SRH840 impression
Aug 10, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #602 of 2,135
Tried out the SRH840 for about 2 weeks, but found that they're not particularly comfortable for extended use. They're more like supra-aural rather than circumaural (for my ears at least!). As such, the heat and moisture generated by compression against my ears meant that I couldn't leave them on for more than 45 minutes at a time. The headband also tends to place pressure at a single point at the top of the cranium, which in itself adds to the overall discomfort. As a point of comparison, I find the DT770 (pro and consumer versions) to be far more comfortable.

Although the sound produced by these cans is certainly enjoyable (particularly for electronic music), in my opinion the soundstage is not as wide as I've heard in other headphones, including the DT770 cans mentioned above.

Overall a great purchase at this price point, but not quite my cup of tea.

J&R should have an Open Box SRH840 listed soon...

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #605 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahahaha I knew it! I told you I was waiting for the 840 unboxing

Damn you
biggrin.gif
i have not choice
popcorn.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #606 of 2,135
You should have kept the 440 for comparison
biggrin.gif
The 840s are supposedly crappier out of the box I hear and improve more with burn in I read somewhere... but then again so many peoples opinions are so different its hard to tell who to believe
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #607 of 2,135
Quote:

You should have kept the 440 for comparison
biggrin.gif
The 840s are supposedly crappier out of the box I hear and improve more with burn in I read somewhere... but then again so many peoples opinions are so different its hard to tell who to believe
biggrin.gif

True you never know what to expect until you hear for yourself. but i hope they have better bass.. ill compare them to the Ahd2000.
i couldnt keep the 440 because im doing an exchange.. they are not bad for the price but i wanted more bass.

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #609 of 2,135
Quote:

how did you like the 440 vs the d2000?

The bass was better on the d2k, they dont really compare. sound quality and comfort is better on the d2k's.. but i think the best competitors will be the 840's.

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #610 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely worth the trouble. I travel a lot for work and have been incredibly pleased to have these along with me the last few weeks, and they sound really good out of my portable setup (and even straight out of my laptop).

But has anyone compared them directly?
I mean, I do love the ew9s for SQ and portability.

How big are the 840? DT770/D2000 big?

cheers

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #611 of 2,135
Skylab and others - How is the bass quantity/extension compared to the DT990/600 or even the DT990/250?

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #612 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely worth the trouble. I travel a lot for work and have been incredibly pleased to have these along with me the last few weeks, and they sound really good out of my portable setup (and even straight out of my laptop).

I also use mine portably from time to time. Out of my laptop they sounded really clean, the bass sounded very polite. Once I amped, they really started to shine. My N95 trying to drive these without an amp = fail. Even with my iBasso @ full + high gain it only sounded OK... But that's my portable rig and not the phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #613 of 2,135
has anyone tried these with the Nuforce Icon Mobile? I don't plan to use these portably, but I would pack something that small and light if I were traveling for an extended period of time.

At home, I plan to drive them with a Marantz integrated that has a pretty solid headphone output. But, its not hooked up to my macbook, so if I need to use a portable amp around the house, I'd like to start considering my options.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #614 of 2,135
I asked Northern Light & Sound for a price quote on the 840's and they gave me a price of $116.85. Good for 15 days from today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back