SRH840 impression
Jul 28, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #256 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinez33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wish there was a straight cable option, coiled is nice in some situations, straight on others. Having both kinds would be nice.

I'm sure somebody down the road (be it Shure or another company here) will make that a reality.
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #257 of 2,135
Ordered one yesterday. Will post brief impressions when I get them.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #259 of 2,135
Alright, picked these up from my FedEx office today, and have been listening to it for 3 hours now... not much, but thought I should write some opening impressions here. First of all, I'd like to thank Flavio and Headphonesolutions for helping me bring this over here across the border. Truly fantastic to deal with. Canadian Head-Fiers, deal with them with confidence, and if you need any helping out, ask and they'll help.
smily_headphones1.gif

My first impression was that I GREATLY underestimated the size of these. These are pretty big and I don't think that Headroom picture did the size justice... on my 7 1/4 sized head (normal I reckon), they look pretty big. This gives me second thoughts about whether I want to use this as portable cans or not... however, in almost everything else, they're full of win in my books, even this early in the testing stage. Here are some things I've noticed:

- There's definitely a lot of that SE530 SQ in there. Forward liquidy mids, and well extended bass (which is bit rough in the edges and boomy as of now, but I'm sure the burn in will make the corners round eventually). But I find that these are bit more forward and "in your face" than the SE530's. I dont' find them laid back at all, at least as of now. These remind me a lot of general Denon sound sig plus whole lot of mids. Do beware though, a lot of people find 530's mids somewhat unnatural and little bit too upfront. Since these have almost identical mids IMO it means that its mids may not be to everyone's liking.

- Main difference between this and 530's though, is the highs. There's a lot of sparkle there and you're not missing out on anything at all. But at the same time, I hear ZERO sibilance. Well done!

- I find the soundstage very respectable for a closed can, but it's still very much intimate. But I find the instrument positioning very decent.

- These are pretty efficient. I find that volume 18 on my Sony S639 gives it more than enough juice alone. Definitely great enough to use alone with a portable source.

- Related to the previous point, when amping on my EF1 + Tungsram 12AU7, they had more than enough power... as a matter of fact, I had to set my volume level to 9 o'clock, which is bare minimum on my amp without disturbing the right/left balance. With the Tungsram tube, which is thought of as a bright one with good extensions on both ends, it matched up very well. It had forward enough mids on its own already (and Tungsram in general leaves the mids alone I find), and the amping with this EF1 combo helped a lot with more treble extension and bass control. So amping isn't necessary in general, but does help quite a bit.

- Contrary to SE530's, I don't find these particularly forgiving. Bad recordings/lower bitrate songs didn't sound great on these. You'll want good quality songs for these (but hey, we all do over here, right? Nothing to worry about
biggrin.gif
)

- I forgot how HOT closed cans + pleather pads get (since I main HD650 and K701 the most these days). These get pretty hot on my ears and they would definitely make good winter cans IMO.

- They're otherwise very comfortable. Very little clamping force. As much as my D1001, which isn't much at all! Other than the hotness I feel that I can wear these for a long time.

- The build quality is EXCELLENT. They're tank calibre, enough said. Nothing is filmsy, and only possible weak point is the protuding cables on the side. Otherwise bulletproof.

- I think I don't mind the coiled cables at all. They keep the length short for portable purposes, although they'll bulk up your pockets a bit. But overall they feel very solid with minimal microphonics on the coiled side.

- And lastly, the isolation is superb. I'm going to put it through more real-world test tomorrow during commuting, but as of now, they seal very well and let out almost nothing. Should be excellent for studio purposes.

So, overall, I'd say I've found a third headphone to join my main rig rotation! This is reference level stuff. Very impressive stuff from Shure, and it's hard for me to imagine a closed can in this price range besting these. Definitely a keeper, and an absolute bargain at its current price.

I'll post more stuff as I notice them. Okay, back to listening!

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #260 of 2,135
Thanks for the initial impression, K19. Look forward to your updates post-burn in. Interesting how they have a similar sound signature to the SE530 with added treble sparkle. Glad to hear the clamping pressure works well with your head size. How does the soundstage compare with the SE530? Can you comment on its speed, attack and decay for electronic dance genre?

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #262 of 2,135
Good post K_19...maybe after some more burn in you could do a little comparison to some of your other headphones besides the SE530. that would be most welcome!

