SRH840 impression
Jan 7, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #1,981 of 2,135
I don't have issue hearing the foot tap on Eric Clapton's Unplugged Track #2.  And I don't just hear it as low resonance, it sounds like foot taps.  In fact I can hear them VERY CLEARLY.  The only time I can't hear it is the crowd is cheering at the beginning of the track.

I'm using USB ASIO drivers to Audio-GD DAC/Amp.

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,982 of 2,135
Oh, i didn't mean that I couldn't hear it at all, rather that in direct comparison it doesn't stand out clearly the way it does on the Sonys. It was just one direct illustration of a place where, to my ears, the Shures kind of muddied everything up together. Listening to it in isolation and saying oh, well I can hear that isn't the point. You have to compare it immediately to something else to appreciate the different qualities. 

In any case, I surely don't mean to offend anyone. These are just shared observations from a fairly unbiased comparison considering I went into it expecting to prefer the Shures. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #1,983 of 2,135
Hey guys, I really hate to post so late on a thread but I need some help. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on these but I listen to mainly rock music. I'd really like to know what you think, and if you have a can in the same price range you prefer please metion. Thanks, and sorry again for posting so late.

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,985 of 2,135
Quote:
Hey guys, I really hate to post so late on a thread but I need some help. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on these but I listen to mainly rock music. I'd really like to know what you think, and if you have a can in the same price range you prefer please metion. Thanks, and sorry again for posting so late.

I'm a rocker here and i quite enjoy them for the genre. The mild mid emphasis gives a nice full sound to the guitars. I've never found them to be slow at all, as they have been accused of.The overall balance means they work pretty well for everything. I are the absolute best choice for rock? I can't say. But i can tell you i enjoy them immensely. In fact i hadn't listened to them in a while, putting them back on i was pleasantly surprised.

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #1,986 of 2,135
HI guys, sorry for waking a sleeping thread as it were, but I had a few questions.

So, I'm a newbie into the world of good sound and hi-fi gear. Just manage to save up enough to get these headphones (still trying to decide on which amp/DAC). My audio source is mainly my Galaxy Nexus, which i've been told has a decent onboard DAC.

I read through some of the posts here, and it may be that years of loud music has defeaned me, or I need a good DAC perhaps, but a lot of i don't hear. There is definitely some amount of sibilance (which is becoming less with burn-in though) especially on tracks like the  new album of linkin park, a lot of the songs sound very harsh through these. These headphones have actually changed the songs I like, been hearing things I haven't before. Whether they are just in my head or really theheadphones i dont know yet. Maybe when I go home and try them with my parents' home theater set up?

My main question is regarding the soundstage, that is one of the main reasons i bought these headphones; the good soundstage that everyone is talking about. Now I dont think i've heard "good headphones", but the soundstage on this is thoroughly unimpressive, am I just setting my sights too high with a pair of closed cans? I am extremely aware that i am listening through headphones, they are quite fun to listen through, but i've never gotten lost in the music as it were?

I also use my desktop sometimes, which is a standard HP P7-1154 (not sure what the onboard soundcard is here). I even tried the "5.1 headphone" trick with foobar that someone posted on this forum, and i swear i cannot hear any difference at all, both back and front sound like they come from the same place.

So, am I deaf, or do i need a better DAC? Or perhaps my headphones are defective?

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,987 of 2,135
Quote:
HI guys, sorry for waking a sleeping thread as it were, but I had a few questions.

So, I'm a newbie into the world of good sound and hi-fi gear. Just manage to save up enough to get these headphones (still trying to decide on which amp/DAC). My audio source is mainly my Galaxy Nexus, which i've been told has a decent onboard DAC.

I read through some of the posts here, and it may be that years of loud music has defeaned me, or I need a good DAC perhaps, but a lot of i don't hear. There is definitely some amount of sibilance (which is becoming less with burn-in though) especially on tracks like the  new album of linkin park, a lot of the songs sound very harsh through these. These headphones have actually changed the songs I like, been hearing things I haven't before. Whether they are just in my head or really theheadphones i dont know yet. Maybe when I go home and try them with my parents' home theater set up?

My main question is regarding the soundstage, that is one of the main reasons i bought these headphones; the good soundstage that everyone is talking about. Now I dont think i've heard "good headphones", but the soundstage on this is thoroughly unimpressive, am I just setting my sights too high with a pair of closed cans? I am extremely aware that i am listening through headphones, they are quite fun to listen through, but i've never gotten lost in the music as it were?

