SRH840 impression
Aug 9, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #571 of 2,135
NOTE FOR CANADIANS:

Future Shop and Best Buy Canada will be carrying the SRH series soon as they have just entered the inventory systems.

The 840 will retail for $249.99 CAN and staff discount prices will be very worth the trouble if you have a friend in retail.

I estimate by the end of the month they will be carrying them in stores.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #572 of 2,135
Ouch, brutal retail price, but expected from FS or any other retailers here. But as it's been said, you'll get a good deal out of it if you know someone who works there who can do the staff discount which is cost + 10% or something I believe?

Surprised that they have indeed decided to carry the 840's though... I didn't think they would.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #573 of 2,135
I'm still surprised the Apple Store doesn't carry them yet.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #574 of 2,135
why would anyone buy from "bestbuy"? plus pay taxes? lol no thanks.

you need to check online first, if you see them at apple store online then they should be at the stores.

I have not seen any pics here so i found this taken by "the-jude" flickr.

352846532540990650dfo.jpg

Very nice :)

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #575 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would anyone buy from "bestbuy"? plus pay taxes? lol no thanks.

That's why he mentioned the "If you know a friend who work in retail" part. At places like Best Buy/Future Shop, the employee discount is something like the cost of the headphone (to the store) + 10%. Based on how low some of the online retailers went on these earlier on, I'm guessing the cost of these headphones to the retailers is probably around $100-120 mark, so if you get someone to do the employee discount you'll be able to get it very cheaply.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #577 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch, brutal retail price, but expected from FS or any other retailers here. But as it's been said, you'll get a good deal out of it if you know someone who works there who can do the staff discount which is cost + 10% or something I believe?

Surprised that they have indeed decided to carry the 840's though... I didn't think they would.

Yup, which brings the total to $102.30 CAN on staff for the 840s!

On a side note in regards to your last comment, they used to carry the full Senn line up too; HD600 and HD650 included.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #578 of 2,135
Damn, that's sweet! You'll be getting them at an absolute steal. Hope you'll get to have it soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #580 of 2,135
I've had the 840s for about week now. Here's what I think I know so far:

The first hour out of the box is pretty scary. Mechanical, congested - not a pretty picture. I think they start breaking in pretty fast, but they went in a picnic cooler with a bath towel for a while.

After about 48 hours in the cooler, they sounded like different cans. Quite punchy, a little rise in the mid treble and engaging but discombobulated bass. Bass sounded like it was from a different pair of 'phones. Very disconnected from the rest of the spectrum. Back in the cooler.

After 72 hours, things had smoothed out a lot. Now there was a bump in the bass that imparted a "one-note" effect, but it was obvious that things were still a-changin'. They had become enjoyable cans. (They sounded much better through my Woo 6 SE's high impedance outputs than through the low impedance jacks, BTW. I guess when Jack says the low jacks are for 32 Ohms or less he means 32, not 44) Midrange resolution and timbre were good, but sometimes the midrange seemed recessed. I didn't buy them to use on my home rig though. It's not fair to expect them to be reference-level phones and they're not likely going to be.

I bought them to use with my portable rig. So, they went there next. On my iPod and RSA Tomahawk they sound right at home. In this context, they are immediately engaging. Resolution across the band is very good, there's lots of bass, reasonably tight and with good impact, and the midrange generally sounds about right. Mid treble is a bit hot sometimes, but upper treble seems a bit rolled off. I do not find them bright, though. I can't abide bright and these cans present no problem in that area.

On some material, the rising top and bottom still make the mids sound recessed. But most of the time, it makes for a "fun" listen, good for most blues and rock, and for me anyway, small group jazz came off very nicely.

Shure says these cans are intended for the home studio pro/semi-pro market (although I would certainly look at the flatter 440 instead of the consumer-oriented 840 for that use.) Some features caught my eye as being right on point for pro use - the headband that's padded on all sides, for example. These cans are quite comfy when pulled down around your neck. And the top of them won't tear stuff up.

The coiled cord would be great plugged into a board or computer or camera at work. But at home or on the portable rig, it's a pain in the neck. So shortly after it snapped back and hit a sensitive part of my body (Thumbnail.
biggrin.gif
What were you thinking?) I made up a straight cable from some Mogami Mini-Quad that I had on hand. Much easier to live with. (And thanks to Shure for using a more-or less standard plug on the cord!)

With the Mogani cable, both bass and treble smoothed out some more. Midrange is now just about right on and rarely sounds recessed at all. But the bass is huge. Probably too huge. Giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other. So I guess the hunt will be on to find wire that really does the deed. And while we're in Tweak Land, the more neutral 440s with 840 ear pads might very well be worth investigation.

The cliche "spouse test": My wife stopped on her way out of the room for a few-seconds listen. About twenty minutes later, she handed the portable rig back and declared the 840's "pretty sweet". So, I guess overdone bass possibly not withstanding, they're keepers.

-Carl

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #581 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, which brings the total to $102.30 CAN on staff for the 840s!

On a side note in regards to your last comment, they used to carry the full Senn line up too; HD600 and HD650 included.

How do you know the cost price for the SRH840 at FS/BB? It most likely costs them a different amount than it does for US vendors. I seriously doubt you can get that price. The least I've ever seen for employee discounts at both of those stores is around 40% off retail.

Also, the HD600/HD650 were online-only items, which could not be discounted even for employees.

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #582 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know the cost price for the SRH840 at FS/BB? It most likely costs them a different amount than it does for US vendors. I seriously doubt you can get that price. The least I've ever seen for employee discounts at both of those stores is around 40% off retail.

Also, the HD600/HD650 were online-only items, which could not be discounted even for employees.

It's my job to know.
wink.gif

Best Buy US will no doubt have a similar cost price, but current cost listing for the 840 is just shy of $93 and plus the 10% for staff price is ~$103! The only restrictions on staff purchasing are for high demand promotional items (such as boxing week promotions and other door crashers) and from time to time the company artificially raises cost listings on items that are being mass staff purchased. Cost on the SE530s was about ~$200 and the cost on the HD600 was just shy of $400, if I remember correctly. Several larger A+ stores were indeed carrying them in store until they went clearance in which case they were pushed for ridiculous prices out of the stores and the warehouse stock was being pushed online where they actually dropped to quite a decent price at the time.

Regardless, staff purchasing is +10% on cost; whether you believe it or not, that's left up to you!

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #583 of 2,135
Good impressions carlseibert. They somewhat reflect mine. I remember saying something about them not sounding linear or coherent; Your version is more thoroughly explicited. Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #584 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what i understand the 840s are better then akg701

SRH840s are pretty nice for ~$150, but they are certainly not on the level of HD650/K701/DT880

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #585 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SRH840s are pretty nice for ~$150, but they are certainly not on the level of HD650/K701/DT880

I agree. They are great for even $200, and they are very nice sounding for relatively inexpensive closed cans. They have the nice "feature" of not sounding closed. And I do think they sound very good. But while neither the HD650 or K701 were my cup of tea exactly, those three open cans are all better than the 840, no doubt.

But that doesn't take away from the 840 - they are terrific closed cans that will be part of my travel kit for a long time to come, I bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back