SR60-Mod
Feb 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #1,456 of 5,004
Hey Bill, are you going to try out a aluminum inner and woodie outer? I don't think that's been done yet :confused_face(1): I've seen the reverse a few times, but I'd be interested to see if there's a reason for that decision.

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #1,457 of 5,004

Quote:
Hey Bill, are you going to try out a aluminum inner and woodie outer? I don't think that's been done yet
confused_face(1).gif
I've seen the reverse a few times, but I'd be interested to see if there's a reason for that decision.

YES... reverse HF2 
biggrin.gif

In all honesty, I don't think it would change the sound very much.

BTW, bill. Where do you get the aluminum? Is it like pipe that you buy and cut it up yourself?

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #1,458 of 5,004

Hey Bill, are you going to try out a aluminum inner and woodie outer? I don't think that's been done yet
confused_face(1).gif
I've seen the reverse a few times, but I'd be interested to see if there's a reason for that decision.

Absolutely.  I want to try wood, then aluminum as well as aluminum, then wood.  I've got some work ahead.  I need to cut the clamp holes, cut the cable hole and sand the edges.  The aluminum rings that I got with them will be a nice replacement for the plastic C clamps that are stock.  

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Right now, I'd say cocobolo has more punch in the bass but aluminum really does something to the sound stage.  I'm picking up the little artifacts that come from the recording environment.  The sense of soundstage is more pronounced.  The detail is superb.  My immediate thought was to the HD800 and how it picks up on all those tiny little details that indicate a more spacious soundstage.  Case in point, The Who's Behind Blue Eyes.  There's an intricacy to the strumming, right around "If I swallow anything evil . . . . "  I guess I had always heard it simpler.  If I heard eighth notes, I didn't hear the sixteenth's notes - or something like that.  I don't know if the bass is better than cocobolo but the mids and treble are fantastic.  I can see why aluminum is such a draw - and this aluminum hasn't even been sanded or properly fitted!

Right now, I could cut wood rings to fit onto the aluminum inner, and probably have it done within a day or so.  One thing I like about what I've got so far is the single-body shell with no continuity issues from front to back.  There are so many ways to play this - the thought of it makes me want to call in sick and take a play day tomorrow - but I won't.  Kids have to be taught and I have to be there.  But afterwards . . .  It's going to be a very exciting weekend!

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #1,460 of 5,004
Aluminum is what I was considering since there's not many places that sell scrap hard wood around here. Pipe was the way I wanted to go so hopefully Bills weekend  will give me some Ideas. I know the Gimble approach will work. Just cut out a small portion of a ring near the bottom and it's malleable enough to form it to just the right grip or shape. I have been looking at hobby stores for aluminum or brass but no luck yet so pipe is the answer I just need to find some. I'm not giving up on Wood though.

Mod on Brave Bill............

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #1,461 of 5,004
I found a wooden shell I could use immediately to try an HF2-style impression.

The larger shell was so much more dynamic, I ended up tossing the make-shift wood front in favor of simple single-body aluminum in both shells.

These rings are too large for the stock gimbal ring.  Fortunately, I have replacement aluminum I intend to use to replace the stock ring.  In the meantime, I am nothing less than shocked - both by the simplicity of the design and its effectiveness.  The bass is authoritative while the high end is crisp and open.  There's no loss of Grado intimacy but the capture of so much detail, particularly the airy artifacts of the recording environment, leaves a much greater sense of soundstage.

Listening to Bob Marley's Stir It Up, I can hear the little reverb effects built into the guitar amp.  For the first time, I'm thinking of how the vocals have been synthesized to add a slight reverb.  On Korn's Hold On, the presentation was full and dynamic - so dynamic I had to better brace the drivers and add more Dynamat to stop a "chirp, chirp, chirp" I was getting from my right driver.  Now, everything is fine and I'm swallowed up in a wall of sound.  Suzanne's Vega's Undertow leaves more space between the hearer and the vocals.  She doesn't feel in your face but more distant and her voice is balanced against the other details of the recording, including the echoes of the room (real or simulated).  All of the instruments in the track just crackle.  The bass is authoritative but controlled.  (I'm having an eargasm.)  

On Tom Petty's Breakdown, the drumming has a heavy thump to it but it's tight and controlled.  I can hear the fret squeaks on the guitar, the whispers, and the sonic black in-between the notes.  I can hear the snaps and the guitar has a fiery quality that's more vivid.  This is a studio recording of a mellow song but there's a rawness to it that the aluminum really brings out.  I had to cut back the volume a tad with Smash Mouth's Walkin' on the Sun but damned if it doesn't feel as fresh as a sandwich in a ziplock bag.  There's an instrument that sounds like a cross between a saxophone and a cazoo that just has this throatiness that's hard not to notice.  On Styx's Crystal Ball, the acoustic guitar work is as loud, if not louder, than the vocals.  When the chorus kicks in and the full bass lands, it's totally impactful but tight.  I'm having that experience I had with the HD800, where it feels like an LP, not MP3.

On Body Count's Momma's Gotta Die Tonight, I'm getting a crispness bordering on sibilance.  I'm not just getting reverb, I'm getting the slight asynchrony between the channels.  On Steely Dan's Deacon Blues, I'm simultaneously aware of the slight echo to the vocals while feeling an authoritative - but not overbearing - thump from the combined bass and drum.  I can't believe the balance!  On Pablo Cruise's Love Will Find a Way, the echo off the drums is as present as the thump.  On The Rolling Stone's When The Whip Comes Down, I'm reminded of the SR325 on its best day.  Flight of the Conchord's I'm Not Crying sounds so natural, it's like being there.  In fact, I plunked $125 down to "be there," a couple of rows away from the stage when these guys came to town and - while there's no soundstage quite like real life - the sound I'm getting from these cans is eerily natural.

