SRH840 impression
Aug 18, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #751 of 2,135
hd650 is better IMO but I can see where many might prefer the 840s. Its time someone gets these 840s off my hands because I don't appreciate them enough
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #752 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650, there's really no contest. Not to take away from the SRH840 or anything (and it's not much of a fair comparison), but I personally don't think Shure wins in any areas head to head besides isolation.

It is extremely unfair to compare a set of closed backs that cost $200 new from shure as well as on amazon, to a pair of open back cans that are around $330 on amazon, near 600$ direct. The 650s are literally 3x as expensive >.> You can't get more unfair than that, lol.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #753 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
840 for mp3 player w/ amp or w/out still sounds nice, home computer use, cdplayer/stereo

650 for audiophile stereo and rig up with excellent amp, gaming

650 wins for true sound, 840 wins for rocking out

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
srh840 only wins if u compare them unamped

my 580 scales like crazy with source/amp.. every upgrade i do i can just hear them getting better

the srh840, not so much... dont think they benefit from amping as much

These are very good answers. The HD650 will sound awful from an iPod; the 840 do pretty well from an iPod. The 650's with a nice tube amp are awesome; the 840's aren't really tube-amp friendly. And the 840's sound pretty open for closed cans, but the 650's image better.

Of course, the 840's are half the price...

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #755 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650, there's really no contest. Not to take away from the SRH840 or anything (and it's not much of a fair comparison), but I personally don't think Shure wins in any areas head to head besides isolation.

Meh, based on my memory I wouldn't call it totally unfair. I prefer the forwardness of the Shure mids, as well as the fact that it's a little quicker and cleaner with transients.

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #756 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh, based on my memory I wouldn't call it totally unfair. I prefer the forwardness of the Shure mids, as well as the fact that it's a little quicker and cleaner with transients.

I really doubt that the SRH840 is quicker than a well-amped HD650. It just happens to take a lot of power to amp the HD650s well. The Shure mids are definitely more forward though.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #757 of 2,135
Hey there, I can see that almost all of you seem to be really enjoying your srh840's, but how do they compare to the Denon D2000's? Sound performance (distinct qualities/sounds stressed)? Engaging/fun? Playful/analytical? I know that the Denon's are better in terms of comfort, but it seems like these have definitely won over many of you in terms of sound.

By the way, these headphones will be mainly used unamped.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #758 of 2,135
While I like many other headphones over SRH840, I can say it is definitely better than D2000. It is more resolving during complex passage, mid on SRH840 is certainly better than D2000(more neutral and less recessed), bass is better control and high is less sibilant than D2000.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #759 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are very good answers. The HD650 will sound awful from an iPod; the 840 do pretty well from an iPod. The 650's with a nice tube amp are awesome; the 840's aren't really tube-amp friendly. And the 840's sound pretty open for closed cans, but the 650's image better.

I've heard a lot about the 840's being a bad match for tubes. That said, with my hybrid Little Dot 1+, they positively shine. Probably because of the solid-state power converter (vs. the tube driving that follows--correct my poor terminology, please!). So there you have it: An ideal (IMHO) setup for both a Grado and a closed can that's afraid of a "pure" tube rig. Pretty happy about this. (Thanks for the amp, twylight!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #761 of 2,135
Depends on the "configuration" of the LD1+
smily_headphones1.gif
But I think that they're not such a bad match as well.. They're not as fast, but rather liven up a bit and get that mid-frequency action going.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #762 of 2,135
after some extensive listening tonight.. i think i prefer the hd580's sound w/ my setup

i do really like the srh840, i just wish they scaled as well as the senns... it just feels like the srh840 isn't benefiting from my setup.. and that's the only place i listen to them.. contemplating selling them for maybe d5000 or 990 pro but nothing certain yet

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #763 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard a lot about the 840's being a bad match for tubes. That said, with my hybrid Little Dot 1+, they positively shine. Probably because of the solid-state power converter (vs. the tube driving that follows--correct my poor terminology, please!). So there you have it: An ideal (IMHO) setup for both a Grado and a closed can that's afraid of a "pure" tube rig. Pretty happy about this. (Thanks for the amp, twylight!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Yep - with a hybrid amp, the 840's could indeed work well (I don't have any hybrids on hand at the moment). The 840's are pretty low impedance, so many tube amps with a high-ish output impedance will not be a good match. And also being closed and pretty revealing will mean that any tube noise or hum will be very audible.

One thing I have always valued about closed that have decent isolation, which many people seem to overlook, is that you can get a lot more musical detail when there is not a lot of environmental background noise drowning it out. If you use an open can in a room with HVAC, and a computer with it's fan running, a closed can will allow details to come through that an open can may not
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #764 of 2,135
Yeah, my EF1 is definitely a decent match, and apparently it's great for most of the lower impedence stuff (Denons & Grados)... so not a surprise.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #765 of 2,135
How do these compare in sound quality / durability portability/ comfort / etc to the AKG 271mkII ? They are around the same price without any sales or what not. So I think this would be a good comparison? Are these better for unamped sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back