SRH840 impression
Aug 20, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #1,861 of 2,135
I was chatting with a buddy the other day about how the various dj-style cans compare against each other, and somehow the 840 came up as the pothead of the family. Some cans are in your face and aggressive, others are a bit trippy with a frequency response that's all over the place, some like fast music, some like slow... the 840s are kind of a "yeah whatever man, just listen to the music and enjoy..." and then you go out for snacks.

Aug 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #1,862 of 2,135

Quote:
I was chatting with a buddy the other day about how the various dj-style cans compare against each other, and somehow the 840 came up as the pothead of the family. Some cans are in your face and aggressive, others are a bit trippy with a frequency response that's all over the place, some like fast music, some like slow... the 840s are kind of a "yeah whatever man, just listen to the music and enjoy..." and then you go out for snacks.

Agreed, biggest weakness of the SRH840s is the tendency to sound boring. Still, a good pair of closed headphones to keep around though.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #1,864 of 2,135
What keeps me from getting them is hearing that they are a little boring and maybe dark/warm. Looking at the Fischer 003's instead...

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #1,866 of 2,135

Quote:
The 840 is very balanced and dynamic with good transparency. I would not call it boring IMO and served me well when I owned them.

Thanks for your input. Tbh, I am torn between them, the Fischers, and the Beyer DT 770 600 ohm. All seem like good choices for a closed can in the $150 to $200 range.

I've been reading that the 840's are heavy/uncomfortable though. If this is true it would be enough to dissuade me from them. (I know the Beyer's are supposed to be comfortable, Fischers too I think).

Edit: I see you have the 770's; would you recommend them over the 840's or are they both just as good but for different things? I like a neutral sound overall (I have the akg 702's), but I'm looking for a bit of a fun factor too...like the bass description of the 770's and somewhat forward highs. What I don't like are recessed mids/voices.

Aug 21, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #1,867 of 2,135

Quote:

Thanks for your input. Tbh, I am torn between them, the Fischers, and the Beyer DT 770 600 ohm. All seem like good choices for a closed can in the $150 to $200 range.

I've been reading that the 840's are heavy/uncomfortable though. If this is true it would be enough to dissuade me from them. (I know the Beyer's are supposed to be comfortable, Fischers too I think).

Edit: I see you have the 770's; would you recommend them over the 840's or are they both just as good but for different things? I like a neutral sound overall (I have the akg 702's), but I'm looking for a bit of a fun factor too...like the bass description of the 770's and somewhat forward highs. What I don't like are recessed mids/voices.

IMO the 770 600 ohms is much better than the 840. Bass is better highs are very extended and balance and neutral. I even prefer it over the 701 I had. To be it is a min i T1 same sound signature less refined but a bargain for the 184.00 I paid for them. Keep in mind with the 770 you need an amp for the 840 you do not. The 770 are much more comfortable and do not feel like your closed in. It delivers all the goods that you can ask for.

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #1,868 of 2,135

Quote:

IMO the 770 600 ohms is much better than the 840. Bass is better highs are very extended and balance and neutral. I even prefer it over the 701 I had. To be it is a min i T1 same sound signature less refined but a bargain for the 184.00 I paid for them. Keep in mind with the 770 you need an amp for the 840 you do not. The 770 are much more comfortable and do not feel like your closed in. It delivers all the goods that you can ask for.

Thanks for your input again. I am leaning towards the 770's. I'd like to just get a taste of the Beyer sound signature for one thing. I do have a Matrix M Stage amp which sounds great and powers the 702's well so it seems I'm set there.

/thread hijack over.
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #1,870 of 2,135
I couldn't give you any comparison to the SRH440's, as I've never owned or even heard them. But I can tell you for sure, you'll be bery satisfied with the 840's they sound great even without an amp. Great value and great comfort. Even though, if you're aiming towards saving money I'd say to go with the 440's with 840's pads. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #1,871 of 2,135
Would the SH840 be good for punk rock listening ?

I'm looking for cans that are fast, with good mids for guitars, no bright highs (The highs of my 325i are killing me), good instrument separation.
Or, if you think of something else for punk rock / hardcore music, around 250-300$ (or less), feel free !

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #1,872 of 2,135
SRH840s are very balanced and neutral. That's why some people label them as boring. Not the case with my experience, I'm still burning mine in and I listen to lots of rock and metal (usually listen to a huge variety of genres) and I haven't been disappointed at all, even when I'm not using an amp. I will go ahead and say that in my opinion the Shure SRH840s deliver very well to all genres (at least all the ones I listen to) 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #1,873 of 2,135
I don't think being balanced and neutral always means boring.  Theres other things that account for boring sound beside frequency response.  I think this is a misconception.  Others like myself have heard unbalanced and colored phones that are boring.  Someday people I hope people will stop fixating on FR only.  Unfortunately, it is the most easily accessible measurement available for comparison.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #1,874 of 2,135

Quote:
SRH840s are very balanced and neutral. That's why some people label them as boring. Not the case with my experience, I'm still burning mine in and I listen to lots of rock and metal (usually listen to a huge variety of genres) and I haven't been disappointed at all, even when I'm not using an amp. I will go ahead and say that in my opinion the Shure SRH840s deliver very well to all genres (at least all the ones I listen to) 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I don't think being balanced and neutral always means boring.  Theres other things that account for boring sound beside frequency response.  I think this is a misconception.  Others like myself have heard unbalanced and colored phones that are boring.  Someday people I hope people will stop fixating on FR only.  Unfortunately, it is the most easily accessible measurement available for comparison.

I agree to an extent. I always try to find neutral components (from DACs to speakers to cans). My 702's are neutral and I love them and listen to everything on them, even metal and hard rock.

BUT I do find my 225i's are a little more "fun" with those genres, or when I feel in the mood for a more energetic/lively sound. The 702's are really the better headphone, but they can get a little boring and it's fun to try a change. But I wouldn't want to listen to just the 225i's exclusively, and, in fact, if I could only own one I'd choose the 702's.

Anyway I just got the Beyer 770's and am happy so far (less than an hour of listening though). They seem balanced enough but also a little "fun". Not as colored as the 225i's, but not as "boring" as the 702's because they aren't totally neutral (well, no can really is).

I'd like to just try the 840's so I could compare them to the 770's, but I probably won't. I probably end up keeping both! lol

And I don't even look at freq. response graphs when choosing headphones, just user impressions. That's the best besides actually hearing the can for extended periods with a variety of music imo.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #1,875 of 2,135

Quote:

...And I don't even look at freq. response graphs when choosing headphones, just user impressions. That's the best besides actually hearing the can for extended periods with a variety of music imo.

Same here, when getting a new pair of headphones I try to be as unbiased and objective as possible. I don't want to either advantage or disadvantage a pair of headphones psychologically. By looking at stats and graphs, I make myself an idea of how they sound, but I'd rather be surprised by a pair of headphones relying only on what my ears feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back