SR60-Mod
Mar 25, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #2,491 of 5,004
hey big bill, do you always edit all your posts? 
biggrin.gif

I do on another forum. There's no preview and I can't ever remember tags :p

Big Bill I was planning on the same thing pending the arrival of both the 325 cups and the inners. I have to say you'll probably beat me to it, so let me know how that goes. I don't know your taste in sound, but I'm a treble addict here, and aluminum seems to be the way to go to get it, but I'm a little worried about that. And I haven't heard a woodie yet to say whether I'll want to try the speedy sound velocity of aluminum after that.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #2,492 of 5,004

Quote:
Hello gang, I received a pair of SR 325's in the mail today that I purchased second hand on another forum. I bought these to do a A/B comparison with my modded SR 60's. I'm pleased to report that the modded SR 60's are the clear winner between the two! I do however like what the aluminum seems to do with the high frequency's of the SR 325's though. I'm thinking of giving these aluminum shells a try with the wooden inners Bilavideo is sending me once they arrive. I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Bill.

A properly modded SR60 will stick it to the SR325 anytime anyday...well, except for the extended highs. You guys know I own a 325is and quite frankly almost gave up on it (especially coming from an RS-1) but it's a good thing I did not because I found this thread and boom, suddenly the 325 was an entirely different beast altogether. My kinda beast! Oh how dear I cling on to them now... :) 

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #2,493 of 5,004
hmmm ill have to trace back in this thread that aluminum-wood combination for the outer shells... you know, that one with the aluminum rings... anybody know where it is?

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #2,494 of 5,004
I would like to hear a 325 again, heard one briefly a few years ago. Might get a chance to audition some stuff next weekend at a high end shop in Philly.

Actually what I would really like is a vintage, black 325. From my reading they are more RS series like than the current 325's. Better extension than the 225's, but the better bass quantity of the RS's. The price of vintage Grado's has gone nuts though. Anyone seen what a pair of Joe Grado era SR's (100, 200, 200) or HP's are going for nowadays? Its getting crazy. The HP-2 is my white whale though, someday I would love to at least hear one, let alone own one.

In any case, I do think I need to get something else to compare my 60's too. I am very likely going to sell my Indeed and Fostex T50RP's to put the money towards a Little Dot 1+ and pair of SR225's.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #2,496 of 5,004

Does this mean that you prefer the Aluminium or wood shells? My buddy still hasn't gotten back to me about making my aluminium shells :frowning2:. I think I'll call him this weekend.

Aluminum has a higher velocity of sound, the highest of any material practically available.  You can beat it with diamonds or berylium but the former is extravagantly expensive while the latter is totally toxic.  I love aluminum - until it drives me nuts.  The aluminum will give you dazzling sparkle, and possibly a headache to go with it.  If you attenuate this "aluminum effect" with a great tonewood, you can have the best of both worlds.  But unlike the HF2, which jams the tonewood all the way to the end of the shell, I would suggest using a tonewood liner that leaves more of the aluminum exposed.  You can have great bass and great sparkle in the same headphone.  It's wonderful.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2,497 of 5,004
Recently, somebody challenged me to mod up his SR125 while keeping the shells "stock."  I vented the drivers and damped the magnet plate but when it came time to shell up, I cut some skinnies from Brazilian rosewood.  I'm really happy with the result.  I had to sand the skinnies down so I could fit the plastic shells over them, but the result was a nice balance of bass and sparkle.

I also set fire to my wood!  The BR is so oily that my hot hole saws actually sparked a piece and burning embers actually charcoaled a piece.  If I hadn't discovered this growing burn, I'd have come home from the movies to a no home at all or to no BR at all.  Either way, a disaster was narrowly avoided.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #2,498 of 5,004
Recently, somebody challenged me to mod up his SR125 while keeping the shells "stock."  I vented the drivers and damped the magnet plate but when it came time to shell up, I cut some skinnies from Brazilian rosewood.  I'm really happy with the result.  I had to sand the skinnies down so I could fit the plastic shells over them, but the result was a nice balance of bass and sparkle.

I also set fire to my wood!  The BR is so oily that my hot hole saws actually sparked a piece and burning embers actually charcoaled a piece.  If I hadn't discovered this growing burn, I'd have come home from the movies to a no home at all or to no BR at all.  Either way, a disaster was narrowly avoided.

That makes this whole thing seem more dangerous than ever. Slowly growing embers scare me here since I pay attention to meaningless details yet I bet I'd never notice that and I would have burned my garage down.

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #2,500 of 5,004

Quote:

That makes this whole thing seem more dangerous than ever. Slowly growing embers scare me here since I pay attention to meaningless details yet I bet I'd never notice that and I would have burned my garage down.

I wear it like a badge of honor.  I'm impressed.  This wood has that much oil in it.  And while it's a hassle to clean off the putty-like residue, I much prefer its suppleness to the brittleness of some dryer woods.

This is my Apollo 1.

Quote:
thin shells og wood inside the stock plastic cups? damn, this is like another dimension in grado modding

I love it!

Yes, Virginia, you can keep the stock cups and hide rosewood inside.  The results are spectacular if I say so myself.  This is a nice way to hit post 3000.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #2,503 of 5,004
With inners like that I am thinking that buying a SR325 is a very good idea. Vent the drivers, remove the plastic ring in the cups and replace it with a wooden one. Probably one of the easiest way to mod these to "full" potential.

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #2,504 of 5,004
Bilavideo what should I do with my 125's that are here waiting for whatever the mad doctor comes up with...I can't/won't liberate-too risky for me with shaky paws. I like a nice even sound top to bottom with nice tight punchy bass and extended highs but must be non-fatiguing even if it means sacrificing some of the high end sparkle. Thoughts??

2) Guys and gals check out the sci-fi movie Skyline-a great Aliens invade the world movie with excellent special effects and just plane fun to watch action. You don't need a masters degree in physics to enjoy it-its a good old semi predictable invasion movie:

3) The photo below is of the SR125's JohnR over at audiocircle layed on me to play with because he knew I liked Grado's and he never could warm up to the Grado sound, so this the before shot:

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #2,505 of 5,004
Well, I have a drill press coming tonight. Tomorrow will be spent restoring it up to par. It was built in the 40's and needs a new belt, some lubrication, and rewiring. Should be a fun project and worthwhile in the long run though. Can't wait to do some playing tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back