SR60-Mod
Mar 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2,206 of 5,004

Quote:

Not only that, but my skinnies have yet to get here. I ordered them from Bill at least 2 weeks ago. I sincerely hope all is well.

I believe everything is allright. Just relax :)
This is THE thread around here.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #2,207 of 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkz
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
But again, the phones still follow the characteristics of the base driver, these mods are not altering the primary characteristics of the driver at all.

It's my opinion that these mods certainly do change the characteristics of the driver. While the voice coil impedance and inductance values remain the same, the drivers frequency response range, efficiency and resonant frequency do change once one begins to alter the driver assembly (IE: removing the white grill cloth and/or the plastic grill/wave guide and/or the opening/drilling of holes in the drivers basket).  The degree to which the drivers characteristics change directly relates to which and how many mods one has performed.

Bill.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #2,208 of 5,004
Interesting points raised by both sharkz and big bill - I am not sure that the actual driver changes, but certainly when you alter the enclosure a driver is in, the resultant sound changes - no doubt about that to me.

In any case, clearly to many the sound is improved, and if you don't go crazy buying tools and exotic wood, it is all pretty affordable to do.

I have resigned myself around which pads to use. I had reported that the cush-l bagel pads were only 8/10 of the sound of the cush-m bowl pads - but, I only miss the other 2/10 if I do a direct comparison.  I just leave the bagels on, they are so comfy. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #2,209 of 5,004
I would tend to go with Big Bill on the driver changes, electrically they don't, physically they most definitely do in my opinion. We do everything but rebuild them totally, the only thing really really original is the sacred driver core area but the entire region around it, behind it, what its now put in opposed to what it was originally designed to be put in have changed. Its like taking a loudspeaker and cutting away the entire cabinet and building a redesigned one, while taking the actual driver itself and modifying the basket the housing it in the resonant qualities of everything involved and expecting it to sound good....they do sound good and most cases sound excellent thats what makes this modding so much fun. Outside of totally ruining the driver core area itself pretty much no matter what you try you'll still get sound of high quality.

Big Bill--when are headbands shipping???

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #2,210 of 5,004
I'm back!  Thanks, everybody, for your patience and understanding.  My six-year-old is out of the woods, so to speak, and back to being both adorable and occasionally annoying.  I spent the better part of the day catching up.  I've got Spring Break off so I've got loads of time at my disposable - at least I do now.  I've got projects backed up but I'm thrilled I finally have the time to scratch that itch and make things happen.

Not only that, but my skinnies have yet to get here. I ordered them from Bill at least 2 weeks ago. I sincerely hope all is well.

I just had a conversation with Mksuen.  Skinnies are off, but upgraded to Brazilian rosewood.  Go Spartans!

Yeah, I'm the goof who trashed a driver during recable. Bill said he had some, but I haven't had contact since Thursday. Obviously what he is going through is much more important so I have been busying myself otherwise until I can get in touch with him or find a driver from someone else. At least it gives me time to finish up my Padauk cups, refinished them last night and they look much better. Also have a single Purpleheart cup right now which is looking good (had two, the other cracked and I won't be cutting again until at least next week).

Sharkz, I've got you covered but I'm not going to use any of the 40mm drivers I recently got.  They're ill-suited to headphone use (no bass).  I don't know how a company can make a 40mm driver that looks so much like Grado's and still turn out a product that couldn't hold a candle to the genius of Grado.  Anyway, I'll send you a Grado driver tomorrow.

This thread has really died down without our illustrious ringleader here. I hope all is well in the Bilavideo family.

Thanks for the compliment but, to be honest, I'm not sure it's all that deserved.  You guys are the talent.  I'm just the cheerleader.  What I see you come up with is nothing less than breathtaking.  I feel honored to be in a group that has so much talent and so much creativity.

I believe everything is allright. Just relax :)
This is THE thread around here.

Thanks, Xaval.  I agree.  I think this is where really cool stuff is happening.  Every time I check in, I'm blown away at something somebody came up with - and I don't think we're done quite yet.  Keep pushing the envelope.  I really believe our best days are yet to come.

