SRH840 impression
Aug 5, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #511 of 2,135
I got J&R to price match to RMC last night on the phone ($129.00, free shipping). I rattled off the complete link to RMC showing the $129 price, but I don't think the guy entered it. He dropped off the phone for about 5 seconds, then came back and said they would match it. I got shipping/invoice confirmation of this as well.

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #512 of 2,135
I don't mind waiting till September to get mine from RMC. I'll forget about them and they will suddenly appear. Christmas in September!
icon10.gif

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #513 of 2,135
It's more than obvious that RMC was violating their terms with Shure by advertising them for 129.99. They were doing us a favor, and we were able to get them for a low price. It's highly likely that JR was the company who snitched RMC out to Shure, looking at all the customers on here who tried to pricematch.

When a company's breaking the rules by giving customers an unheard of price break, can we not spoil it? Please don't send out any RMC invoices to JR. JR doesn't need an invoice to price match. They need it to rat out RMC.

We are the reason why RMC can't offer that low price anymore. We are the reason why JR is now charging more for that item. Please be smart, people.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #514 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got J&R to price match to RMC last night on the phone ($129.00, free shipping). I rattled off the complete link to RMC showing the $129 price, but I don't think the guy entered it. He dropped off the phone for about 5 seconds, then came back and said they would match it. I got shipping/invoice confirmation of this as well.

Pars, either you have good negotiating skills or you got extremely lucky. I tried to get JR to go down to $129, and I said I could give them the link, but they were not interested in it. Like everyone else is say, they simply said they cannot verify RMC as an authorized dealer, and told me they can go no lower than $140.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #515 of 2,135
I received my 840's yesterday 8/4. I was unimpressed and a little disappointed when I first started listening, but that was to be expected without any kind of burn-in. After 24 hours of burn-in, I must say I'm relieved. Big improvement in 24 hours of burn-in, and only more joy to come in the next 4 days. It has the bass response that was lacking in the Grados, and I don't feel it was muddy at all, and it still has crisp highs and mids. I can honestly say at this time, these headphones compliment my Grado SR325is, perfectly. And after listening to the SRH840, my 325is's sound even better, if that makes any sense at all. I really enjoy them both. I have to say, I am very happy. The SRH840 is the best headphone value of the year, hands down. For acoustic and electric guitar based tracks, the Grado 325is sounds incredible. Now I am just waiting for the iBasso D10 amp to arrive. Who knows how long that will be. I haven't even received an email from them, even though I ordered it this morning.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #516 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your portable source? I find the huge 1/8 plug as the main annoying point portability wise. This makes it almost unusable with my iPhone 3G as it seriously seems as if one wrong move would do some bad damage to the headphone socket and the jack itself.

Thanks for this info. I'm trying to think of ways around this problem as well. Ideally, I'd like to have a right angle plug on whatever I plug into my iPhone. Maybe something like the volume that came with my e4cs would work?

Shure - Attachable Volume Control

I'd prefer not to use a portable amp if I don't have to.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #517 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my 840's yesterday 8/4. I was unimpressed and a little disappointed when I first started listening, but that was to be expected without any kind of burn-in. After 24 hours of burn-in, I must say I'm relieved. Big improvement in 24 hours of burn-in, and only more joy to come in the next 4 days. It has the bass response that was lacking in the Grados, and I don't feel it was muddy at all, and it still has crisp highs and mids. I can honestly say at this time, these headphones compliment my Grado SR325is, perfectly. And after listening to the SRH840, my 325is's sound even better, if that makes any sense at all. I really enjoy them both. I have to say, I am very happy. The SRH840 is the best headphone value of the year, hands down. For acoustic and electric guitar based tracks, the Grado 325is sounds incredible. Now I am just waiting for the iBasso D10 amp to arrive. Who knows how long that will be. I haven't even received an email from them, even though I ordered it this morning.

I'm waiting for my D10 as well. I'm actually staring out the door as DHL should arrive any time in the next couple hours. To be honest, I felt the bass a little bloated at higher listening volumes. Highs and mids I could not ask for more. During "Don't Panic" - Coldplay, I had trouble deceifering the bassline at times. But during the next track "Shiver" on the CD I had no issues with the bassline, so perhaps I need another copy of my first track.

So many things to test, so little time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Ok so after listening to some Trance, mainly Armin mixes from Imagine, I feel the bass isn't loose. It must have been that version of the Coldplay track I have. In fact, even at medium/high moderate levels the bass is punchy and impactful like I'm used to from getting a tight seal on SE530's.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #518 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting for my D10 as well. I'm actually staring out the door as DHL should arrive any time in the next couple hours. To be honest, I felt the bass a little bloated at higher listening volumes. Highs and mids I could not ask for more. During "Don't Panic" - Coldplay, I had trouble deceifering the bassline at times. But during the next track "Shiver" on the CD I had no issues with the bassline, so perhaps I need another copy of my first track.

smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Ok so after listening to some Trance, mainly Armin mixes from Imagine, I feel the bass isn't loose. It must have been that version of the Coldplay track I have. In fact, even at medium/high moderate levels the bass is punchy and impactful like I'm used to from getting a tight seal on SE530's.

I have that track in FLAC and I can tell you it's just the recording. The bass line is musical but not very distinct and clear cut.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #519 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Shiver didn't sound that great at all for me. Although, Yellow sounded decent. In my place was ok - I'm hoping after more burn-in that Coldplay will sound better. Coldplay doesn't sound very good on the Grado's at all. I'm not into pop music too much, but try a song called "Great DJ" by the Ting Tings. Sounds pretty good on the 840's. I also enjoyed No Doubt on them.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #520 of 2,135
For those worrying about where to get these, they are 130 with free shipping to the US at tour supply inc. They say they are an authorized dealer too. Thats where I got mine from. I posted the ebay link earlier in this thread. I got mine for 179 and the guy included worldwide express shipping with tracking for that price. Very Sweet deal!

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #521 of 2,135
^ oh, so they're $130 now, but you paid $170 at the time you purchased them? While I think that's a good deal, I think I'd rather spend the extra $20 and know that I can return them if I'm not satisfied.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I was considering the AKG 271 M II's up until now.

Is it fair to say that I can scratch those off of my list with these on the scene?

How do they fair in comparison with the D2000's?

Any commentary would be appreciate, as I'm trying to narrow down which I'm going to buy.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #522 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajreynol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ oh, so they're $130 now, but you paid $170 at the time you purchased them? While I think that's a good deal, I think I'd rather spend the extra $20 and know that I can return them if I'm not satisfied.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I was considering the AKG 271 M II's up until now.

Is it fair to say that I can scratch those off of my list with these on the scene?

How do they fair in comparison with the D2000's?

Any commentary would be appreciate, as I'm trying to narrow down which I'm going to buy.

All I gotta say is that the D2000 were painful to listen to. The D5000 is great, but I couldn't stand the D2000. People who say there's little difference btwn the two are deaf. Very dramatic difference.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #523 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajreynol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ oh, so they're $130 now, but you paid $170 at the time you purchased them?

Remember shipping to the Phillipines is not free
wink_face.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #524 of 2,135
ha.

*nods*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I gotta say is that the D2000 were painful to listen to. The D5000 is great, but I couldn't stand the D2000. People who say there's little difference btwn the two are deaf. Very dramatic difference.

that's interesting. they're so highly regarded here..

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #525 of 2,135
For all those who listen to Jazz / Diana Krall and the like, these headphones are seriously great for that. I listen to all genres of music but found them just fantastic with jazz.

Remember, let them burn in, pair it with a decent amp and dac and you're set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back