SR60-Mod
Mar 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #2,041 of 5,004
I know it sounds funny to say white ebony...

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #2,042 of 5,004
Very Zebrawood-like. That was my only disappointment, the lumber yard I visited was out of Zebrawood. Some guy had claimed it all for a very good looking bar surface.

It almost looks like those tasty black and white swirled brownies.....

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #2,043 of 5,004

Quote:
White ebony isnt that an oxymoron
confused_face(1).gif

May be, but it sure is some good sh!t :wink:

Mar 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #2,044 of 5,004
Well, it looks really sweet, but it is hard to mill well - it "checks" when you mill it down to 3/8 thickness or so, I had to make 3 cups to get 2...  I will sand them and dremel the cable spot another day, I am tired of this stuff for now.  It does have a nice vanilla and chocolate swirl thing going on though, I will try them out and see how they sound vs East Indian Rosewood.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #2,045 of 5,004
I feel your pain. I had to make three Padauk cups to get two, although my third is still good. Better than the day before when I made five and could use none. Even the Purpleheart, I made two and am not sure one will be usable due to some cracking. I guess such is the nature of the work.

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #2,046 of 5,004

[size=small]Hello gang, emboldened by Bilavideos recent basket mod I chose to follow suite. However instead of drilling additional holes in the basket as Bill did, I chose to simply enlarge the existing holes (from the stock .116” diameter to .193” by “hand” drilling using successively larger drill bits). [/size]
[size=small] [/size]

Before mod:

[size=small][/size]

After Mod:

[size=small][/size]

Well, aren't you a clever son of a !@#!#!!!

Nice job, Big Bill.  I'll bet they sound awesome!  Tell me if they do, because if they do, WE'VE GOT ANOTHER MOD!!!!!!!

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #2,048 of 5,004
I found that 4 holes in each side made a nice difference, 6 holes was perfect with the bowl pads, and 10 holes can be a little loose, but I am hoping it is perfect for the bagel pads, if they ever show up.  I would start with 4 per side, then reassemble with tape or blu tack, and test.  Using the stock comfies, 4 holes is very nice.

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #2,049 of 5,004

Quote:

Well, aren't you a clever son of a !@#!#!!!

Nice job, Big Bill.  I'll bet they sound awesome!  Tell me if they do, because if they do, WE'VE GOT ANOTHER MOD!!!!!!!

Thank you sir!  I'd have gone wider, however the blades of the drill bit were all but scraping the Mylar at the drivers edge @ .193" diameter. They do indeed sound amazing post mod and I believe this mod is a must for any one who has fully liberated their drivers. My thinking here is that once the forward resistance supplied by the factory grill/wave guide is removed, the balance of resistance between front/rear of the diagram becomes skewed and needs "adjusting".

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #2,050 of 5,004
After venting 2 holes I seem to be noticing some boominess on certain bass frequencies. Sounds like the cup is resonating. Have you guys noticed this? I can't compare to how they used to sound, but I never noticed a trace of boominess before with my grados...

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2,051 of 5,004
Well, I wrecked a driver. I don't know how it happened. I was careful during my recable and have checked all my connections twice and my right driver is dead. I am so freaking mad right now. I wish I knew what I did wrong.

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #2,052 of 5,004
thats why grado does not vent drivers on plastic housings... put felt around it to suppress the boom. you might experience some crowdiness afterwards.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #2,053 of 5,004

Quote:
Well, I wrecked a driver. I don't know how it happened. I was careful during my recable and have checked all my connections twice and my right driver is dead. I am so freaking mad right now. I wish I knew what I did wrong.

Did you wire it wrong?

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #2,054 of 5,004
No, must have melted/broke something. No idea how, I was very careful with low heat and everything. I have soldered and unsoldered the other driver like 5x now with issues with it. I am really annoyed though.

If anyone has an extra driver to spare, please PM me. I am interested in getting another as soon as possible!

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2,055 of 5,004

thats why grado does not vent drivers on plastic housings... put felt around it to suppress the boom. you might experience some crowdiness afterwards.

It has taken me three readings to get to what you are saying.  On my first two readings, I thought you were telling him what a fool he was to vent the drivers.  Instead, as I now see it, you are saying what I am saying, that Grado uses the felt to suppress the boominess that would occur with plastic housings.  The real culprit here is the plastic housing.  Plastic sucks.  Change to wood or aluminum and life gets better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back