SR60-Mod
Feb 19, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,516 of 5,004

[size=medium]

Thank you for the kind words Maverick!  These things are not only really amazing sounding they do look really cool, IMHO!   I will be trying something like this with my 325i and aluminum would be perfect for those!  
Quote:
Carpe Grado!

Seriously, I'm lovin those gimbals man. It makes me wanna try the same thing with a peice of almuminum pipe. Maybe over spring break. Incredible work though!

​
[/size]

Bila!

Thanks for the kind words.  As you know I blew out a driver about 3ish weeks ago, and was rather grumbley (wth kinda word is that) and bemoaning but you know what.  I stuck with it.  And at first, the shells I made were thick, huge and just our tight not going to work.  But I made it work.  Otherwise I was down a driver AND 50 bucks of....  COCOBOLO!  You guessed it Bila, cocobola.  Yea, I hand sanded it with 600 girt paper, and then lacquered it, thats also how I managed to hold the gold screens in place.  I thought the gold look would look really good with the cocobola.  Just a little gold rattle can, and then a quick spray of finish.  And the gimbal / gyroscope idea came from these huge betsy's sitting on my head.  They were just to big to do anything with.
This is just an example of how much bigger they are compared to the clamps on my 325i.  

I guess if I had just measured twice and cut once and not messed up with a pair of the measurements we might not have something as interesting as the beast on my head.  But i already had holes in the wood, and wasn't going to let something like the visual circus of these things being... "large" stop me.  

Also, in the lines of the other mods that I did to these ( I guess I should edit my OP )  I ended up going 6 holes in the back and modding the rear side of the driver with the TAK.  I mean these things are amazing.  Both through my portable and through my LD MKIII with Mullard M8161's.  I want to just listen to everything all at once.  But Caught In A Mosh (with John Bush on Vocals) by Anthrax currently has me spellbound.  I am currently sitting on Scott Ians guitar dancing between his fingers as he fills my head with the main riff.  Maybe next time I will worry about the fact that there are 4 other people in the band.  But not right now.  There's to much beautiful distortion!

2)  About this,  I have no idea where I bought them from.  They had been hanging in a toolbox for awhile.  
Quote:

God bless you, Narynan, for your enthusiasm and creativity.  I believe you when you say that you've found bass like you never had it before, as well as a lot more soundstage.  Brother, I'm a believer.  Tell me two things:

1) What kind of wood did you use?  It looks somewhat like cocobolo.  Is it tiger wood or something else?

2) Where did you score the machine screws?  You've created a true gimbal - like the light mechanism you'd see on a yacht.

You did good, kid, very good.  You are yet one more example of the adventurous spirit of our Grado modders.  Everybody has a different sense of style.  We're not all going to want the same thing.  What's cool is that we no longer want or need permission to take ownership of our headphones.  I applaud your audacity.  Keep it up.

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #1,517 of 5,004

Quote:

If I were you, and I'm not 
wink.gif
, I'd cut a little of the gimbal at the bottom so the cable isn't bent. Other than that, you inspired me. In a couple weeks when my dad gets home, I'll try and find a gimbal similar to yours.

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #1,519 of 5,004

It would require re-soldering, which I am not yet ready to do.  I am going to recable these and then that will be something i might do.  The major problem is going to be that if I drill a big enough hole for the wire to sneak through, at least at this size, I walk a fine line of compromising the integrity of the gimbal.  So, yes, while I say its done... it is in the way that they are fully functionable, and usable.  Are they 100% complete?  Nope.  
Quote:

Oh I apologize I didn't know that it replaced the crescent cause I wasn't looking for that. 
It definitely looks better than the crescent 

Edit: Oh I was wondering if it was possibly that you could drill a hole in the bottom of the pvc to feed the wire through? Or would that require resoldering to the drivers?

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #1,520 of 5,004

I was thinking about that, however, I dont know how well the notch will work.  Not to mention that if they come back out of a notch system that they will just need to be pushed back into the cut out area. 

gs1000.gif
   Still so much to do with these if I want them PERFECT.  But that might be for another weekend.

