SR60-Mod
Mar 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #2,176 of 5,004
Add about 23%, then you are at $122, that would be about €87!
I paid €198 for my new SR80i!! And I doubt that the MS1's will sound a lot worse, some say they even sound better, more neutral...
Anyway, I will find out when I get my Ms1's shipped.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #2,177 of 5,004
charly777--The Alesandro's, I never even thought of them, that may be your best bet but I'll keep looking for ya...

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #2,178 of 5,004
So after a few weeks of lurking, I bought a pair of SR60i headphones and a Sansa Clip+ and loaded it up with FLAC. I'm absolutely loving it! But now I'm ready to mod my headphones! I've been in touch with Gary (Sharkz) about some wood cups, so I have that covered (related: Gary, my email is in my profile since we hit our 2 PM limit). I have a few questions though, that I haven't seen addressed.

1. As far as using hot steam to separate the cup, can I hold the piece over a humidifier? It seems like the same thing, but I'm worried that it may be too wet. Anyone tried this?

2. Poking out the holes, it seems 4-6 is the magic number, but which 4-6? I'm OCD so I'm inclined to do a symmetrical set around the driver, but is there a better way to do it?

Somewhat related: what would you recommend as a case for the headphones? I know they're intended to be used safely at home, but I find they're great for me at work. I work in a music publishing company, and I listen to a lot of music here. The open-air design is great because if someone needs my attention, I can hear them talking to me at regular volume levels and I don't look like and introverted fool. Also, I would rather die than use one earpiece on a stereo set.

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #2,179 of 5,004
Quote:
1. As far as using hot steam to separate the cup, can I hold the piece over a humidifier? It seems like the same thing, but I'm worried that it may be too wet. Anyone tried this?

snip...

Somewhat related: what would you recommend as a case for the headphones? I know they're intended to be used safely at home, but I find they're great for me at work. I work in a music publishing company, and I listen to a lot of music here. The open-air design is great because if someone needs my attention, I can hear them talking to me at regular volume levels and I don't look like and introverted fool. Also, I would rather die than use one earpiece on a stereo set.

A normal humidifier isn't hot enough.

I had one of these when I owned a pair of Grados and it was pretty nice.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #2,180 of 5,004
Scotty, the humidifier does seem like it would be too wet. I would try a hairdryer on one of the lower settings, thats what I used. I just placed the driver face down (so as not to damage the mylar) and used a spoon (or any other tapered item that will fit in) to seperate the cups after things are nice and heated up. I am leery of putting anything electrical near water, so this worked better in my mind.

As for the hole pattern, that shouldn't matter since all you are trying to do is increase the volume of air entering the area. I too like symmetry and poked four symmetrical holes, but it really shouldn't matter, it's not something you will ever see once the cups are on.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #2,181 of 5,004
OCD is me also...I did a pattern as there is a space where the wires go then 10 holes so I think I punched a hole then skipped some then, hole, skip, hole,skip you'll see...I often wondered if you put them all in one area if the sound could be influenced any further but didn't have like 15 pair to find out....I started with 4 holes, now I'm at 10 with Cocobolo shells.

Hairdryer works the best, not wet, you have control over how long and how hot, I always, always, always end up trying to open them too soon, it takes some heat so don't be afraid to let them cook a bit. Also my two pair seemed to have the glue line right where the screen/mesh meets the cap in that corner and then the driver tray was just pushed up against the whole mess and picked up the glue that way...so I concentrate the heat right at and around the lettering on the caps, that makes it easier.

PM me with any other OCD things your not comfy with putting out here...its all good...you'll be amazed!!!!

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2,182 of 5,004
Agree with the case recommended, I have one of those.  I have to take the pads off my phones to fit them in there, but for times I put them away, that is what I use.  I use cush-m or cush-L pads, so they will fit fine with my quarter modded cush-s pads (the stock ones).

I know that folks have had success with the hairdryer, I used boiling water in a frying pan, worked out great.  Used the timer on the stove so I would not cook them too badly.

When I initially poked only 4 or 6 holes, I left a spot between the holes.  I too have ended up with 10 holes, and they work well with the larger pads I prefer.

Sharkz, assume you want a set of i, if not, PM me there is a local guy selling the original 60's for a decent price, and shipping over to you should not be too bad.

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #2,183 of 5,004
I mentioned my cutter wire broke awhile back. Well, here's the mini-jumbo I was working on when it snapped, hence the rough ear hole. They work fairly well though, but the combination of comfie and jumbo sounds off. Nice and airy on one ear and closed up on the other (nowhere near closed cans, but comparatively speaking...).

Well, here you go:
1001088y.jpg

(Real camera this time :))

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #2,184 of 5,004
Allesandrosare based on the 125 driver and the improved version is based on the 125i version. They sound better than the stock 80 and they are almost as good as modded 80i's but no bass.

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #2,185 of 5,004
so, my set of modded grado sr80is recently developed uneven volume between the ears.  Would cleaning the driver or anything like that help fix it?  It's odd, it was fine for weeks then randomly overnight it just got bad.  I'm gonna recheck my recabling and make sure none of it is touching the ground somehow, but only after you guys give me your 2 cents

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #2,186 of 5,004
sml1226--those are like Jumbo-Jumbos!!!!

dye1337-cabling problem, its gotta be right?? Why would one side have decreased volume all of a sudden, but then again if it was cabling then it would cut out, are you sure its not your amp/source/etc??

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2,187 of 5,004
sml1226--those are like Jumbo-Jumbos!!!!

dye1337-cabling problem, its gotta be right?? Why would one side have decreased volume all of a sudden, but then again if it was cabling then it would cut out, are you sure its not your amp/source/etc??

Jumbo in height, yeah, but the eventual result I had planned was going to be far smaller. I was planning to cut them down right after I finished that center hole but, you know... the thing broke. It acts as a nice distancer if nothing else. It's oddly fun to wear and I'm anxious to get a new cutting wire.

As for the imbalanced volume on these, I'm not sure if you didn't recable them and do as you said touching connections. I had a cheapo pair of IEMs do that to me and it turned out the foam at the tip of one broke loose and acted as a barrier for the sound dropping my left driver's volume way down. About 2 minutes and a toothpick solved that but with Grados that wouldn't be a problem unless you have some odd misshapen pads... like the ones I was cutting :p

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #2,188 of 5,004
I've tried numerous sources and used other headphones to double check.  My recabling job was fine too (at least I believe it was).  I'll try shootng some dust off into the grados and see if that works, maybe something fell on them and is preventing it from working right?  If that fails, I'll throw the stock cable on and see what that does

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #2,190 of 5,004

Not nearly hot enough. I tried the hot water trick but it didn't work. I then tried the hair dryer trick which did work. Bear in mind it takes a while so don't give up. Bilavideo has guides to help if you aint already read them. Good luck
Quote:
Originall 1. As far as using hot steam to separate the cup, can I hold the piece over a humidifier? It seems like the same thing, but I'm worried that it may be too wet. Anyone tried this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back