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #2,211 of 5,004
The best is definitely yet to come!!! Welcome back Sir Willaim A. Video Knight of teh Grado mods!!!

I told Bill this but not sure if I posted it here but I've been sending pictures of the modded SR60's we all did to a bunch of headphone companies and Grado was one of the recipients and I believe they said "Those look Awesome". the guy at Woodees was duly impressed "those rock!" and maybe I'm off the reservation a bit because of all the meds I'm on but knowing corporate america as I do and what goes on I'd be willing to bet someone if not two people from Grado follow this thread everyday looking for something they can do without outwardly looking bad PR wise to get some of these ideas implemented..
so everybody say hi to the people at Grado....HI!!!!
atsmile.gif

Seriously from chatting with Bill we are all going to have lots of choices soon, wood types we haven't even heard of will be popping up....

We gotta find a way to redo/mod the piston thingy that connects the gimbal to the headband and the little semi locking/tightener do dad that holds the piston...we get a hold of some of these unique woods and color co=ordinate them with a new gimbal/piston assembly and headband---make the whole scheme be cool and we'll have some real fun.

anyway.....

tongue_smile.gif
Oh...whats the best way to semi-permanently attach the plastic driver tray into the shells so they won't fall apart but can be separated with light tools or what have you if the urge strikes ya...I want to finalize the BilaGradoeclein 4.0 model and use the SR125's I still have for future modding...I will be looking for some more stock 60's fairly shortly I think... 

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2,213 of 5,004

tongue_smile.gif
Oh...whats the best way to semi-permanently attach the plastic driver tray into the shells so they won't fall apart but can be separated with light tools or what have you if the urge strikes ya...I want to finalize the BilaGradoeclein 4.0 model and use the SR125's I still have for future modding...I will be looking for some more stock 60's fairly shortly I think... 

When I get caught up on my projects, I'd like to come up with some kind of bayonet mount.  Here's what I'm thinking: Why shouldn't you be able to swap out the shells the same way you can swap out the pads?  For certain kinds of music, certain shells may be a better match.  Wouldn't it be cool if you could just twist and snap a shell on or off the way a professional camera can be outfitted with different lenses with a twist and a click?

All of this could be retrofitted so that cables, pads and shells are as easy to mod up as lenses on a camera.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #2,214 of 5,004
I spent twenty minutes before work fashioning a pair of crude 'bowl pads' from the foam surrounds that came with my 60s - not the most comfortable or beautiful pad 'mod' ever, but the sonics convinced me that it was worth shelling out for a new pair of bowls (the pair that came with my 325is met with a very unfortunate demise that I'd prefer not to go into here..). Those bowls might be on the way, but the itch to splash out on a pair of Ms-PRO remains strong - I also welcome Bilavideo back, but he has a lot to answer for :)

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #2,216 of 5,004
Hey Bill (or anybody really) you wouldn't happen to know the height (head to cup) of the Jumbos would you? I'm still working on replacing that wire, but once I do, I need to get those things cut to a reasonable height.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #2,218 of 5,004
Interchangeable shells would be outstanding Bill, great idea but how to do it whats your plan, I know you got one...LOL.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2,219 of 5,004
I was wondering what you would suggest I do next to my 60's. I currently have the quarter mod and the white cloth removed from the headphones. I also vented the driver with probably about 5 holes on each side (best mod so far love the bass). Whats next? Is my next move to get some wooden cups to put on? I dont really have the time/tools/knowledge to make my own. I know Jmoney makes some decent ones but they are fairly pricey so maybe I just need to save up. Are getting the wood cups really worth the investment? Who would you suggest I buy from?

Thanks
Alex

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #2,220 of 5,004
Interchangeable shells would be outstanding Bill, great idea but how to do it whats your plan, I know you got one...LOL.

Detachable cables seems to be the only way to do that well enough though... We don't want to recable every set of shells in silver do we? Why not just the one? The only problem is where to get silver connectors for the detachment...

But the rest seems straightforward enough, at least the planning and theory, maybe not the actual production of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back