However, I was just wondering what site will be the cheapest to buy these off of? I checked amazon ($158 not sure about shipping) and ebay ($200 includes shipping). I'm just wondering if there were any cheaper solutions.
Thanks.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #1,087 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeewee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, i am fairly new to the site and as you can see it's my very first post.
After reading a few pages off this thread I was impressed by the amount of positive feedback given on these phones. However, I was just wondering what site will be the cheapest to buy these off of? I checked amazon ($158 not sure about shipping) and ebay ($200 includes shipping). I'm just wondering if there were any cheaper solutions.
Thanks.

Many other headphones received the same amount if not more "positive feedback".
wink.gif
Some turned out to be great, some didn't. Just a hint.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #1,088 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks so much for this! And it also turns out that he was a Canadian, as am I. I'm not a raving patriot, but that does add something to the mythology. (I just read the whole Wikipedia entry and am very intrigued with the music and the man behind it.) Also cool to hear that another humming pianist was Oscar Peterson (also Canadian and fantastic at jazz piano) and that Bill Evans recorded his seminal "Conversations With Myself" using Gould's piano. Seriously look into Evans' work. Another eccentric that had a peculiar playing style. He would slump forward with his arms fully extended when he played, obviously seeing very little of the keyboard. Very cool trio jazz indeed...

I got hooked on Evans after I bought The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings 1961..

Gould also encountered in some (counterpoint) radio documentaries about the solitude of the North.. Interesting and original stuff..

I know of one great Canadian musician who isn't very well known, Lenny Breau, if you like jazz gitar, check him out!

Cheers.

YouTube - Goldberg Variations 8-14

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #1,089 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got hooked on Evans after I bought The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings 1961..

My personal all time favorite album!
o2smile.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #1,092 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeewee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.

If you read the thread in its entirety, you'd find several phone numbers and links to retailers who have these for under $130.

There's a number on the page previous to this.

Just saying.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #1,093 of 2,135
how do these compared to SE530? SE530 is the only shure I own & notice SRH840 is much cheaper but not an IEM. So, are they any similar in sonic signature? how do they compare?

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #1,095 of 2,135
I feel that SE530's and SRH840's are similar in general signature, both are smooth and bit on the warm side, and offer good clarity. I would say that the bass is similar to the SE530's with the yellow foams/double flanges as well (not olives, as they bloat the bass). However, there are key differences; biggest difference is in mids and highs; the 840 mids are not as creamy as they have that slight upper mid peak and at times feel lacking in the lower mids area (whereas 530's have better balance of the two). Highs aren't even close; the 840's extend far better and sparkles more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back