SR60-Mod
Feb 18, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,487 of 5,004
Is that UV reactive tubing for PC case modding around your cables?

And I need to buy more shrink tubing, so what do people use? Standard Polyolefin 2:1 or 3:1 or some other material? I'm going to have to order wire soon, so as long as I'm ordering stuff, I can order whatever, but if it's the usual 2:1 stuff, I can get that anywhere locally.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #1,489 of 5,004
Well I think I'm done... for now at least 
cool.gif

Here's the list of mods I made to my SR-80i
- Removed white silk cloth between ear and driver
- 10 holes punched at the back of the driver
- Back of driver magnet dampened using Dynamat Extreme
- J$ Brown Lambskin Headband
- L-Cushions aka "bowls" (instead of stock S-Cushions aka "comfies")
- Adjustable locking collars
- Cocobolo shells (made from Bilavideo) that I finished with Boiled Linseed Oil and added my own black metallic screen
- Stock cord shortened to 4 feet
- New 1/4in connector to replace stock one

Here's the final result. I decided not to varnish or use a shiny finish on the shells, just BLO. I prefer the matte finish and feel of the bare wood.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #1,490 of 5,004

Quote:
Is that UV reactive tubing for PC case modding around your cables?

And I need to buy more shrink tubing, so what do people use? Standard Polyolefin 2:1 or 3:1 or some other material? I'm going to have to order wire soon, so as long as I'm ordering stuff, I can order whatever, but if it's the usual 2:1 stuff, I can get that anywhere locally.

It isn't UV reactive but it catches the light really well.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #1,492 of 5,004

Quote:
Majestic that band is excellent. I'm still debating if I want to order one or make one myself.

What exactly did you do? Just take two pieces of leather and stitch them over the existing Grado headband? And did you add any padding to it? And if not, does it feel fine without any padding?

I'm leaning towards making my own comfort band(I think this will be more rewarding than simply buying an already made one), and I think your way is the way to go. It looks great.

You guys seem absolutely addicted to modding(especially Bill). It's been a pleasure following this thread and watching what everyone is coming up with it.

Thanks I appreciate the kind words. Both pieces are leather. I did wrap them around the original band that acts as extra padding. The leather is soft so it feels good on my big noggin.
 I did not want too much bulk so it's not that thick, I just wanted something a little wider. This was an experiment that turned out ok. I enjoyed the process and freedom of making it and the cost. Who can complain about $8.00 worth of leather scraps. I really wanted to do it on the premise of what I had laying around but I could not find anything good. It really does feel good to put your spin on something. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #1,493 of 5,004

Quote:
Hey Bill,
You're definitely taking it to the next level. Well done! I have never worked with aluminum before but I'm so tempted to find somewhere where I can get stock like yours. Bigger gimbal, outer alum shell with inner wood perhaps would fulfill my dream of being able to enter that sacred ps category diy style.

Majestic, that is some awesome work. The stitching is superb.

Cheers guys, keep it up.

Thanks. I tried to space the stitching evenly at first so it would look like a machine sewed it but as I was punching the holes I started to space out. I almost scraped the project but then realized that I tend to lean towards flaws. It's seems more natural and less mechanical more akin to the an early tradition of hand made items from a time of craftsman. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #1,495 of 5,004

These use inners and outers to create an all-aluminum headphone.

I use .028 aluminum mesh to keep my ears from disturbing the drivers.  The inner lets me mount the driver snugly.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #1,497 of 5,004

Quote:
Thanks I appreciate the kind words. Both pieces are leather. I did wrap them around the original band that acts as extra padding. The leather is soft so it feels good on my big noggin.
 I did not want too much bulk so it's not that thick, I just wanted something a little wider. This was an experiment that turned out ok. I enjoyed the process and freedom of making it and the cost. Who can complain about $8.00 worth of leather scraps. I really wanted to do it on the premise of what I had laying around but I could not find anything good. It really does feel good to put your spin on something. 

Nice. You definitely can't beat $8.

There's a fabric store down the road from me that I'm going to go to tomorrow, I'm hoping they will have leather(never been to a fabric store, so I have no idea if they sell that). If they do, then I'm going your route.

I don't want to take my band off the L and R plastic pieces. My pair is only two days old, and my luck I'll totally destroy those pieces if I try to take them off. So wrapping around the existing leather band and sewing them together sounds like the best way for me.

I'm still debating if I want to throw a little bit of cushion in there though. But if you say that the soft leather does a good enough job of cushioning, then maybe I'll forget about the cushion. It's just that I don't want to get them sewn together(which is going to be a job since I don't have a sewing machine) then find out that I should have thrown some extra padding in them...

Thanks for the reply, and great job again on your mod.

cavedave your band looks great too. Love the Grado name on top of it.

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #1,498 of 5,004
Hey hows it going AmbientRevolt? I have always had a set of Grados laying around they work really well with some music and most amps. I dont have the 2000 any more and just went and got another set of HD650. The 2000s were alright but not all alround headphone for me any way. I bought a older headroom amp and the sennheisers work well with it. I seem to always go back to the HD-600 and HD-650 which I have both of. Do you still have the HD-650? For the others who asked the 60i were just bought stock and a piece of cardas cable and furutech plug added. I got the fatman headband from headroom the tan was on sale and with a little leather dye looks kinda cool. I also added small strips of leather on the outside of the cups. I have owned all of the Grados except the RS-1 and can tell you that adding the Cardas cable to the 60I is a way cheap way of bringing them up to compete with the best of them. I should say I have no desire to have the ones in the top of the line up over these. The cable makes a lot of diffrence on Grados in fact most of it.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #1,499 of 5,004

Quote:

Yeah you can add padding in there. You will have to experiment on the thickness. The black leather I had was a little to thick so It would have compressed the batting too much. Like I said this is the foundation to what I will end up with. If I can get some lamb skin then I will gut the bottom off and try some padding.

Good luck as I know you can do this simple mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back