SR60-Mod
Feb 16, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #1,426 of 5,004
sharkz, I totally get what you mean about the headband. I just got my Beyer headband in the mail today... that I ordered over two weeks ago.

Good:
 - they ship to Canada (not everyone does this)
 - nicely packed in a box
 - shipped out within 4 business days of my order
 - no customs or brokerage fees (Beyer collects Canadian HST)
 - Beyer responded to my email asking about the order status

Bad:
 - shipping cost for me was $25 (to Canada)
 - postage stamp on the box was $5.01 USPS
 - no tracking number
 - did I mention it took over two weeks?

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #1,427 of 5,004
Too bad I didn't know sooner, I could have ordered two to split shipping with you and sent you one. That would have helped us both. See at least you are reasonably far away. Like I said, I am like 40 miles or less. I could drive there in less than an hour spending less than $10 on gas. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #1,428 of 5,004
What I did with the thicker shell sharkz was to keep my plastic cup from my sr 60 intact.  For my second set of cans I completely liberated the driver.  As for the purpleheart I was a little sadened by the fact that nobody will see it but what I'm about to say might label me as a lunatic:
After experimenting with alder, walnut, oak, jatoba, maple and purpleheart I found that the jatoba outside and the purpleheart inside really sounded quite good.  I won't go into the mumbo jumbo but the mix of the woods somehow just hit the right spot according to the liberated driver recipe.

Thanks to melvins92 and bilavideo for the kind comments.

Quote:
Looks great guys. Too bad that purpleheart is hidden away where it won't be seen. I seriously must be the only one without access to reasonably priced and beautiful woods like these. Although I guess I can't complain about my sources of cheap mahogany.

Al, thanks for the information. Might have to try to make a slip case for mine like that (where I can slide my driver in). I like the way the thicker ring looks (more RS like). I still need to get to make my cups. Lots of other stuff and projects going on, not getting any better either, going to look at a car tonight!

Last try for this. Has anyone here upgraded a JMoney headband or just has a spare Beyer band they want to get rid of? I refuse to pay Beyers ridiculous shipping (maybe I am a jerk) and just want to try a pad out. Apparently no one has an extra or one they want to get rid of now and I would really like to try one out.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #1,429 of 5,004
I think I just may try this sort of thing myself sometime this month.

I have an extensive collection of grados already as well as tweaks, etc. Doing some actual hard modding might be fun! :)

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #1,431 of 5,004
I've been to Kansas... there's nothing great about it!

Has anybody considered a single piece design? If I can manage to find anything but oak in a turnable piece I'm probably going to try it, but if anybody beats me to it, let me know.

EDIT: I just thought about it and I'm not too sure how to go about the change in size from "inner" to "outer" in a single piece design. Dremel cutoff wheel seems to be the bet way to gut the ring created by the difference from the two hole saws, but if anybody has a better idea... especially since that seems prone to wobbling caused by my inability to go perfectly straight around a circle when cutting with a wheel/grinder

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,432 of 5,004
What a funny thread to try to keep up with!

I have done some of the simple mods - removed the white cloth, opened the cups, punched 6 holes.  I have bought the 2 and 2.5 inch hole saws, and a block of bubinga to make rear cups, and bought the mesh off the classifieds here too.

I intend to leave the front cup plastic initially.

I also intend to 1000 my MS1i's once I have all the fun I can with my sr60i's.

Great thread guys!

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,433 of 5,004
I have been following this thread for some time and want to say awesome everyone just awesome! I got the MS2i's and have punched four holes in them and removed the inner plastic rings and now they sound just wonderful
smily_headphones1.gif

I would like to recable them in silver and upgrade to wooden inner cups but alas no wood working stuff at home

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #1,435 of 5,004
hey question!

im about to take apart my grado last night then hesitated when i have no idea on how i can glue the cup and driver holder back together.
how did you do it guys? 

im still looking for suitable hole saws for the woodies so venting and chamber dampening will be the first mod ill do.

thanks!

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #1,436 of 5,004
hey question!

im about to take apart my grado last night then hesitated when i have no idea on how i can glue the cup and driver holder back together.
how did you do it guys? 

im still looking for suitable hole saws for the woodies so venting and chamber dampening will be the first mod ill do.

thanks!

Start with something manageable.  

1. Quarter-mod the comfies.
2. Carefully remove the grill cloth.
3. Dynamod the magnet plate and the back of the rear-grill button.
4. Take a ballpoint pen and vent a few holes in the driver (following up with the tip of the mini plug to remove hanging chads).

You can worry about further enhancements after you've gotten your feet wet.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #1,437 of 5,004
FYI I use blu-tack to hold the cups together, after taking them apart to mod.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #1,440 of 5,004
Hello gang, I received my Cocobolo shells form bilavideo Monday and set about the task of modding my 60's last night. I wanted the ability to A/B the drivers with and without mods so I've only modded one side of my phones so far. Here is a list of the mods I performed: 1) Removed the grill cloth. 2) Drilled out as much of the plastic driver grill as I could and still maintain some structural integrity of said grill. 3) Dynamatted the rear of the driver. 4) Opened four of the rear driver venting holes. I haven't had the time to properly evaluate the difference between the two yet but I'll post again once I have.

Here are some pics:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back