SR60-Mod
Mar 22, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #2,401 of 5,004

Quote:
lol.... keeping up with this thread is becoming a full time job! I think my next step is going with a balanced cable to see if it will bring any improvement.

Cheers,
Al

Doubtful.  Going balanced means having a balanced source, amp and cables for your cans.  It's pretty well accepted that unless you are ready to spend serious money on going balanced, it's not worth it.
And there is a strong argument that says that for every $3000 balanced rig out there there is a single ended one that sounds just as good.  The theory of balanced audio signals sounds good but in actual practice it gets really fuzzy.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #2,405 of 5,004

Quote:

Barney grados!
I wonder if he ever managed to sell those, I Ofered him 20$ but never replied....

Probably because of your offer.....
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #2,407 of 5,004
Doubtful.  Going balanced means having a balanced source, amp and cables for your cans.  It's pretty well accepted that unless you are ready to spend serious money on going balanced, it's not worth it.
And there is a strong argument that says that for every $3000 balanced rig out there there is a single ended one that sounds just as good.  The theory of balanced audio signals sounds good but in actual practice it gets really fuzzy.

Are you saying Grado's sound fuzzy or balanced rigs in general... Sorry this is getting a bit off topic.

EDIT: I re-read your post and I see your point was about the practice of going balanced, not the actual sound. I think.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2,408 of 5,004
Mar 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2,409 of 5,004

Cswann1,

I agree with most of what you're saying but a balanced rig, cables etc does not have to be expensive. Much like Bill's thread it's all about patience, research and courage to diy. For example, a couple of headfiers have made balanced rigs out of two inexpensive cmoy amps.

Cheers,
Al

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2,410 of 5,004
I removed the cloth in front of the driver, but now i wish i hadnt since i can feel no difference at all. and at least it was protected from dust, i believe.
Anyway, what does not kill the grado, make it stronger.

here's the basterd:

Also, I copied this from swbf2cheater, he did it in sr325 with giant such, i did it with the L-cushion on my sr80i. Senn HD485 pads attached to the grado ones.

more comfortable than the L-cushions, circumaural is better for me.

As far as i can hear, the bass did got stronger but not tighter.

Im gonna have 2 weeks off from work soon, so id be moding these for real soon. and chosing wood 
L3000.gif

and BTW Eva 01 says "Hi ya' all"

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #2,413 of 5,004

I removed the cloth in front of the driver, but now i wish i hadnt since i can feel no difference at all. and at least it was protected from dust, i believe.

It's dust protection you can compensate for by blowing directly over the driver.  Nothing lost.

As for the "difference," did you vent the drivers?  If you haven't, doing so does make a difference.  The cloth removal mod goes with the driver venting mod.  They work in synergy.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #2,414 of 5,004

Quote:

It's dust protection you can compensate for by blowing directly over the driver.  Nothing lost.

As for the "difference," did you vent the drivers?  If you haven't, doing so does make a difference.  The cloth removal mod goes with the driver venting mod.  They work in synergy.

that must be then!
No i havent vent the drivers, i will when i  got home and borrow my sister's hair dryer. Ive heard is easier to remove the caps by heating it with a hair dryer.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2,415 of 5,004
HEY! one thing about removing the dust cloth. the area between the driver diaphragm and the front grille make for a very good hiding spot for small insects.

your cans should be swept for bugs daily or at least before use. dayyuumm, last night some small crawly insect crawled inside my aural canals when i got home and "plugged" my love [my grado]... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back