John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk's Off Minor sounds even more spacious - and live.  The decay rate of aluminum really helps add that sense of space, not by echoing high frequency sounds but by going to black quicker and leaving room for subtler details.  I have no idea how I'm going to integrate all this with what I have, or whether I need to, but I'm having a jaw-dropping experience.  

On The Who's Pinball Wizard, the bass lines stand out as much as the acoustic guitar riffs.  Surprisingly, one of the bassiest tracks was Ambrosia's 70s ballad How Much I Feel, a song whose bass beat was as overcooked as its nauseating pick-up line ("I've got a wife now, years we've been growing strong, but there's something I've just got to say, sometimes when we make love, I still see your face").  I was going to toss David Sanborn's Butterfat as an exception, where I wasn't as impressed, but when the saxes kicked in, I had to eat those thoughts.  The Charlie Daniels Band's The South is Gonna Do It Again features an eerie, sizzling fiddle solo but these cans also capture the distance.  Collective Soul's Where The River Flows is a great example of what you can get with good decay rate.  Those gritty guitars never sounded more hypnotic and the vocals aren't in your face, either.  

Not every track is equally euphonic.  On the Rolling Stone's Satisfaction, the detail undoes the recording, at least to some extent.  The vocals are too distant.  The bass line and the tamborine are equally prominent - an unlikelihood to be sure.  For the first time, I feel critical of this recording and the recording levels of separate tracks I can now make out.  ELO's Mambo, from On The Third Day, betrays similar dubious studio choices, though the crispness of this early-70s recording is refreshing.  I don't think I've ever heard the bass line as distinct as I hear it here.  The vocals are impeccable, as are the pre-full-orchestra strings.   The picking, legato and tremelo are scrumptious.  This is a better recording than I had ever heard it before.  Alanis Morisette's Ironic is a totally different recording.  The song doesn't just go from a break-down beginning to commercial fullness.  There's a wah-wah kind of shimmering that goes from channel to channel, a kind of slick, subtle, subliminal excitement thrown in - and now I hear it.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #1,462 of 5,004
So my recent slow but finished change is the headband. Using a piece of leather from Hobby lobby for $3.00 and some scrap I had the end result is this. Looks are what you may see on old pilot headsets. I like the leather look especially aged and oiled leather. I figure as time goes these will get that Ball glove look, just like my 30 year old baseball glove......The really great thing is you can slide it off and try a new one. I plan on a different approach on the next one as this is a prototype. Yes it's hand stitched and my fingers are sore.....
biggrin.gif

For now this will do and I'll move onto the cups next..........

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #1,463 of 5,004

Nice work Bill!!

Thanks, Big Bill.  You really did me a nice turn, back there, with those pictures of your mod.  My heart kinda sank into my chest when I saw that shell and thought, "Man, somebody did a better job than I did.  That shell sure is sweet."  It hadn't yet occurred to me where that shell had come from.  You take a fine picture.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #1,464 of 5,004

Quote:
So my recent slow but finished change is the headband. Using a piece of leather from Hobby lobby for $3.00 and some scrap I had the end result is this. Looks are what you may see on old pilot headsets. I like the leather look especially aged and oiled leather. I figure as time goes these will get that Ball glove look, just like my 30 year old baseball glove......The really great thing is you can slide it off and try a new one. I plan on a different approach on the next one as this is a prototype. Yes it's hand stitched and my fingers are sore.....
biggrin.gif

Now THAT'S a freakin' headband!  Well done!

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #1,465 of 5,004
Thank you good Sir.....Yeah I wanted to see if "Wider is better" as the original thin head band had a tendency to move around a lot when I adjusted in my chair and it drove me nuts.  So far I like the change......

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #1,466 of 5,004
You know Bill, when I first assembled them I went Damn......Where did my drivers go.....Then I remembered that this was an experiment with better fit and feel for the top of my head. The sound is already awesome and will get better. So on to the next Mod and than the refinement of fit and finish.......
Thanks for the positive response. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,467 of 5,004
It looks like the bottom half of the leather, or something suede on the underside. How'd you do that part? But I do like the result. I'm not sure how you'd do it since the old headsets were closed phones, but I think it would be really interesting to just go all out with an aviator theme. And no, nothing like the Skullcandy Aviators.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #1,468 of 5,004

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Majestic that's awesome!

Did you just put the new one on over the old one and how did you pattern it out?

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #1,469 of 5,004
Yeah I like the aviator sets as it's kinda of an inspiration.  The bottom piece is leather from a scrap bag you get at Hobby Lobby. The top is finished leather. The thread is waxed thread for leather stitching. 

Thanks for your kind words.

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,470 of 5,004
Thanks Kneel.

After cutting the top piece out I just stared and stared and stared at it. I was not sure how it would come out. I was thinking to deep and detailed and then realized simple is better. The original piece was rectangular so I cut from center to a taper near where the clamps would be. Then the piece was too short to reach the ends so the scraps were added to the to give it leagnth and it ended up adding a little depth to everything...

Funny as thats how things go. What seems like defeat ended up adding a new twist. Now to get it to center was the next task so as I laid out two strips to flank the middle and create a center channel I realized that I disliked the original headband so it was gladly donated to be the centering piece. So yeah you got it Kneel. It's in there. It now keeps everything in the middle with adding thickness that the extra leather would have.

Thanks for the positive words..

Keep the mod revolution rolling. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back