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #264 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the initial impression, K19. Look forward to your updates post-burn in. Interesting how they have a similar sound signature to the SE530 with added treble sparkle. Glad to hear the clamping pressure works well with your head size. How does the soundstage compare with the SE530? Can you comment on its speed, attack and decay for electronic dance genre?

The soundstage compared to the SE530's a no brainer; it's wider by a decent margin considering that these are full size headphones and 530's are IEM's (although 530's do have decent stage for an IEM). Instrument positioning is by far superior as well. As of now though, I'm not certain that instrument separation is all there yet; everything is somewhat glued and stringing along for now rather than being clearly cut from each other, especially in the lower frequencies. Pretty certain the burn in will help with this, as it's probably mainly due to thumpy bass (and do keep in mind basis of comparison here is probably mainly K701 and HD650... not overly fair.
tongue.gif
).

Electronic Dance? Ehh, that's one genre I don't listen to overly much unfortunately. Does Alice Deejay and Vangelis count?
redface.gif
If so, they got plenty of attack and thump IMO, mainly due to it being more of an in your face headphone. Plenty of energy. I wouldn't call these a fast can at all, but I wouldn't call them overly slow either... pretty neutral speed wise. They do well for rap, that's for certain, but can't really say more for eletronica/dance. Hopefully someone more experienced with those genres will answer that one in more detail for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matro5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for posting, K_19. Lots of good stuff here for just three hours in, and, it seems like these improve with burn-in.

I know there's probably a lot of new-gear wood gushing there, but I really did get a good first impression of them, most likely because they met pretty much all of my SQ expectations. Looking forward to seeing what the burn in will bring!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good post K_19...maybe after some more burn in you could do a little comparison to some of your other headphones besides the SE530. that would be most welcome!

Will do! What did cross my mind early on though, is that these amped with my EF1+Tungsram reminded me a lot of my HD650 + Mullard combo. Now, EF1 is somewhat of a lower tier amp and don't take advantage of HD650's full potential (and I know cuz I've heard them out of better amps elsewhere), but 840's had a lot of the qualities of that EF1 combo. Mullards in the combo brings the mids forward a lot and add to the control of the bass, and I found that the Shures sounded very much like it. I don't mean to flatter 840's overly much in comparison to HD650's or anything, but that's what I noticed.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #265 of 2,135
Sounds like these are quite competent cans and with burn-in, the bass will tighten nicely. EDM is the broader term to cover trance, euro, freestyle, techno, etc. so Alice DeeJay counts. I have the E500s and enjoy them listening to EDM so I may just pull the trigger on these for $129. Thanks!

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #266 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, picked these up from my FedEx office today, and have been listening to it for 3 hours now... not much, but thought I should write some opening impressions here. First of all, I'd like to thank Flavio and Headphonesolutions for helping me bring this over here across the border. Truly fantastic to deal with. Canadian Head-Fiers, deal with them with confidence, and if you need any helping out, ask and they'll help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just curious K_19, was there any duty/brokerage fees with FedEx? I'm also in Canada and I am seriously considering going through headphonesolutions.com as well. Can't recall, but did you request the $159 deal? Also curious as there seems to be a range of different, mutually exclusive deals that Flavio & Co. have been offering. Cheers!
jecklinsmile.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #267 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the rec, on order. Now I'm waiting for 2 cans to arrive...

I couldn't pass this up since electropop has compared them favorably to my 325i's with George Duke (love it) no less. Now I've got to back home, pull out the LPs and listen to him, George Benson, and Grove Washington Jr on my 325i's until my HF2's and 840's arrive.

High fives for George Duke! Liberated Fantasies sounds absolutely beautiful on LP. But don't be let down at first, these phones require at least the initial 100 hrs for burn-in. What clearly happened was that the bass calmed down (more significant) and recently the mids really opened up too. I will have to deal with their bulkiness now since it's become quite hard to imagine going back to the HD25's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #268 of 2,135
BTW, to anyone who orders from RMC Audio for their $129 introductory price, be sure to enter the coupon code "INSIDER5" to receive an additional 5% off. The total comes out to just over $122 with shipping.

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #269 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, to anyone who orders from RMC Audio for their $129 introductory price, be sure to enter the coupon code "INSIDER5" to receive an additional 5% off. The total comes out to just over $122 with shipping.

Thanks for the notice, Shahrose. I just sent RMC Audio an email to see if they would apply my discount post-order -- I should hope they will, considering they don't have the SRH840 in stock and are just sitting on my credit card info at this point.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #270 of 2,135
rmc audio?? i see the 840's for $199 on there... is that deal already gone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back