Quote:

If I were you, and I'm not 
wink.gif
, I'd cut a little of the gimbal at the bottom so the cable isn't bent. Other than that, you inspired me. In a couple weeks when my dad gets home, I'll try and find a gimbal similar to yours.

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #1,521 of 5,004
Hey would you guys say invest in the cocobolo or just get the cheaper wood? I'm on a budget and not sure if it's worth the investment

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #1,522 of 5,004
Someone smarter than me once said there's a fine line between genius and insanity. Those of you with grados in hand can tell me which side I might be with the following suggestion. I should preface it by saying that I know the bowls contribute to the sound so bearing that in mind, how plausible would it be to have a circumaural setup? People often complain about the comfort factor of grados, rubbing on the ear and the like, though I'm not sure where everyone is now can really be called grados at this stage. :wink: Any takers?

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #1,523 of 5,004

Quote:
Hey would you guys say invest in the cocobolo or just get the cheaper wood? I'm on a budget and not sure if it's worth the investment

Cocobolo all the way. I have red oak and the cocobolo sounds much nicer. 

Quote:
Someone smarter than me once said there's a fine line between genius and insanity. Those of you with grados in hand can tell me which side I might be with the following suggestion. I should preface it by saying that I know the bowls contribute to the sound so bearing that in mind, how plausible would it be to have a circumaural setup? People often complain about the comfort factor of grados, though I'm not sure where everyone is now can really be called grados at this stage. Any takers?

Have you heard of Jumbos? Also, about halfway through this page they adapted Beyer pads for grados.

Feb 20, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #1,525 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:
Have you heard of Jumbos? Also, about halfway through this page they adapted Beyer pads for grados.

I'd heard of the jumbos though I thought they were just larger bowls with the same problems, not being quite circumaural. If that's not the case then I stand corrected. Will look into those and the beyer pads. Thanks!

Well, I wasn't saying that you should buy the beyer pads. They seem obscenely expensive. If I still had Beyer pads I would've just cut up a cd case and used that.

Feb 20, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #1,526 of 5,004

Quote:
Cocobolo all the way. I have red oak and the cocobolo sounds much nicer. 

thanks man

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #1,527 of 5,004

Quote:
Well I think I'm done... for now at least 
cool.gif

Here's the list of mods I made to my SR-80i
- Removed white silk cloth between ear and driver
- 10 holes punched at the back of the driver
- Back of driver magnet dampened using Dynamat Extreme
- J$ Brown Lambskin Headband
- L-Cushions aka "bowls" (instead of stock S-Cushions aka "comfies")
- Adjustable locking collars
- Cocobolo shells (made from Bilavideo) that I finished with Boiled Linseed Oil and added my own black metallic screen
- Stock cord shortened to 4 feet
- New 1/4in connector to replace stock one

Here's the final result. I decided not to varnish or use a shiny finish on the shells, just BLO. I prefer the matte finish and feel of the bare wood.

Just finished putting the coco's on my 225's (thanks Billavideo). Next on the list is the headband.  I tell you what though, considering changing the cups was my first attempt at modding ANYTHING! I wasn't half sweating in case I got it wrong! Took me ages to get the 225 cups off, I think they were held on with Kryptonite!

Am I wrong to add pics of my modded 225's here? Is this to be kept a strict 60 page? I can always start a new thread for the pics of my mod I suppose?

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #1,528 of 5,004
that's a sexy pair of headphones. where did you find that black mettalic screen? It's shmexy

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #1,529 of 5,004
This thread is just getting TOO awesome guys.

Best thread on these boards, seriously.

Amazing designs and creativity: crazy woods, aluminum, frankenstein gimbals and machinery with spikey stuff making loud noises... oh yeah, and dead drivers... and sexy polishing! You need a bit of violence and sex to spice it up :)

Looking forward for more pics dudes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back