SRH840 impression
Aug 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #721 of 2,135
Bahhh
I decided this weekend I would buy these from NSL for their RIDICULOUS low price of 116.85$ but by the time I did it today it's backordered till the END of October.

Oh well, I can wait I suppose... I can use the money I saved to maybe build the Starving Student amp ...

frown.gif

I wantz it naaaoooo

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #723 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ wow, even end of September would be horribly long but OCTOBER? that's ridiculous...

Yeah.. luckily I have really nice speakers from Swan to listen to in the meantime... but when my roomies need quite time I have no choice but to listen to my Bose OE that I bought back in the day.
triportsad.gif

I at least had some UE IEMS but the jack broke on those this summer prompting my ultimate dive into audiophilia hahah.

My wallet is crying
ph34r.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #726 of 2,135
I heard the 840 this morning. It was NOT new out of the box.

Honestly, I didn't like it all that much. Yes, it had a smooth sound, but I thought it sounded slightly muffled. I actually thought it was too smooth.

I didn't like the bass presentation, but I couldn't put my finger on what exactly bothered me about it. Maybe I'm just used to to semi-open headphones. The 840 most definitely sound like closed headphones.

I'm glad I got to try them before buying as I was seriously considering buying a pair. They are definitely off my "to-buy" list now.

Sorry I can't give a more detailed description, but I had a limited time with them and was not able to compare them to other headphones.

I definitely prefer the Denon line, and the ATH-AD900, to the Shure 840.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #728 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
B; Take a dremel to the hole and file the locking threads.
confused_face(1).gif

What I did was to take the body of a 2.5 mm plug and grind off the two sides to make flats (which fit through the first profile of the jack). The bits of flange left on the plug work as a bayonet (more or less, I'm not completely satisfied with this yet) in the inner part of the jack. Then, I rebuilt the case of the plug with a bit of jacket from the cable and about three layers of shrink. I should have potted the thing with epoxy for more strength, but what the heck. I kind of knew I'd be taking another stab at it sooner or later.

One tricky part is making sure that the plug is skinny enough at the threaded area to fit inside of the boss that makes the bayonet lock. That doesn't leave much overlap for your shrink "case". Then, I think the threaded part of the body that wasn't cut away is really just gripping the boss instead of letting the flange slip underneath. So, I'm going to grind away some more of about a quarter-diameter of the threaded part of the plug just above the flange sometime to see if I can improve matters. It should then bayonet properly.

As it is, it works fine while I'm wearing the cans, but it always seems when I first pick them up, I have to fiddle the connector a little.

Alternatively, you could just grind down the diameter of the hole plug, leaving it round but completely thread-less until the whole affair fits in and then add shrink over tefllon tape or something until you get the outer dimension of the case to be a slight friction fit in the outer bezel of the jack.

Mostly, I'm just happy they used more or less a standard connector. Even though this is a little hassle, it beats the heck out of trying to fabricate some sort of proprietary connector.

-Carl

BTW, I have more time on my set now and the overbearing bass is learning better manners. I'm having a lot of fun with these phones.

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #729 of 2,135
My 840s are now for trade/sale
biggrin.gif
After about 150 hours burn in, they are just not doing it for me. Burn in differences on these cans werent really big to me actually and I am a big burn in believer.

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #730 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 840s are now for trade/sale
biggrin.gif
After about 150 hours burn in, they are just not doing it for me. Burn in differences on these cans werent really big to me actually and I am a big burn in believer.

Wow. To me it's not even a matter of belief.. And these phones have been one of the liveliest ones burn-in wise during the first 100 hours next to AD2000s. Very interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

They still sound like "observing headphones" with not overly engaging sound but rather laid back, smooth, detailed with very good instrument separation but lack attack, transient-response and musicality overall.. Bass is still a bit over accentuated at times. I still prefer them hugely over my HD25-1s, so I'll be keeping them as portables even though they're humongous.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #732 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. To me it's not even a matter of belief.. And these phones have been one of the liveliest ones burn-in wise during the first 100 hours next to AD2000s. Very interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

They still sound like "observing headphones" with not overly engaging sound but rather laid back, smooth, detailed with very good instrument separation but lack attack, transient-response and musicality overall.. Bass is still a bit over accentuated at times. I still prefer them hugely over my HD25-1s, so I'll be keeping them as portables even though they're humongous.
smily_headphones1.gif

AD2000s didn't change much to me either during burn in. If you want to hear a real transformation, try hd555s. They literally turn from worse than ibuds to better than grado 325s to me
regular_smile .gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #733 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD2000s didn't change much to me either during burn in. If you want to hear a real transformation, try hd555s. They literally turn from worse than ibuds to better than grado 325s to me
regular_smile .gif

Sennheisers in general are said to get better with age but I still don't fancy their performance (I have experience with HD600/580s).. Didn't happen with HD25's, I just got bored of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #734 of 2,135
Just a quick note thanking this thread for directing me to the 840s. After burn, I love 'em. Sound VERY similar to my se530s, just a bit more substantial. FWIW, I am running them off of my sr-71a. Here is a quick pic I grabbed:
rsa.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back