SRH840 impression
Aug 19, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #766 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobious12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do these compare in sound quality / durability portability/ comfort / etc to the AKG 271mkII ? They are around the same price without any sales or what not. So I think this would be a good comparison? Are these better for unamped sound?

Can't comment on the sound "quality" but the 271s did sound much more flat and sterile, from what I can remember. The 271s are beasts to drive. Even some portable amps can't handle them.
Both are comfortable headphones, but the AKG's are lighter. Both are circumaural, at least to me. The 840s isolate slightly better.
Umm.. I didn't like the AKG's too much with the music I listen to, nor do I "love" the Shures though being a great bang for the money spent..

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #767 of 2,135
*phew* Exhausting thread, but rich with good info. I'm new here and looking to step up my audio experience. I know there are lots of these "tell me what to buy" posts but you guys are knowledgable so I'd be silly not to try and tap into that for advice before making a purchase.

In this thread, lots of folks have asked about a comparison to the ATH-M50 but strangely I don't think I saw a solid reply. My apologies if I overlooked it.

Basically I'm looking at the SRH840, the HFI-580 and ATH-M50. All roughly in the same price range, but is there a consensus about which is best for usage outside of mixing/studio applications?

At first I'll be listening to these straight out of an iPod classic or my PC's XFI sound card. If needed, I'll purchase a portable headphone amp [recommendations welcome] with USB DAC to drive these in both scenarios, but I may not use it on the go.

I listen to podcasts, acoustic, jazz, and rock. I like a solid, clean bass but I'm not a rumbling bass-head guy. Comfort is a good thing of course, and looks are secondary. I really enjoy nice clean separation and wide soundstage that makes the music come alive.

I throw myself on the mercy of the board. Thanks for all the great help so far just through the previous posts. Head-fi is addictive!

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #768 of 2,135
Mmm... Talisker 18YO mmm... oh, shure? Oh okay, cool headphones. Mmm... Talisker mmm...

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #769 of 2,135
Talisker 18 is pretty hard to beat
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #770 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamatfu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*phew* Exhausting thread, but rich with good info. I'm new here and looking to step up my audio experience. I know there are lots of these "tell me what to buy" posts but you guys are knowledgable so I'd be silly not to try and tap into that for advice before making a purchase.

In this thread, lots of folks have asked about a comparison to the ATH-M50 but strangely I don't think I saw a solid reply. My apologies if I overlooked it.

Basically I'm looking at the SRH840, the HFI-580 and ATH-M50. All roughly in the same price range, but is there a consensus about which is best for usage outside of mixing/studio applications?

At first I'll be listening to these straight out of an iPod classic or my PC's XFI sound card. If needed, I'll purchase a portable headphone amp [recommendations welcome] with USB DAC to drive these in both scenarios, but I may not use it on the go.

I listen to podcasts, acoustic, jazz, and rock. I like a solid, clean bass but I'm not a rumbling bass-head guy. Comfort is a good thing of course, and looks are secondary. I really enjoy nice clean separation and wide soundstage that makes the music come alive.

I throw myself on the mercy of the board. Thanks for all the great help so far just through the previous posts. Head-fi is addictive!

I haven't heard the HFI-580 or ATH-M50, but I would definitely recommend the SRH840 for your situation. Most importantly, these do not require an amp to sound amazing. It sounds really great out of my Fuze already, the difference is subtle when plugged into my rig. Also, the bass is very clean/solid.. not rumbling or boomy at all. Separation and soundstage is good for a closed headphone, but due to design, they obviously can't compare to some better open headphones.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #772 of 2,135
Compared to the AD700's it has a much more upfront presentation and IMO beats it clearly in the mids and the bass area. They sparkle about the same amount in treble. It also does better detailing overall I feel, and obviously wins in the isolation category. But being closed, these are no matches to AD700's soundstaging and positioning, which is one of the best around to begin with. AD700 IMO wins in the comfort department as well, though this will depend on how large your head is.

