SR60-Mod
Mar 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #2,191 of 5,004
I have missed alot of information in this thread. I recently got the last pair of hf2s and am not happy with the finish of the cups. I want to take them apart and have the metal reanodized. I will most likely ruin the wood and was curious if anyone is making the the cups the drivers sit in with the lip for the pads. I am going backwards in the thread and have not come across this info yet so if anyone knows please let me know. I am debating if I should just return these and move on. If its possible to fix then I will reconsider.

John

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #2,192 of 5,004

Quote:
I have missed alot of information in this thread. I recently got the last pair of hf2s and am not happy with the finish of the cups. I want to take them apart and have the metal reanodized. I will most likely ruin the wood and was curious if anyone is making the the cups the drivers sit in with the lip for the pads. I am going backwards in the thread and have not come across this info yet so if anyone knows please let me know. I am debating if I should just return these and move on. If its possible to fix then I will reconsider.

John

Bilavideo is one source and others are soon to be launching I think...but Bill (bilavideo) the reason we are al modding up a storm is who you should try first I think...

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #2,193 of 5,004
It wouldn't be that hard to remake the "driver holders", however I see no reason why those would be wrecked when removing the cups. I could be wrong of course because obviously the Mahogany isn't going to be as robust as the original plastic driver holders, however if care is used, there is no reason the wood should break. Otherwise it wouldn't be that hard to get someone with a lathe to fabricate new pieces I would think. They aren't complex or anything. Honestly the best place to look might be in the modded Alesandro MS Ulitmate thread, because the guys there are making distancers that are similar in shape to the wooden driver holder.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #2,194 of 5,004
a side note...sharkz you were looking for a spare driver?? was that someone else?? I'm old, memory is fading...aahhhhh...

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #2,195 of 5,004
I think they use heat resistent wood glue on the hf2s. I was talking with John Chen the past few days about the cups and he said its not a good idea to take them apart. This might be b/c he doesnt want anyone to know its easy/ok to take them apart or maybe he knows what hes talking about. I really want to take them apart and have the cups refinished since they are probably going to oxidize faster since the top coat has a shotty coat on them.

Quote:
It wouldn't be that hard to remake the "driver holders", however I see no reason why those would be wrecked when removing the cups. I could be wrong of course because obviously the Mahogany isn't going to be as robust as the original plastic driver holders, however if care is used, there is no reason the wood should break. Otherwise it wouldn't be that hard to get someone with a lathe to fabricate new pieces I would think. They aren't complex or anything. Honestly the best place to look might be in the modded Alesandro MS Ulitmate thread, because the guys there are making distancers that are similar in shape to the wooden driver holder.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #2,196 of 5,004

I still have a set of his first wood rings, I dont know what to do with them at the moment. I asked for them awhile back when I had some 325s that I wanted to take apart. I got a great deal on some rs1s and got rid of the 325s before the rings arrived. I need to ask him about some newer cups but ill have to wait since his family is not doing well now.

Quote:
Bilavideo is one source and others are soon to be launching I think...but Bill (bilavideo) the reason we are al modding up a storm is who you should try first I think...

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #2,197 of 5,004

Quote:
a side note...sharkz you were looking for a spare driver?? was that someone else?? I'm old, memory is fading...aahhhhh...

Yeah, I'm the goof who trashed a driver during recable. Bill said he had some, but I haven't had contact since Thursday. Obviously what he is going through is much more important so I have been busying myself otherwise until I can get in touch with him or find a driver from someone else. At least it gives me time to finish up my Padauk cups, refinished them last night and they look much better. Also have a single Purpleheart cup right now which is looking good (had two, the other cracked and I won't be cutting again until at least next week).

Schwallman, who is John Chen? Not familiar with that name.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #2,198 of 5,004

John Chen is the guy that most likely responds to yuor emails with grado.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm the goof who trashed a driver during recable. Bill said he had some, but I haven't had contact since Thursday. Obviously what he is going through is much more important so I have been busying myself otherwise until I can get in touch with him or find a driver from someone else. At least it gives me time to finish up my Padauk cups, refinished them last night and they look much better. Also have a single Purpleheart cup right now which is looking good (had two, the other cracked and I won't be cutting again until at least next week).

Schwallman, who is John Chen? Not familiar with that name.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #2,199 of 5,004
John Chen, Grado's National Sales Director

or so I have heard
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #2,200 of 5,004
I finally finished refinishing my Padauk cups, I am really happy with how they came out. I also have a Purpleheart cup finished, now it just needs a partner (and a pair of drivers that work). I really wish I could actually listen to these instead of looking at them, but since I will be in Vermont skiing and drinking microbrews for the next four days, I will be letting the lacquer totally cure. Hopefully I can get these back together (sans working drivers) for some better pictures by Sunday. Now to just make another Purplheart cup and start on my Leopardwood cups. Hopefully my drill press will be acquired and installed by next weekend. And hopefully I will have a mini lathe by the summer....

This thread has really died down without our illustrious ringleader here. I hope all is well in the Bilavideo family.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #2,202 of 5,004
Theoretically none of these mods would electrically make it necessary to use an amp. However after listening to my 60's both amped (hybrid tube) and from the output of DAPs, I would say that there is no contest that things sound better out of an amp. But again, the phones still follow the characteristics of the base driver, these mods are not altering the primary characteristics of the driver at all.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #2,203 of 5,004
^ In your case, because of the tubes, you are also slightly colouring the sound. No biggie though, Grados do sound better amped, but not to the same extent than let's say a Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #2,204 of 5,004

Quote:
... next weekend. And hopefully I will have a mini lathe by the summer....

This thread has really died down without our illustrious ringleader here. I hope all is well in the Bilavideo family.

Now we're talking!!! A lathe will up all these great ideas and yield so many new ones...bring it on, Lathe it up sharkz!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back