I also use my desktop sometimes, which is a standard HP P7-1154 (not sure what the onboard soundcard is here). I even tried the "5.1 headphone" trick with foobar that someone posted on this forum, and i swear i cannot hear any difference at all, both back and front sound like they come from the same place.

So, am I deaf, or do i need a better DAC? Or perhaps my headphones are defective?

i think part of it could be the type of music you listen to. Rock in general isn't quite known for a big sound stage. And knowing lp (big fan myself) the electronic aspect typically doesn't add to the sound stage. SO perhaps try a different style of music, classical perhaps. Or try to zone in on one instrument in rock. I always use drums. Try to determine what direction the drums are coming from. Pay attention tom fills. 

I doubt that its a defect, or even the need for a DAC/amp. It often just takes some time to appreciate this sort of thing. Just enjoy the music my friend. Don't forget, that's what this is all about.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,988 of 2,135
[size=medium]Are these HP particularly good or specialize in mainstream R&B, Hip-Hop, or Country. Do they isolate well and are comfortable? And is it pointless to get a HP of this caliber, if just listening to MP3’s on the go?[/size]

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,989 of 2,135
Quote:
[size=medium]Are these HP particularly good or specialize in mainstream R&B, Hip-Hop, or Country. Do they isolate well and are comfortable? And is it pointless to get a HP of this caliber, if just listening to MP3’s on the go?[/size]

It's fairly balanced so it should work well for just about everything. These isolate extremely well. Comfort, is a toss up. They are very heavy. Some people are fine with it some aren't its just a personal thing. Beyond just caliber this can is a bit large for on the go listening. And that depends on the quality of your mp3's. What is the bit rate?

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,990 of 2,135
Thanks for the help! The bit rate quality would be anywhere from 128 to 320. When I say on the go, I mean I'm deployed....so I move around from place to place a lot, not really walking and using them but putting them in a bag. laying aound watching a movie etc.... In your opinion would these be an upgrade from the CAL!? 

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #1,991 of 2,135
Okay, well as long as you have a fairly high bit rate, unless you are an audio engineer trained to look for it, you really won't have any problems with music. And, to be entirely honest i have never heard The CAL! i have heard good things about it. I'll be honest though, they're kind of in two price ranges. Now, assuming the are both the best of the best for their respective ranges (and i can attest to the 840 being so) then logic would say yes, the srh 840 would be and upgrade. But then again, I'm not familiar with the signature of the CAL! so it may suit your tastes better.here, i have a review of the 840. It's a bit old (the video) so i would go by the write up more as it is a great deal more recent and contains far better understanding. Click here to head to my review. hope that helps. any questions, feel free to ask i'm happy to help.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,992 of 2,135
Been using these for over a year now.

Have to say I'm quite satisfied with them.  Overall quite neutral and produces a sound that seems like what the artist intended.

A few things I don't like that seem common with closed headphones: soundstage isn't as good for i.e. Classical, as maybe open air headphones would be. The bass is a bit weaker but adequate. fine details aren't strong on these headphones.  I hear little details and sound signatures better in my Klipsch Image X10 and Beats Tours compared to these.

Overall though I'd say for the $150 I spent on them, I'm very satisfied.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #1,993 of 2,135
Quote:

Have to say I'm quite satisfied with them.  Overall quite neutral and produces a sound that seems like what the artist intended.

A few things I don't like that seem common with closed headphones: soundstage isn't as good for i.e. Classical, as maybe open air headphones would be. The bass is a bit weaker but adequate. fine details aren't strong on these headphones.  I hear little details and sound signatures better in my Klipsch Image X10 and Beats Tours compared to these.

Soundstage, for a closed headphone isn't bad at all. Detail, you way wan to try them on an amp. That may help some. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,994 of 2,135
Quote:

Really? The SRH840s are very detailed to me, more so in the mid and highs than the lower-end. They've spoiled me to the point where any headphone or IEM I buy has to have at least 80% of the detail retrieval the Shure does.

I agree on the soundstage though, it's quite small. Better than the M50s but much smaller than something like the D2k or A900x.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #1,995 of 2,135
Quote:
Really? The SRH840s are very detailed to me, more so in the mid and highs than the lower-end. They've spoiled me to the point where any headphone or IEM I buy has to have at least 80% of the detail retrieval the Shure does.

I agree on the soundstage though, it's quite small. Better than the M50s but much smaller than something like the D2k or A900x.

motion seconded on detail. i recently came back to it after using my HD600 for a while. I'm happy to say it didn't disappoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back