It depends on what you are looking for, really, but personally for music I give the edge to the SRH840's.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #773 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamatfu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My apologies, too. I haven't waded through the whole thread, but I've read an awful lot of it. Still, it appears no one has compared the 840's to the ath m50? FWIR they would be quite similar.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #774 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinez33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So anyone want to compare these to Sennheiser HD555 or Audio Technica ATH-AD700? Considering buying some open phones and was just wondering.

The Shure's are closed headphones... so there will be obvious differences due to design.

I haven't heard the HD555, but I have owned the AD700 in the past. Long story short, the AD700's have no bass and music sounded lifeless to me. They are very bright/sibiliant to my ears, sounded harsh and caused fatigue.

The SRH840's presentation is much better... although it lacks the soundstage and airy feeling of the AD700's. It makes up for it in everything else, especially bass. It's so clean/tight with great extension. Music is much more fun and enjoyable listening to the SRH840's.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #775 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinez33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So anyone want to compare these to Sennheiser HD555 or Audio Technica ATH-AD700? Considering buying some open phones and was just wondering.

I have not heard the AD700 but I've owned and loved my HD555s for several years. I also have not yet fully burned in my new SRH840s (closing on 20 hours), so the audio performance may have not completely matured yet.

The most obvious difference is comfort level (555s are way more comfortable), and the isolation - the SRH840s of course win in this respect.

To my ear the SRH840s are slightly less neutral than the 555s, the bass has more punch to it but at the same time is a little faster, but honestly it's a fun contrast - they seem to complement each other well. The soundstage does seem a little less robust (one poster in this thread put it well that the 840s sound like you're in a sphere, while I've always found the 555s to be much more airy), but compared to other closed headphones I've tried I am very impressed with the 840s' soundstage.

Of the two, for music I think I already prefer the 840s - although this may change after full burn in and the "newness" novelty factor wears off - but for games and movies the superior positioning in the 555s make them the clear choice for me.

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #777 of 2,135
Just got my 840s and my initial response has been "Wow!" haha. I'm very impressed. Right now they seem like a dt880, with a little more bass (there's a certain mid bass frequency area that seems a bit bloated, but it isn't a large portion of the lower frequencies so it isn't as bothersome to me as some people say it is. Plus it's supposed to tighten up...we'll see what happens.), non-recessed mids, not as bright highs, and a little less soundstage.

It seems very balanced to me even fresh out of the box. The detail is pretty darn impressive so far. I'm able to hear the clicks of guitar picks in songs where only my dt880 '03 and stax SRS-2050II had done the same. The soundstage is actually pretty impressive too since I knew they were closed cans, I came into it thinking it'd feel very up front and anti-spacious. I was totally wrong though. Along with the detail came a surprisingly decent soundstage although it seems more wide than deep. This is why I compared them to the dt880's which also seemed to have a wide rather than deep sound stage.

Comfort at first was kind of cruddy. I think the headband isn't that soft....but after wearing it for about 15 minutes I got used to it and basically forgot they were on my head like many people have already said.

So far I'm very satisfied and can't wait to see how these evolve with burn in. One complaint though. I agree with everyone saying the plug sucks. I don't see why you'd use a 2.5mm plug with a proprietary locking mechanism (correct me if i'm wrong. I've never seen a locking plug like this before though). Plus if you can shave down the housing of a new 2.5mm plug...gosh the jack is so far up in the headphone it's ridiculous. So much for easily replaceable cable. Shure must have been feeling greedy only wanting people to buy their cables haha.

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #779 of 2,135
Before these, d2000s were my favorite. Most fun I'd ever had listening to music. However I always yearned for better mids, more controlled bass, better detail, and more soundstage, all while retaining life and not being too cold.

This is what I feel I got with the srh840. If someone put both headphones in front of me and said I could have one for free, i'd take the srh840.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back